NEWS

Encounters with dragons

• 21 Replies

StarManta

• Omae
« on: <07-31-11/2129:45> »
I've yet to encounter a dragon in any way in Shadowrun, so I'm curious: for those player brave/stupid enough (or those GMs mean enough) to come into contact with a dragon, what have your experiences been? As a moderately new GM, should I even attempt it?
(I'm not worried that the player group I'm considering this encounter for will take it badly; they're extremely combat-heavy and their characters are a little psychotic. They'd relish the chance, everyone's aware of how mortal characters in Shadowrun can be, and they'd proudly tell the story of how they managed to wound a dragon before it killed them.)

A few things I know I'll need to work on first:
1) Dragons know "most spells", so I should probably learn most of the spells as well, to know what's available to use against the team. Also, becoming more practiced in using magic in general.
2) Engineering an encounter. The team's already slaughtered two small street gangs (after only 3 gaming sessions!), so I don't think it'll be an issue to put them into a position to kill someone the dragon rather liked, pissing it off.
3) Simulate combats between the characters and the dragon, to know what its weaknesses will be before discovering them in combat (the dragon certainly would know and avoid its own weaknesses)

I plan on this encounter being the climax to a multi-run storyline which runs parallel to the Ghost Cartels campaign they're running through right now.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #1 on: <07-31-11/2208:08> »
As straight out critters, 'standard' dragons are easy to beat by a well armed party of Shadowrunners. They just don't have enough armour to soak big weapons (even though it's hardened armour, it's just not enough).

The most effective way I've found to get dragons to challenge the group are to use magical powers to Buff the critter up, rather than rely on them as just another Spellflinger.

The ways to make dragons really scary are to just layer on magical protections and Initiate powers that can all have been cast well in advance (so a dragon never has it's defenses 'down':
- Metamagic: Shielding
- Metamagic: Centering (Gesture)
- Metamagic: Absorption
- Metamagic: Quickening
- Metamagic: Anchoring
- Quickened Improved Reflexes spell (4-5 Initiative Passes :) )
- Anchored Physical Barrier spells (with variable triggers that can range from an automatic trigger to a deliberate Keyword)... Shield's up!
- Anchored/Quickened Armour spells
- Magical Focus: Counterspelling

So, between massive attributes (Body and Willpower) plus Counterspelling, Shielding and Counterspelling focus, they'll be VERY difficult to attack magically.

With the layered physical barrier and physical armour spells, they can withstand some pretty big hits (but NOT indefinately!)

Also, dragons have great summoning abilities (which can be attended to ahead of time) and can summon pretty much ANY type of spirit, but NEVER blood spirits...), so there's never any reason for a dragon to be caught on it's own. And if you want to be REALLY nasty, you can give a dragon:
- Metamagic: Invoking
- Metamagic: Channelling
at which point the dragon becomes an Uber-dragon with attributes you wounldn't believe via a Great Form spirit merging with the critter.

This also greatly increases the Hardened Armour (by replacing it with 2x Spirit Magic, instead of the 8/8 a dragon normally has). You need APDS ammo and some very accurate hits to break through

