NEWS

Shock gloves/hands and punching someone?

• 48 Replies

Shudnawz

• Newb
  • Tweedle Dee != Tweedle Dum
« on: <09-03-11/1645:22> »
We're just about to get ready to start playing (scheduled for next weekend), and today we had a meeting to sort out any questions and balance our characters to each others and the GM's setting. However, we encountered a few issues that we could not find out how to resolve using the RAW. It could be that we have missed something (glitched perception-roll?) or just miss the books that handle the matter.

The first and foremost question was "what happens when you forcefully punch someone with shock hands/gloves?"
We could not find if the 5 or 6S(e) stack with the damage you already do with the act of punching the enemy, or if it replaces it?

Given that I have 9str in my CW-arm, I get 4P plus any net hits when I want to kick ass unarmed. If I should choose to add a shock hand to that arm, I would get 6S(e), and with -1/2AP instead, or also?

The rules specify shock hands as conductive pads that deliver an electric shock at contact...at touch only, that would make sense. But if I throw my weight into the match, some kinetic energy should also be transferred, yes?

We need a settling here. =)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Unless you are in a bit of a hurry.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #1 on: <09-03-11/1658:39> »
You get either the punching damage, or the electric damage, or you get two tests after each other for both kinds of damage.
But you do NOT get more damage for either of the two . . This has come up time and time again, over the years.
Mostly it's GM decision though.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-04-11/0350:11> »
Logically, the damage should stack.  It's one of those cases of "game balance" being put ahead of logic.  The problem is, other things do stack, such as a cyberspur with a cybergland that coats it with atropine.  Maybe your GM will house rule it more like SR3, where they did stack (although the punching part of the damage was lowered due to the shock glove blunting the force of the punch).

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-04-11/0526:19> »
you re definitely not adding together. a toxin coated blade will do both types of damage, but seperately, especially as toxins take effect at the end of the combat turn earliest.

with 9 str your unarmed damage is 5P. And only if you hit with this arm. Unarmed combat includes kicking and headbutting as well. something you want to specify when attacking.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-11/2213:00> »
If a player punches with a shock glove and it is on, it has a good chance of breaking. it isn't made for that. I roll 1d6. on a 1, it breaks. For every attack with it in the same scene, I roll again and add 1 to the number needed for it to break.

However, I say that the damage done is standard damage +2, converted to stun and electrical.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-17-11/2253:31> »
Logically, the damage should stack.
Not really, the chock glove doesn't cover your fist with electricity(like elemental strike does), it has pads in the palm of the hand that you can use the shock someone if you touch them.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Crash_00

« Reply #6 on: <09-17-11/2321:59> »
And that is why you throw palm heel's instead of punches.  ;D

In all seriousness though, I'd allow you to deal both, but inform you that doing so turns your shock gloves into a one time use item. The reason they do damage on touch is because they are meant to touch, not to hit very very hard.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #7 on: <09-18-11/0127:44> »
And that is why you throw palm heel's instead of punches.  ;D

I see your palm heel, and raise you a slap to the face!  ;D

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <09-18-11/0138:49> »
Now that's not a fair way to start a duel.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #9 on: <09-18-11/0141:26> »
Now that's not a fair way to start a duel.

Sorry. Let's just shake hands and forget about it ;)

Shudnawz

• Newb
  • Tweedle Dee != Tweedle Dum
« Reply #10 on: <09-18-11/0534:10> »
RAW says that "shock hands feature shock pads built into the knuckles or palm of the hand", suggesting that they are indeed capable of taking severy punishment since you will hit with your knuckles when punching something or someone hard, whether they are on or off at the moment. That they should be more sensitive to damage when turned on seems unlikely to me.

I can however see that this has some limitation purpose, if you don't want your characters to deal two types of damage every time they slap someone. However, they still only have 10 charges and those will run out quickly when outside any major electric grid. :)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Unless you are in a bit of a hurry.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #11 on: <09-18-11/1409:25> »
The only way i see of getting more damage out of this would be to tinker with it to release all 10 charges with one hit to fry something . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-18-11/1433:31> »
Possible stupid question time...

If the character is wearing shock gloves and shock frills and makes a successful unarmed combat attack, does he get both 6s(e)+net AND 8s(e)+net for DV?

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #13 on: <09-18-11/1505:42> »
No, but I would add +1 DV.

Crash_00

« Reply #14 on: <09-18-11/2032:30> »
RAW says that "shock hands feature shock pads built into the knuckles or palm of the hand", suggesting that they are indeed capable of taking severy punishment since you will hit with your knuckles when punching something or someone hard, whether they are on or off at the moment. That they should be more sensitive to damage when turned on seems unlikely to me.
Obviously the knuckles are charged just for backhanding purposes.  ;D

Honestly, I see shock hand attacks more like jabs than full blown punches. You have to hit hard enough to get a good connect, but that's it. Personally, if the player is wearing shockgloves and throwing punches, I'll damage the gloves eventually if they're on or not. After all, you can make unarmed attacks with things other than your hands. I do the same thing for gecko gloves too. Just because something is supposed to hold up to some abuse doesn't mean it will hold up to being bashed constantly.

If the character is wearing shock gloves and shock frills and makes a successful unarmed combat attack, does he get both 6s(e)+net AND 8s(e)+net for DV?
By RAW you have to choose to attack with either the shock gloves or the shock frills. That said, I'd throw in a +1 or +2 damage if you're doing an attack that would logically include both, such as grappling/subdual.