• 2184 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner

tytalan

• Newb
« Reply #2056 on: <09-25-15/1710:14> »
Moar images!

I'm digging this arcology design, I could see it in some city with a stong elven influence.

This arcology I could easily see in Detroit (which I am working on an update from Target:UCAS). Though I'll need to check out some geophysical maps of the region and see if it could support something like this.

Being from Michigan and near Detroit I have to sadly say no it can not support that type of building.  When Michiganders thalk about Detroit falling in to the salt mines we are not kidding .
Also all of lower Michigan except a sliver on the Wisconsin side is one big sand bar left over from the last ice-age. 

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #2057 on: <09-26-15/0600:10> »
Being from Michigan and near Detroit I have to sadly say no it can not support that type of building.  When Michiganders thalk about Detroit falling in to the salt mines we are not kidding .
Also all of lower Michigan except a sliver on the Wisconsin side is one big sand bar left over from the last ice-age.
New tech can be amazing. London is also built on really poor soil for building large, which is why it has for so long been so flat compared to other major cities. In the last few years, though, buildings have been shooting up.

tytalan

• Newb
« Reply #2058 on: <09-26-15/1457:52> »
I do not know I think London has some bedrock to work with I know Detroit does not.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2059 on: <09-27-15/0023:17> »
I do not know I think London has some bedrock to work with I know Detroit does not.

Nanotech could have changed that. Well, before the current problems, anyway.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2060 on: <09-27-15/0033:41> »

Nanotech could have changed that. Well, before the current problems, anyway.

Magic!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2061 on: <09-27-15/0038:10> »
w
Magic!

Well, yes, but I'm thinking you would need summoned and bound earth spirits for that. I shudder to think of the drain cost, even if done as a multi-participant ritual, for a transmutation spell of that magnitude.  :o

BigJake

• Newb
« Reply #2062 on: <09-27-15/0140:52> »
Detroit already sports some fairly impressive skyscrapers, and as I understand it the old salt mines are like twelve hundred feet underground.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #2063 on: <09-27-15/0213:18> »
Essentially true.  Apparently Michigan's stone goes down in layers almost a mile before it finally gets to non-sedimentary rock; the Detroit River Group in particular is known for its salt formations, which is why a quarter-mile directly beneath Detroit, they're chopping salt out of the ground.  It doesn't mean there's no rock, though - just that it ain't 'solid, heat-treated' igneous or metamorphic rock.  It's otherwise perfectly solid to build on.

This actually makes for some interesting reading for me; in one of my games / pieces of fiction, I placed a superhero school 'somewhere north-west of Detroit', and now I know how - and why - the area can serve as the hub of a 'hidden' transport system to the classified location.  (The aliens had attacked Detroit, but either got driven off or else retreated after acquiring whatever it was they came for; the central part of the wrecked area became dedicated to teaching the teen supers how to fight in built-up areas, which is where the aliens are concentrated.  The shaft to the high-speed rail system to and from the school descended at the edge of the combat area ... though only 194' below-ground, while the salt mines are 1200' down.  Food for my thought.  :)
« Last Edit: <09-30-15/1923:35> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #2064 on: <09-30-15/1847:49> »
An illustrator friend, Benjamin Carré, just created a brand new SR-themed banner for the anniversary of my website, Fondation Draco. The site enters its 12th year :)
The banner features Marzhin the Dwarf and Yaksha the Troll about to learn why you don't make a deal with a dragon...

I've made two wallpapers out of it for those interested: http://fondationdraco.fr/2015/09/30/site-nouvelle-banniere/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

BigJake

• Newb
« Reply #2065 on: <09-30-15/2204:22> »
Nice, thanks!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2066 on: <10-01-15/0058:14> »
Wow, very nice work on that!

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #2067 on: <10-05-15/2348:55> »
Next Pic dump is here.

10-5-15 update
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2068 on: <11-05-15/0752:30> »
Aw.

It doesn't work with Internet Explorer.

(Oh, my lonely world...)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2069 on: <11-05-15/1254:52> »
I cannot imagine the Hell you endure every day.