NEWS

Cost of living and Shadow running

• 24 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-21-11/1442:37> »
"It'll be easy."

My character Scythe: Easy don't mean it's not dangerous.... and you always say that.... xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <09-21-11/1515:47> »
It's the milk runs that kill you and cost you the most...
The check's in the mail.
I gave at the office.
It's a milk run.
What could possibly go wrong?
"This will be the greatest orphan's Christmas pagent ever!"

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #17 on: <09-21-11/1640:17> »
To Phylos, taking loot is part of the game.

I don't believe I said that. I said (emphasis added):

If your runners are happy with the amount of money that they have, are living High lifestyles, and haven't tried to supplement their income by selling whatever else they can acquire on a run, or some other wacky scheme, then you're paying them too much.

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-22-11/1335:39> »

If your runners are happy with the amount of money that they have, are living High lifestyles, and haven't tried to supplement their income by selling whatever else they can acquire on a run, or some other wacky scheme, then you're paying them too much.

I took that to mean your games regularly featured Runners acquiring stuff on a run or being encouraged to acquire stuff on the run due to the cashflow problems i.e. loot. If that is wrong, then I shall go back and edit out your name to some people.

CanRay - for me, thats up there with the Johnson always betraying people. At my table, most milkruns are milkruns. And yes, sometimes they're not. But that's rare.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #19 on: <09-22-11/1818:33> »

I took that to mean your games regularly featured Runners acquiring stuff on a run or being encouraged to acquire stuff on the run due to the cashflow problems i.e. loot. If that is wrong, then I shall go back and edit out your name to some people.

I've had runners try to acquire loot (which invariable isn't a good idea), to become organleggers (shouldn't waste those dead bodies), sell recently acquired second-hand cyberware (sometimes still warm), play the stock market, get involved in illegal poker games, steal vehicles to sell on the blackmarket, and even run all manner of cons and scams to try to make a few nuyen more - as I said, wacky schemes. Try being the operative word. I don't encourage it or discourage it, but the characters soon learn what happens if you do it ;)

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-23-11/1350:41> »
Ahh right. I agree with that stance, except I discouraged them from trying it on and asked them to act professional, mainly because I had a story to tell and a short time to tell it.

But also boosted fees a little to encourage them to stay professional. Mechanical reinforcement.

But thats just me, and this certainly reinforces my point about different tables requiring different pay scales.

Solomon

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-23-11/1730:20> »
I think the chance to make extra Nuyen on runs needs to be balanced by notoriety and revenge rather than discouraged by GM fiat. Creativity should be rewarded as long as they keep it smart

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-23-11/1850:56> »
Ahh right. I agree with that stance, except I discouraged them from trying it on and asked them to act professional, mainly because I had a story to tell and a short time to tell it.

But also boosted fees a little to encourage them to stay professional. Mechanical reinforcement.

But thats just me, and this certainly reinforces my point about different tables requiring different pay scales.

It's all good to have a story and all but it's the PC's story too huh? And if they want to run with it I'm sure it won't be that bad to let them have a run with a few side jobs. Hell it could lead to some runs in itself. :P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <09-26-11/1903:31> »

It's all good to have a story and all but it's the PC's story too huh? And if they want to run with it I'm sure it won't be that bad to let them have a run with a few side jobs. Hell it could lead to some runs in itself. :P

This is really an entire different discussion, and if we are continue, it should be in a different thread. I am not adverse to doing so but its a complete tangent. However, I shall make a few brief points.

It's everyone's story. I went out of my way to avoid railroading the PCs overly. However, I've found things run smoother with a single voice in the director's seat in my group. There were things I wanted to give them, things I thought they'd really enjoy. These wouldn't happen if they got caught up in side-issues. So I told them I was pushing an agenda beforehand and then ran the game in a way that encouraged them to keep with it. That's the style I thought would be best for this game.

The time limit was a big issue. I had 4 sessions before my other commitments came up. Side runs could not lead to new runs, as there would be no new runs. It is quite possible I'd have acted differently without it.

Ultimately, the success and worth of all GM'ing philsophies and styles is judged at the table and how much fun was had by all. My players enjoyed it, far more than I did ironically, and have demanded a sequel. They gave almost no negative feedback, despite me basically badgering them until I got some. My way is not the one true way; its not even the only way that would have worked in the circs. However, given all the factors (time limit, my group, my experience, my personality), it was a way that would work.

Any further discussion should be in a thread on GM styles.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-26-11/1947:37> »
I end up agreeing with you. ^

:D