NEWS

Resonance Trodes useless for anything but immobilizing and hurting opponents?

• 6 Replies

Delusionist

• Newb
« on: <08-10-11/0302:26> »
We all know that a Technomancer with Resonance Trodes can grab a person, shove him into hot-sim, and whack him with IC or carry him off. Old news.

The thing is, I don't think there is any other functional way to use the Echo, even if you wanted to. The character who is connected via Resonance Trodes has no access to programs or anything else. He's basically a sitting duck unable to take any matrix actions at all unless he's also a Technomancer.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-11/0629:46> »
Right. If you wanted to get willing people to hotsim, you could just carry around a hotsim-enabled sim module and give it to them.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-11/0820:45> »
Instant non-interceptable communication with anyone under almost any circumstances. Since it's via skinlink, it's also close to unjammable.

Depending on GM, the link could enhance tutoring/training.

Neither of these is high-priority, of course, and given most TMs are far from being skilled at unarmed, this echo is low on my list of preferences. But it's still a bit more than a one trick pony.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-11/0829:43> »
Suddenly going hotsim with a strong enough reality filter could be well used for intimidation and... well other types of intimidation.

You could use it to keep a tango from knowing where you're taking them/moving them.  All sorts of illusion-esque trickery I can think up for Resonance Trodes.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-10-11/0859:46> »
Suddenly going hotsim with a strong enough reality filter could be well used for intimidation and... well other types of intimidation.

You could use it to keep a tango from knowing where you're taking them/moving them.  All sorts of illusion-esque trickery I can think up for Resonance Trodes.

Really, the only use I've found for Resonance Trodes has been the subtle waylaying into hot VR.  Anything else is better accomplished with a trode net, a sim module, and a mediocre commlink that the user isn't an Admin for.

Also, having a touch that's addictive is kind of cool.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-11/0932:37> »
Except using the technological method requires you to lug around the tools. This is not always possible, given various circumstances (you're a prisoner, security around the target is high, you're mid-sexytimes with the target, etc.). It's also important to remember that this echo does not, as far as I am aware, act as an ASSIST nerve cut-out (meaning that the target doesn't suddenly go limp from being in VR). So it can be used in such clandestine circumstances as dancing (to pass messages). Heck, if you've got a high enough rating reality filter CF going and an edit CF to keep things up to date with reality the target might not even know they've been taken to VR.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-11/1126:01> »
One major idea is to get someone to eat psychotropic code or BTL & Co. A technomancer with this echo could "brain-wash" her target and with the right code she can make an instant friend or bodyguard, i.e. or calm a person down (per amps).
Yes of course anyone with a hot-sim module can do the same, but the echo can't be detected from security. And the target usually doesn't know or expect what is coming for him, so no active defense, at least at first. ;)

Btw: In the SR-Novel: Technobable is a scene that come close to that. Yes it is a novel and yes back in the days otaku hadn't have this echo, but maybe it gives you an idea what and how you can deal with that game feature.

Register