NEWS

Tempo - MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!! If U don`t know Ghost Cartels yet, don`t read!!!

• 10 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« on: <08-17-11/0834:00> »
My question is simple. Since "special ingredience" of Tempo, Yajé, inhabbited only some trees in Amazonian jungle, I`d like to know, if Yajé`s presence was necessary for the every effect of the drug, of if Yajé was responsible only for that Dream pact part of addiction, and the drug itself works even if produced from a same tree/plant growned somewhere else without presence of Yajé.
« Last Edit: <08-18-11/0317:30> by Sichr »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-17-11/1331:58> »
SPOILER (though hey, Sichr started spoiling first with his question !)

Yajé was not the only spirit involved in tempo production by the Primeira Vaga and the Olaya Cartel, as plural is used. However, it is not clear if Yajé will be the only spirit working with the David Cartel.
Ghost Cartels, page 133
A few people and agencies have tried to get their hands on samples of the gameleira torcida, the twisted strangler fig tree hybrid. Some have even succeeded. In all such instances, however, they have been unable to produce tempo from the bark. The reason is a close-kept secret, one of which not even all the leaders of the Olaya Cartel are aware. Only a select few, such as Graciela Riveros, know the secret.
The truth is the twisted trees themselves have little innate potency; it is only when they have been possessed by a shadow free spirit that the magical properties form within the bark. The possessing spirits apply their powers of regeneration to the trees, which allows the bark to be harvested continuously without killing the host. In addition, the process imbues the bark with the properties that give tempo its ability to open users’ senses to the astral plane—and something more.
Tempo is highly addictive. Like all drugs, it has side effects. Medical personnel, drug lords, scientists, and drug enforcement agencies around the world have been cataloguing these side effects, but they’ve all missed the most startling eff ect. Long-term tempo use can create a dream pact between the spirits that produce the drug and the unwitting drug addict, allowing the spirit to possess the addict anytime they are asleep, unconscious, or at the peak of a drug high. The drug abusers enter this pact unknowingly. It is enabled by the gradual accumulation of tempo residue in the users’ system. Some of the reported long term effects, such as personality changes, trance-like states, and memory and time loss, are actually the result of the spirits possessing the user.
Either way, as reads above "the process imbues the bark with the properties that give tempo its ability to open users’ senses to the astral plane—and something more." I'd take the verb "imbuing" as meaning the properties are permanent.
« Last Edit: <08-20-11/0434:08> by Nath »

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-18-11/0225:20> »
MAJOR SPOILER warning for Nath's post. That's like the single most spoilable part of the entire Ghost Cartels plot.

But yeah, I suspect that tempo without the special properties would end up just being equivalent to Novacoke.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-18-11/0320:44> »
... The possessing spirits apply their powers of regeneration to the trees, which allows the bark to be harvested continuously without killing the host...

I missed that plural before, So Yajé was only one of Shadows involved...so continuous production of Tempo is possible with another shadow spirit with similar abilities. That is the point I needed.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-18-11/0641:04> »
Does that mean that there will be two versions of Tempo in production - one by the David cartel (the Azzies, basically) and Yaje, and the other by the original producers, Primeira Vaga?  Another motivation for the Am-Az war?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-18-11/0728:08> »
And other question...does that mean that other Shadow spirits do not developed the ability to create Dream pact, just Yajé, or does other Shadow spirits in Primeira Vaga have the same ability. From what I read in GC, I had an feeling, that the Primeira Vaga was group of toxic avengers, but Shadow spirit like Yajé is somewhat different from toxic spirits...
Or has Primeira Vaga gained dream pacts as a whole, creating large pool of victims, and Yajé was renegade in the meaning that it doesnt share its victims for the purposes of the whole group???

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-20-11/0240:30> »
Come to think of it, Yaje could teach the Possessing technique to Azzie blood spirits, leading to a new variety of Blood Tempo . . .

Let the nightmares begin  :o

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #7 on: <08-20-11/0245:53> »
Oh Ghost... We do NOT need Blood Tempo on the streets... Hell, a free blood spirit is bad enough, but one helping to make Tempo? It would no longer be "trance-like state", and would be "berzerker fury hellbent on the destruction of the world"....
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-20-11/0317:17> »
And yet the David cartel (Aztechnology) sees $$$$

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-20-11/0456:09> »
And other question...does that mean that other Shadow spirits do not developed the ability to create Dream pact, just Yajé, or does other Shadow spirits in Primeira Vaga have the same ability. From what I read in GC, I had an feeling, that the Primeira Vaga was group of toxic avengers, but Shadow spirit like Yajé is somewhat different from toxic spirits...
Or has Primeira Vaga gained dream pacts as a whole, creating large pool of victims, and Yajé was renegade in the meaning that it doesnt share its victims for the purposes of the whole group???
SPOILER -continued-
Ghost Cartels, page 133
In fact, Riveros has entered into a separate dream pact with the free spirit Yajé
Ghost Cartels, page 134
In this case, the spirits are powerful Free spirits, with a number of powers and abilities including Regeneration and Immunity to Natural Weapons (see Yajé, p. 154, for a typical example).
To me, the expression "separate dream pact" means a regular dream pact, not linked to tempo (maybe a sa  wy to ensure no other of the Primeira Vaga spirits take control of her). Yajé has the Spirit Pact power, but the textbox only mention Regeneration and ITNW as power every spirit will have. My interpretation is that the possessing spirits don't need the Spirit Pact power in the first place, the Dream Pact is a property of the possessed tree. Just my interpretation though.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-20-11/0546:03> »
Riveros KNOWINGLY entered into that spirit pact, and did not indulge in Tempo.  Tempo users UNKNOWINGLY ended up with a dream pact once the Tempo residue in their system(s) reached a certain - critical? - level.

I'm going off memory, so if the canon definition/ruling says otherwise, go with that.