And for general hints:
- Use EDGE!  Dragons have it, and they're good at it. Do not forget to use it....
- Kill one thing quickly: Dragons are hunters, and intelligent. They will make the best decision and follow it through...especially focusing on any Mages/Heavy weapons...whatever is the biggest threat to them should expect to get all their attention focues, and be torn to shreads accordingly.
- Change their breath weapon: Everybody expects dragons to breathe fire, and willd efend accordingly. Options exist to give them a different elemental effect (my favourite is Blast from Street Magic, but the cheesiest option is Sound (which ignores all armour)
- Dragons can have regeneration, which means they're more likely blitzkrieg attack,take a few hits, leave for a minute or two, then return fully healed to attack from a different angle. Dragons are clever and cunning, and may enjoy playing with their food
- Don't continue a losing situation/strategy: If the troll with a polearm weapon focus is actually doing damage, retreat to an aerial position so they can't d that anymore...
- Be SCARY! If the dragon manages to geek the mage, spend an action biting down on the body and tossing it contemptuously through a wall while roaring vicotriously. If dragon is a little wounded, pick up an injured/dead runner and carry it away as a snack
- Dragon fights should be memorable. They should be prime runners and then some. Unfortunately, if meeting a dragon in a combat situation, the easiest way to be memorable is to have your ass handed to you, or at the very BEST, a Pyhrric victory where most of your team were slaughtered in the process....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <07-31-11/2212:31> »
All dragons typically fight near their own personal ketchup factory...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-31-11/2216:42> »
All dragons typically fight near their own personal ketchup factory...
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <07-31-11/2230:24> »
Exactly.  So you know each one owns their own factory.

Lofwyr probably owns one in every city that he probably will have to visit.  A warehouse in the secondary locations.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-31-11/2244:40> »
Exactly.  So you know each one owns their own factory.
Pretty sure some of them prefer mustard or barbecue sauce...

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <07-31-11/2258:29> »
Do the ones from Central and South America prefer Hot Sauce?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-31-11/2318:00> »
Japanese prefer Wasabi.... which of course also melts most of the meal like acid before they eat it...

Phreak Commandment V:

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <07-31-11/2331:57> »
Japanese prefer Wasabi.... which of course also melts most of the meal like acid before they eat it...
Mmmm... Street Sammy Slurpees!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <07-31-11/2351:57> »
Don't get me started, FastJack.

I live in the most insane city possible.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #10 on: <07-31-11/2352:46> »
Don't get me started, FastJack.

I live in the most insane city possible.
Juarez?
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <08-01-11/0006:59> »
Winnipeg.

One of the harshest winters by CANADIAN standards, and what do the locals do in the middle of it?

Buy ice drinks!!!   To the point that more are bought per capita than anywhere else in the world!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-01-11/0115:04> »
Ordinarily I'd be annoyed at a serious inquiry so quickly turning into a joke thread, but Charybdis pretty much got everything covered in the first reply. So... continue :D

The Cat

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-01-11/0156:47> »
The first thing I do in ANY RPG system that uses dragons, is make sure I have a copy of Dragonslayer on hand.

Vermathrax is a great example of a dragon's combat capabilities.  I make sure everyone has seen the film.  I then remind them that the dragon they're contemplating fighting is different from Vermathrax in that Vermathrax is a beast and not very intelligent (human intelligence at best; brute animal intelligence in most cases).  I also remind them that the dragon they're contemplating going up against is different from Vermathrax in a second way, it can use spells.

Usually, they then begin to avoid or try to pacify the the dragon, or any dragon, or anything like a dragon, or anything that could be a dragon, or anything with a name sounding like "dragon," or large lizards, and in extreme cases, anything that is even possibly dragon-like larger than a gecko.

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #14 on: <08-01-11/0211:02> »
As straight out critters, 'standard' dragons are easy to beat by a well armed party of Shadowrunners. They just don't have enough armour to soak big weapons (even though it's hardened armour, it's just not enough).

The most effective way I've found to get dragons to challenge the group are to use magical powers to Buff the critter up, rather than rely on them as just another Spellflinger.

The ways to make dragons really scary are to just layer on magical protections and Initiate powers that can all have been cast well in advance (so a dragon never has it's defenses 'down':
- Metamagic: Shielding
- Metamagic: Centering (Gesture)
- Metamagic: Absorption
- Metamagic: Quickening
- Metamagic: Anchoring
- Quickened Improved Reflexes spell (4-5 Initiative Passes :) )
- Anchored Physical Barrier spells (with variable triggers that can range from an automatic trigger to a deliberate Keyword)... Shield's up!
- Anchored/Quickened Armour spells
- Magical Focus: Counterspelling

So, between massive attributes (Body and Willpower) plus Counterspelling, Shielding and Counterspelling focus, they'll be VERY difficult to attack magically.

