NEWS

GM-Nissan Doberman ?s

• 27 Replies

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« on: <07-24-11/1529:34> »
So the book describes the GM-Nissan Doberman as being a medium sized drone. So im guesing that is would be the same size as a big dog, like Huskey size? How big can they get? My questions pertain to wanting to convert one for use as a mount for my dwarf rigger. If I give up the gun mount it should have room to carry 1 dwarf, right?

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #1 on: <07-24-11/1534:32> »
Save yourself a lot of headaches and get a monocycle with a smart tire instead.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <07-24-11/1633:09> »
Just as long as you don't expect to be able to slip it into a dufflebag and carry it around slung over you shoulder, just because you got the easy breakdown vehicle mod.

:)

-k

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-24-11/1640:47> »
So the book describes the GM-Nissan Doberman as being a medium sized drone. So im guesing that is would be the same size as a big dog, like Huskey size? How big can they get? My questions pertain to wanting to convert one for use as a mount for my dwarf rigger. If I give up the gun mount it should have room to carry 1 dwarf, right?

Most players and GMs constantly argue about this.
It ALWAYS degrades to "No because I say so." because Drones aren't "designed" for passengers. Even though they're big and strong enough.

(I wanted to put a rigger cocoon on a steel lynx)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-24-11/1704:02> »
You could make a D&D Drider
just take a Night One without Legs and put him into a Wolfspider Drone
(then You paint it Black)

with a crossover Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #5 on: <07-24-11/1939:48> »
My inclination would be to say no.

A Steel Lynx might be a different story, although you'd need the "Special Equipment" mod at minimum, and even then it also probably wouldn't provide any armor or protection for the 'rider'.
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Mach

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-24-11/2059:33> »
I'd want to disagree neurosis. if that drone with the special equipment were to be considered cyberware, there would be definite bonuses due to having at least two limbs replaced.  I'd say that would be a +2 to armor, since both legs are replaced. plus there are the mods that then become possible with that sort of rig (essence considerations not taken into account).

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-24-11/2102:22> »
I'd want to disagree neurosis. if that drone with the special equipment were to be considered cyberware, there would be definite bonuses due to having at least two limbs replaced.  I'd say that would be a +2 to armor, since both legs are replaced. plus there are the mods that then become possible with that sort of rig (essence considerations not taken into account).

I don't think he was referring to medicineman's Drider

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #8 on: <07-24-11/2142:44> »
If the dwarf in question needs to GTFO he should be able to jump on top of his RobotDog for at least a short period of time.

What if he builds a "sled" attached to multiple RoboDogs? Now that's riding in style!

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #9 on: <07-24-11/2200:00> »
I always refer to Vehicle body ratings for size.

A Doberman drone has a body of 3.
A Dodge Scoot (think a Vespa Scooter) has a body of 4.

If you want to ride a drone, having the equivalenet size/body of a Scooter sounds pretty reasonable, so IMHO a Doberman is just too small.

Upsize to any of the Body 4 drones, and I think you're all good.

Note: The smallest vehicle that can carry a humanoid is the Ares-Segway Terrier (Body of 2, and is indeed a Segway 2-wheeler). This would lend weight to the argument of having as smaller drone do the work, buts seeing as the Segway looks like it will break apart from a strong sneeze, I don't recommend it for shadowrunning...)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <07-24-11/2206:49> »
I probably would allow you to mount a seat on the thing to ride on, but it would be more like riding a lawn mower than anything else, and I probably wouldn't give you any armor for it. The better solution would be to just design (or have your GM design) a sing person vehicle of the same size rather than trying to base it off of the Doberman (which from the old pictures doesn't actually look like a dog if that was a factor).

(On a slightly off topic note, when did Ares acquire Chrysler-Nissan? I just noticed this and it made me curious. I know they had GM (and with it Buicks, Cadillacs, ect. All the companies dumb enough to put the VIN barcode in the window.) back in 2059/2060 but I hadn't read where the get Nissan.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #11 on: <07-24-11/2208:32> »
I probably would allow you to mount a seat on the thing to ride on, but it would be more like riding a lawn mower than anything else, and I probably wouldn't give you any armor for it. The better solution would be to just design (or have your GM design) a sing person vehicle of the same size rather than trying to base it off of the Doberman (which from the old pictures doesn't actually look like a dog if that was a factor).
Single person vehicle? Sounds like the Horseman (Body 4) :)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #12 on: <07-24-11/2210:35> »
Single person vehicle? Sounds like the Horseman (Body 4) :)
Single human vehicle that was never designed to be a passenger vehicle.  Sounds more like a floor waxer with a seat strapped onto the hood.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <07-24-11/2216:35> »
Here's a good question:  Does the suspension on the drones have the ability to handle having the weight of a rider on them?

It's no good if the drone is trying to drive while it's undercarriage is dragging on the ground after all.  Kinda like a fat troll in a subcompact three-wheeler.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #14 on: <07-24-11/2223:14> »
Haven't looked it over in 4th yet, but in 3rd there were several drones that could handle two or three people that were designed to be somewhere between large dog and motorcycle sized.