NEWS

Shapechange

• 6 Replies

tzajarroch

• Newb
« on: <08-06-11/0612:31> »
Hi all, first post on those forums!

So, i know there's already a bunch of posts about that spell, but after reading through a couple of them, i still have some questions / remarks :

- each success gives +1 to all physical attributes of the new form
- the new form doesn't have speach, even if it normally gets it at a limited level (parrot) or good level (metahuman)
- whether or not this spell can be used to change to a metahuman form is basically a GM decision (putting aside all the debate on what is a critter, etc.)
- i can decide to look like someone else using this spell : that seems to mean that i have a limited control of the features of the new form. Can i give it an unnaturral color for instance? (a red lion, a blue elephant, whatever).
- my current body is 5 (troll mage) : if i improve attribute (body) (6), can i then change into a bear (8 body?)
- is there somewhere a list of normal critters (i looked through a few books, but didn't really find anything that would let me and my body of 5 change into much else than a great cat (no dog (body 2), no bear (body 8), no bird, etc.)

and... hmm a bunch of other questions for later, now i have to go.

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-06-11/0801:27> »
-yes
-yes. metahuman is not a form. according to the FAQ only human is, they should be able to talk.
-the FAQ says humans only
-the best solution (after several discussions) is, that you can NOT decide anything. Just say "lion" or "human". So this will not replace Physical Mask
-yes
-the book is called Running Wild and has tons of animals

tzajarroch

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-11/0615:22> »
thanks! so :
- ok
- missed that on the FAQ, but after double check, got it. on other threads the discussion went to a "no speach related action" except for spellcasting. Was there a clarification somewhere, or do you take it on the sensible side, with "if you don't have a throat / mouth / all that stuff made for speach, you can't speak. So if you're a human, you can speak." ?
- seems fair enough, and good by me (I was beginning to wonder if i did a good job of choosing both Shapechange and physical mask).
- so i'd have to sustain the improve body spell while casting the shapechange. Would it then :
   * "transfer" to my new form (giving me a bear with even more body),
   * need to be sustained in any case, cause it's a condition for the shapechange spell,
   * be dropped, cause i would need to cast it once more if i wanted it to apply to the bear form, and it was a requirement for the casting of the shapechange, not its sustaining?
- thanks, i'll have a look at it!

also, new questions! 
- derived from the "improve attribute (body)" part : does it say anywhere that i can't cast a negative spell on me? (like, as you guessed "decrease attribute (body)" in here to get to change to low body animals.
- does it say anywhere or do sensible person consider that no matter your body level, you can't change to creatures with body ratings of 0? (like rat, cockroach, etc.)
- it explicitly says that equipement is not transformed by that spell : does that mean that clothing and equipment gets sent into some sort of astral pocket or whatever to follow the caster, and get back on him after the spell is cancelled? Or does that mean that i have to get nacked everytime i cast that spell if i don't want my clothes to be ripped open by the bear i'm transforming into, and then find a way to get my clothes to follow me (a giant bear backpack i'd carry with me at all time?)?
   * if it's the first option, what happens if i change into a human? i get a naked human i assume?
   * if it's the second option, how does cyberware, bioware and all those sort of things fare?

(I'm pretty sure i'm being a pain right now, but... i need to know :D )

Captain Karzak

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-11/1514:54> »
Shapechange and Physical Mask are both useful spells to have. Physical mask can fool all kinds of sensors that might detect illicit equipment you or your teammates are carrying, allowing them to walk around armed and to fool cyberware scanners that might otherwise detect their illegal mods. Shapechange is not really designed for the fine of control necessary to mimic the appearance of another individual, so that is another use in which these spells do not overlap.

A Shapechange made possible by an improved body spell would probably be undone once the attribute boost was dropped, as your character no longer meets the legal criteria to achieve that form. Ditto with Decrease Attribute. That's just my opinion.

So long as one of those Decrease/Increase attribute spells were sustained, they would modify your shapechange stats, as your regular physical stats have been replaced. I'd rule that these spells would fail if shapehange enhanced an attribute beyond the force of the Decrease/Increase Attribute spell (to affect an attribute, these spells have to be cast a a force that is equal to or greater than the augmented value of the attribute being affected.)

Turning into a creature with a body of zero is legal so long as you normally have a body attribute of 2 or less.

Clothing and equipment gets dropped or may be destroyed (esp worn clothing) during the shapechange transformation. There is no provision in the spell to safely absorb (or instantly remove) your equipment a la 3.5 D&D wildshape. I suppose if you were to shapechange into something of very similarly proportioned to your regular form, most of these unhappy consequences would be avoided. A metahuman  shapeshifting into a human form would probably not destroy their gear. A metahuman shapeshifting into a bear would be advised to undress before attempting the spell.

I'd allow a bear backpack, for what it's worth. Try to have the straps of your bags and packs made out of high-tech elasticated material so they can conform to your new shape. In particular, be very careful with your foci - make sure they are items that can survive the trauma this spell might inflict, and are still usable in whatever form you take. A foci in the form of a wand, for instance, will be awkward for your bear to use, unless you want to walk around holding a stick in your mouth.

« Last Edit: <08-07-11/1519:18> by Captain Karzak »

tzajarroch

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-08-11/0414:27> »
Thanks! last question : skills remain mine, and i don't get any benefit from the new form skills, i assume (athletics, unarmed combat, etc.)?

Captain Karzak

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <08-08-11/1123:57> »
No change to skills, only your physical attributes get replaced.

If your new form would grant some kind of claws or bite attack you probably should probably gain access to that. Specifically you would get the damage value for the attack, but whether or not you'd actually know how to use the natural weapon depends on how well you've trained your unarmed combat skill.

Knowing how to box would totally cover the use a bite attack, right? Come to think of it, I do remember an infamous incident with Mike Tyson...

Oh, and depending on your form you character's speed may change.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #6 on: <08-08-11/2050:30> »
Shapechange has been discussed in other threads before, just for reference:

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=2839.0
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3069.0
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law