With the layered physical barrier and physical armour spells, they can withstand some pretty big hits (but NOT indefinately!)

Also, dragons have great summoning abilities (which can be attended to ahead of time) and can summon pretty much ANY type of spirit, but NEVER blood spirits...), so there's never any reason for a dragon to be caught on it's own. And if you want to be REALLY nasty, you can give a dragon:
- Metamagic: Invoking
- Metamagic: Channelling
at which point the dragon becomes an Uber-dragon with attributes you wounldn't believe via a Great Form spirit merging with the critter.

This also greatly increases the Hardened Armour (by replacing it with 2x Spirit Magic, instead of the 8/8 a dragon normally has). You need APDS ammo and some very accurate hits to break through

And for general hints:
- Use EDGE!  Dragons have it, and they're good at it. Do not forget to use it....
- Kill one thing quickly: Dragons are hunters, and intelligent. They will make the best decision and follow it through...especially focusing on any Mages/Heavy weapons...whatever is the biggest threat to them should expect to get all their attention focues, and be torn to shreads accordingly.
- Change their breath weapon: Everybody expects dragons to breathe fire, and willd efend accordingly. Options exist to give them a different elemental effect (my favourite is Blast from Street Magic, but the cheesiest option is Sound (which ignores all armour)
- Dragons can have regeneration, which means they're more likely blitzkrieg attack,take a few hits, leave for a minute or two, then return fully healed to attack from a different angle. Dragons are clever and cunning, and may enjoy playing with their food
- Don't continue a losing situation/strategy: If the troll with a polearm weapon focus is actually doing damage, retreat to an aerial position so they can't d that anymore...
- Be SCARY! If the dragon manages to geek the mage, spend an action biting down on the body and tossing it contemptuously through a wall while roaring vicotriously. If dragon is a little wounded, pick up an injured/dead runner and carry it away as a snack
- Dragon fights should be memorable. They should be prime runners and then some. Unfortunately, if meeting a dragon in a combat situation, the easiest way to be memorable is to have your ass handed to you, or at the very BEST, a Pyhrric victory where most of your team were slaughtered in the process....

The encounters with Dragons thing I would stress is that except in the most rarest conceivable senarios the players will be showing up to a catered suprise party they are the guest of honors of.  The most dangerous element of dealing with the Dragon is the large grey mass situated betwixt its ears.  Its experience, intelligence, insight, and pride at being the most dangerous sentient thing in exsistence make it deadly not only in a combat sense but as a being whose manipulations could have had you working for its ends for years and you never knew it.  Dragons sit, scheme, and grow their power daily doing it.  If your Runners are so good they can find a Dragons doorbell the dragon has files on them and maybe a birddog on them.  If a Runner is walking and talking in a room with a Dragon it is because it was on the Dragons schedule, at least in pencil, for weeks.  When that Runner team is in a Dragons presence it knows their methodology, ability, weapons, and may have a good guess of what they would do to adjust to take on his scaly hide.  If it came to a fight it wouldn't fight fair and would be prepared.  How would depend on the Dragon but it would be a reflection of how serious it takes survival and how smart it is. 

In short the first post mentioned how a seasoned, armed like Armagedon, and intensely ambitious Shadowrunner crew that had exceedingly good intel on the inner workings and capacities of a Dragon would and could fair with a Dragon and what the Dragons general tactics would be against that onslaught.  The Dragons advocate would stress that the Dragon is not asleep upon its pile in a cave awaiting the first move by these would be lizard eliminators.  He will be in control of his environment, himself, and will have the best handle on controling his opponets imaginable.   He would control if a fight could ever take place before it ever had a chance to happen.

Lastly:  Try to include the sense of its too good to be true with every dealing to begin with and the horrible buyers remorse at the end.  Most stress as the feeling of dealing with a Dragon.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu