NEWS

Your thoughts on a run

• 44 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-17-11/2354:54> »
A crying, beaten woman locked in apartment whose door has been NAILED shut, and has a hole in the wall about the size of a person's head (Or a bowling ball.).  There were also other holes in the wall that didn't go all the way through, about the size of a fist or other portions of anatomy (I hadn't mentioned that in my previous post, sorry.).

If you're missing something, I'll point it right out:  Spousal Abuse.  Physical, social, and psychological.

Worst part was that I had her begging them not to hurt him, as he "Didn't hurt her too bad.", "Only did it when she deserved it.", and "Was a good provider."

One finally lead her to a taxi and intimidated the driver to drop her off at a shelter and ensure she got in under pain of "Hear that guy screaming in there?  You'll wish you were him."

I wanted to drive home the point that corporations and dragons weren't the only monsters the group was going to have to face...  And, also, to show that the more things change...
Now, what if they had decided to rough him up for info, without the prior history, and broke into his home to find a couple of kids and wife?
That was planned for another game, but the campaign fell apart.  And would have brought up the question, "Now, are YOU monsters as well?"

Ok, NOW i get it. xD Must be my hair color (heh i'll let you guess that one).

I thought you were saying the woman was an evil powerful something being locked in that room and nailed shut from the inside. <.< I would think that means whatever is in there you DONT want to mess with. But that story works too, and i'm sure my group would want some time to give the guy a "taste of his own medicine".
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <08-18-11/1030:12> »
A slightly relevent note, I recently did a run where they were looking for members of a certain gang. Through a contact, they got the number of a gang members younger brother.

They then broke in there, beat up the gang members girlfriend, pushed the gang member out a window, stabbed the younger brother in the arm, then shot them all after interrogation and torched the house, setting the neighbor hood on fire.

The younger brother was 15...

I need to instil some humanity in my players...
Peace is a lie.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <08-18-11/1037:18> »
If you're missing something, I'll point it right out:  Spousal Abuse.  Physical, social, and psychological.

Worst part was that I had her begging them not to hurt him, as he "Didn't hurt her too bad.", "Only did it when she deserved it.", and "Was a good provider."
Now, what if they had decided to rough him up for info, without the prior history, and broke into his home to find a couple of kids and wife?
That was planned for another game, but the campaign fell apart.  And would have brought up the question, "Now, are YOU monsters as well?"
Ok, NOW i get it. xD Must be my hair color (heh i'll let you guess that one).

I thought you were saying the woman was an evil powerful something being locked in that room and nailed shut from the inside. <.< I would think that means whatever is in there you DONT want to mess with. But that story works too, and i'm sure my group would want some time to give the guy a "taste of his own medicine".
Were this a Pure-Fantasy game, yeah, I'd agree with you.  Those are major signs of "Do Not Let Out!".  But this was in a tenement, not a dungeon.  (You could tell because it wasn't as well built.).

My group complimented me on how well I did it, but were also a little freaked at how I was able to do it at all...  I can't blame them at all for feeling that way, actually.

Maybe they're playing the humanity that is appropriate to the dystopian world they live in?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-18-11/1058:54> »
A slightly relevent note, I recently did a run where they were looking for members of a certain gang. Through a contact, they got the number of a gang members younger brother.

They then broke in there, beat up the gang members girlfriend, pushed the gang member out a window, stabbed the younger brother in the arm, then shot them all after interrogation and torched the house, setting the neighbor hood on fire.

Start by instilling fear of consequences.  Obvious hooks start with asking how many members of the neighborhood are retired shadowrunners, or are primary contacts for other shadowrunners. If it was a "protected" neighborhood (KE, for example) this is splashy enough that PR overrides cost. Bring in the more expensive teams and start a serious trail.

Heck, it might get the whole team "hung out to dry" (negative quality).

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <08-18-11/1208:04> »

Sounds kinda like the opening to the movie The Crow. Almost as if something might come back from the dead to extract vengeance on the runners.

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-18-11/1215:43> »
That.... Is an amazing idea...

Have I mentioned I love the people here?
Peace is a lie.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <08-18-11/1227:58> »
Sounds kinda like the opening to the movie The Crow. Almost as if something might come back from the dead to extract vengeance on the runners.
"The dead should stay buried, boy.  What comes back ain't right.  Even when they do come back right, they ain't right all the way, no way no how." - Me GMing Deadlands

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #22 on: <08-18-11/1509:28> »

Many fun ideas from people before this post.  Take inspiration where you may!

Funny story that's relevant:

Some few years ago, back when I was in my SR prime, the team's Decker sort of had this very strange thing wherein he'd sometimes carelessly leave his cyberdeck lying around (nobody ever understood why).  So, inevitably, this one time, he goes and retrieves it only to find it had gone missing.    The Runners team up with him to track down the thief which eventually leaves them out into the sewers.

Soon enough, they come upon something of an alcove whereupon a bundle of blankets and covers seems asleep what with steady breathing and the form rising and lowering rhythmically.  The Deck's in plain sight, slightly a-ways a good third of it sticking out from beneath the bundle.  Now, you can imagine the Decker was pissed off, so, without much thought other than retribution, he empties his APDS-filled Ingram Smartgun on the sleeping form.  Retrieving the deck, he tosses the blankets... only to see a mucked-up and quite dead sleeping ten year old kid.

This would have been the beginning of a plot-hook with that particular street kid having more street sense than most folk (sort of, but not immediately, inspired by the character "Newt" in the movie Aliens).  As a GM, I learned a valuable lesson: having important gear stolen from careless Runners is possibly not the better way to start up a scenario.  As a player, the Decker learned that not everything in Shadowrun is about shooting first and asking questions later.

But, yes, you mention your group gladly shanking a 15 year-old.  That may demand a bit more attention to hammer into them a sense of realism in that the characters they portray ought to "feel like actual people" and the persons who people the game world should also feel real enough to be convincing.  If you manage this, then maybe they will begin to feel a bit more humane -- or, at least, more sympathetic towards others.

Regardless, teaching them a messy lesson involving an angry ghost or specter (or possibly also involving some fun with their remains returning as Corps Cadavre hounding the PCs -- the ghost of your 15-year-old might've struck a pact with someone (or some thing)).  Make it fun, feel free to harass the characters, take the time to have the lesson taught, build on it (might be something you want to stretch out into subsequent storylines -- not the ghosties or beasties, but maybe they'll attract the attention of someone or some thing that's Karma Incarnated) but remember to have fun, for yourself and your players.

Or!

Have that 15-year-old be friends with my Street Sammy Elf Girl Who Has A Thing About Protecting Street Kids And Who Has Vowed To Avenge The Death Of Her Friend (kidding  :P)!
« Last Edit: <08-18-11/1510:59> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <08-18-11/1651:19> »
Was the 15-year old an ork or troll, 'cause that's full grown for them.  They might not have known the difference.

Of course, said fifteen year old, and his ganger brother, have a major contact:  Said Gang.  They're not going to be pleased.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-18-11/1652:13> »
>.> if I was in either of those groups and playing my first character, I'd have probably shot the person who killed or shanked the kid. (>.> that is if the 15 year old wasn't putting up a real threat. If he had a gun than it might warrent a little roughing up) xD

Holy cow some of your guy's groups have no morals. (in fact my first character having only shot 2 bullets in like 4-5 sessions was quite a feat considering what my group was like. (I had like 3 notoriety because of them and i hadn't done a thing!) Curse my crazy group. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <08-18-11/1658:03> »
One of my Players constantly points out that his character has never fired a shot yet.  Point to everyone:  "Dead.  Twice.", points to himself:  "Still alive."

Of course, that doesn't take into consideration his being arrested, left all his Contacts flapping in the wind when his CommLink was compromised...  And then there's Baron Von Vanderpluffe from the Dark Forest Troll Kingdom...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-18-11/1707:28> »
One of my Players constantly points out that his character has never fired a shot yet.  Point to everyone:  "Dead.  Twice.", points to himself:  "Still alive."

Of course, that doesn't take into consideration his being arrested, left all his Contacts flapping in the wind when his CommLink was compromised...  And then there's Baron Von Vanderpluffe from the Dark Forest Troll Kingdom...

Heh, a similiar fate to my character though it would have happened even if I had shot. (>.<)

Though my contacts weren't comprimised in fact I got a dective promotted for dropping the man a tip to double check my friend's murdered body. The offical cause of death was "Heart attack". <.< That's because a mage tried to make it look that way when she came to get him. Poor Sod. If only I could have found him sooner.

Regardless, i made up a knowledge skill (or thought i did). Human Anatomy(or was it biology?). rolled it with edge just in case. (3 knowledge + 7 edge) got five hits) So informed my dective Karin that he should double check the autheticity of that claim because a "shot to the back of the head, doesn't cause a heart attack."

>.> that's just fishy even without knowledge of anatomy.

Anyways he gets promotted and then I suddenly disappear.... <.< into the dragons nest.... (most of my contacts probably just assume I keeled over and died.... nope. Thirteen years later.... <.< "Hey Karin, how's it going buddy? You still a Lieutenant now?"

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #27 on: <08-26-11/1537:49> »

One of my PCs? Yes. Yes he is. And he knows it - he's trying to get better.

The real question...is he trying to become a better person...or a better monster?

The other one looks like a monster (in an expensive suit) but really, he's quite benign...you know...by our team's standards. (There was the whole "clubbing gang members like baby harp seals" incident, but that was self-defense.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <08-26-11/1615:23> »
>.> if I was in either of those groups and playing my first character, I'd have probably shot the person who killed or shanked the kid. (>.> that is if the 15 year old wasn't putting up a real threat. If he had a gun than it might warrent a little roughing up) xD

Holy cow some of your guy's groups have no morals. (in fact my first character having only shot 2 bullets in like 4-5 sessions was quite a feat considering what my group was like. (I had like 3 notoriety because of them and i hadn't done a thing!) Curse my crazy group. xD

Now, maybe I'm overly cold, but if I was in a violent situation with a person with gang affiliations/gang membership who'd hit puberty in a bad area, I wouldn't wait to see if I had a weapon, as he probably does and the first I'd probably know about it is its being used to injure someone I care about. Admittedly, my personal reaction would be to bug out, but if I were a Shadowrunner then the kid would be going down. Preferably non-lethally admittedly.

What gets me is I'm not sure there was any need for a fight at all from what Bane said, or setting the whole neighbour hood on fire...

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-26-11/1635:00> »

Now, maybe I'm overly cold, but if I was in a violent situation with a person with gang affiliations/gang membership who'd hit puberty in a bad area, I wouldn't wait to see if I had a weapon, as he probably does and the first I'd probably know about it is its being used to injure someone I care about. Admittedly, my personal reaction would be to bug out, but if I were a Shadowrunner then the kid would be going down. Preferably non-lethally admittedly.

What gets me is I'm not sure there was any need for a fight at all from what Bane said, or setting the whole neighbour hood on fire...

lol did they set the whole neighbourhood on fire? I must have missed that part. XD