NEWS

Human Smuggler/Gear head

• 19 Replies

Kylen

• Omae
« on: <07-17-11/1647:16> »
Hey everyone. I was wondering if I could get a quick point count on this character. I THINK he was made on 450 (A friend's game that never got off the start line) and I need to figure out how much is actually spent here so I can look into trimming some edges to make him 400 point friendly.

Luckily, I have him online, so here's a link, and I'll be trying to point count myself, but if someone gets it faster then me, the better.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

LostProxy

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <07-17-11/2105:37> »
Would you prefer the smuggler to be a rigger/face, a driver/face, thief/driver, or a thief/rigger?

I make the distinction between driver and rigger because a rigger usually controls more drones while a driver is mainly a wheel man who would focus on one very good car over a handful of drones.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-17-11/2112:23> »
Well, I was definately leaning Driver/Face, cause that's what he did in the SINGLE game that he got played in, and I'm alright with that. It's more to the fact that I literally can't remember what his point total is, and feel like I could trim some fat off of his sheet, but don't know where to start at the moment (and 50 points is a JUNK ton in this game.)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #3 on: <07-17-11/2112:39> »
Drop dodge or gymnastics, clubs can be lowered safely.  Drop ambidextrous.

You're clearly a wheelman, specialize in your car.

Recalc your points total and post it here.  I'll go after skills and attributes then.

Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-17-11/2117:41> »
Drop dodge

AHHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaaa *breaths* I'm sorry, I've played Shadowrun enough times to fully value the use of a decent Dodge skill, though I MIGHT give thought to dropping it by a point

or gymnastics, clubs can be lowered safely.  Drop ambidextrous.

You're clearly a wheelman, specialize in your car.

Recalc your points total and post it here.  I'll go after skills and attributes then.

I might not drop Ambi, but the other two I'll definitely look into. Lemme just find a book...or a pdf, or something. I don't actually have one on hand, but I'll see if I can't find a SRD or something.

And I wasn't going for a Driver vibe. I was going for a suave smuggler vibe, but eh, I guess it is a good be wheelheavy.

Thanks for the advice, either way. ^_^

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-17-11/2119:19> »
you don't need both gymnastics and dodge, you can make a gymnastic dodge.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-17-11/2124:11> »
Oh, I already plan on dropping Gymnastics, now that I think about it.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-17-11/2126:33> »
Next, it isn't really all that advantageous to have both clubs and unarmed combat.  Take one or the other and be prepared to do lethal and stun damage with the one you choose.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"

LostProxy

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-17-11/2130:32> »
you don't need both gymnastics and dodge, you can make a gymnastic dodge.

You can't use gymnastics dodge in a vehicle. If his car is getting shot at all he can dodge with is his reaction and that will most likely get him to crash at some point.

If you want to be a smuggler without being a driver then you would need a way to get your goods around some other way. You would need quite a few contacts to do this. So it makes you less of a smuggler and more of a pure face.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-17-11/2133:29> »
Onion Man: I personally like it, cause it's character flavor for me, and I like him being decent at what he's good at. Otherwise it's almost worthless for me to have Kali at all.

LostProxy: I HAVE a vehicle if you scroll all the way down. And I have A Contact that he does regular smuggling for (If you read the upgrades for the vehicle, you'll see that I did everything in my power to not need the grid at all.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

LostProxy

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-17-11/2138:23> »
But you just said in a post above you weren't going for a driver vibe. Do you or don't you? That will determine how we treat this build.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-17-11/2142:30> »
I don't want to be JUST a wheelman or a face, is what I ment. Besides, I'm not looking to do a full on rewriting of this character, just trim down 50 points to make him like other starting characters. He's supposed to be the driver, the mechanic, the face, and the delivery boy. Sure, sometimes he's gotta steal what he needs to deliver, but that's all in a day's work.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-17-11/2144:00> »
I don't want to be JUST a wheelman or a face, is what I ment. Besides, I'm not looking to do a full on rewriting of this character, just trim down 50 points to make him like other starting characters. He's supposed to be the driver, the mechanic, the face, and the delivery boy. Sure, sometimes he's gotta steal what he needs to deliver, but that's all in a day's work.
But every time someone points to places where you could trim the fat, you say "No, I need that fat, it's critical to me".

You can't have it all, you're going to need to drop skills, positive qualities, or attributes to make up 50 points.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <07-17-11/2147:49> »
I'll be frankly honest: I wasn't entirely looking for advice onto WHERE to trim said fat. I was hoping to figure out how fat the character was so I COULD decide where I could drop a few skills/atribute points so I was no longer that large on my spent BP total.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <07-17-11/2150:15> »
The character is fat all over.  You're going to have to either be less good at most of your things, or drop combat juggernaut, wheelman, face, or mechanic off your concept just to get started, and then you still might not be down to 400.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"