NEWS

Monofilament Whip

• 112 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #45 on: <10-02-11/2152:32> »
What is worse for business? Letting someone live who knows anything about your current research project, or sanitizing the scene and letting the police piss into the wind while investigating the crime scene?

Sanitizing the scene. Do you know how hard it is to commit to memory anything that's actually useful for R&D? Seriously, it took me months just to remember some of the more basic shit we've got at work and we're not even cutting edge. Anything that's truly worth knowing is going to be a complex chemical formula or a bizarre combination of electronics. Good luck remembering how that cold-fusion system is assembled a month later when you're trying to sell the concept to GE and don't even have any of the plans or research data that support your memory for the seller.

Besides, how many effective thieves and spies are also versed enough in whatever scientific field the facility they're robbing specializes in that they can make sense of what's important and what's not? Corporate espionage relies on getting the actual data sheets out of the company - without getting caught.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #46 on: <10-03-11/0400:01> »
What is worse for business? Letting someone live who knows anything about your current research project, or sanitizing the scene and letting the police piss into the wind while investigating the crime scene?

Time is money, especially in R&D.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <10-03-11/0934:28> »
Call Centres as well.  There was a Sniper in the building where a major call centre was back home (Based out of the office building section of a mall.).

Guess which was the only store/office not to be evacuated, or even alerted to the danger, and would have given him over 1,000 potential hostages?

Oh, but Management got out, that was the important part.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <10-03-11/1430:31> »
I can understand why.  If something happens at our hospital, we don't let anybody leave.  It's put on lockdown.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <10-03-11/1543:20> »
Call Centres as well.  There was a Sniper in the building where a major call centre was back home (Based out of the office building section of a mall.).

Guess which was the only store/office not to be evacuated, or even alerted to the danger, and would have given him over 1,000 potential hostages?

Oh, but Management got out, that was the important part.

They might have been looking for an opportunity to outsource the Call Center to India, and this was an opportunity too good to ignore?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #50 on: <10-03-11/1702:59> »
Indian call centres weren't in vogue yet.

The swearing I got from folks in the US for "Stealing jobs from good, Red-Blooded Americans" when I worked there...   :-\  Still can't go to New York due to the number of death threats I got.

I then did a different tech support job later, they found out I was Canadian, and, "Well...  At least you aren't in India."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <10-03-11/1714:28> »

The swearing I got from folks in the US for "Stealing jobs from good, Red-Blooded Americans" when I worked there...   :-\  Still can't go to New York due to the number of death threats I got.

I then did a different tech support job later, they found out I was Canadian, and, "Well...  At least you aren't in India."

That's pretty bad. I mean, it'd be one thing if the jobs were being stolen, but I'm pretty sure they are being offered. It's not like India (or Canada, or Mexico, or wherever) is holding a gun to the US employer's head and taking the jobs. Of course, the kind of people that want to (blindly) keep jobs in their country are also the ones that complain about prices and quality, often together...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <10-03-11/1733:26> »
Well, at the time the Canadian Dollar was half a US Dollar, so even with the higher wages paid in Canada (Before taxes), it made good fiscal sense.  The rise of the Canadian Dollar, and the fall of the US Dollar are sending even those jobs to India.

Back to topic.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <10-03-11/1743:27> »
Back to topic.

HEAR, HEAR, amen.  Monofilament whips suck as a gm.  I say just the first critical glitch he gets roll friend or self.  If he gets self lop off a limb.
Living the Electronic Dream

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <10-03-11/1755:51> »

ouch, yeah the only problem I have is when I can understand the Indi and they aren't understanding me. Especially when they are logging your case to go to someone to help fix your problem and they aren't understanding the actual problem. It can make the problem take a little longer to fix.

Back on topic, I've never looked at a monofilament whip yet, and neither has my group so i haven't had to deal with it yet! lets hope it stays that way eh?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #55 on: <10-03-11/1759:44> »
Only thing I'd use them for is booby-trapping a backtrail.  And a few other tricks, aside.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <10-03-11/1812:25> »
Monowire is great for booby traps and general compound defenses. I can still remember the reactions I got from players after I read the Corporate Security Handbook and started implementing the stuff from it...

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <10-03-11/2240:50> »
People are complaining about monofilament whips being overpowered? Monofilament whips? There are plenty of more effective ways to fight... the reason to use the whip is because it is cool, not because it is powerful.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #58 on: <10-03-11/2312:16> »
People are complaining about monofilament whips being overpowered? Monofilament whips? There are plenty of more effective ways to fight... the reason to use the whip is because it is cool, not because it is powerful.

???? It lops off limbs and stuff! Unless the GM just goes 'swing, damage, next' it is one of the most hurtful disabling weapons!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #59 on: <10-03-11/2332:36> »
It's the Lightsabre (AKA:  Glowy Stick of Death) of Shadowrun, people.  It's cool.  It's wonderful.  It's expensive.  It's rare.  It's REALLY hard to use.

Have a nice night.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11