NEWS

A bit of advice needed

• 2 Replies

benhatt

• Chummer
« on: <07-10-11/2246:19> »
So I've been getting back into running SR games (mentioned some ridiculouslessness that ensued in another post) and one thing that I've always had trouble with is the nebulous quality of hits sometimes - especially when it comes to legwork.  The more net hits the more spectacular the success, but I have a hard time judging that.  I find that even prepared missions are not great at explaining the flair of net hits. So I was just wondering how do you work with net hits when it comes to gathering information? hacking? etc?

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #1 on: <07-10-11/2255:21> »
It's often a judgement call, but a simple rule of thumb is to give 1 solid hint per net success:

Legwork on an extraction target, tiny dossier gives his name (Oliver Twist) and occupation (BioChemist at EVO)
1 net hit: Don't know him personally, but all EVO biochem stuff is done at EVO tower
2 net hits: Yeah, now that you mention it, he's on that team working on a new truth serum. Very hush-hush, though
3 net hits: I think those guys go out for brews and darts every Thursday night
4 net hits: You want to meet him? Head to McTavity's, the Irish pub on 4th.
5 net hits: I got a cousin works security at the EVO building. You want I should introduce you?
6 net hits: Oh, Oliver has a slight Meth habit. He's been in rehab about five times, so you want him to follow you anywhere, find a dealer first

etc etc
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-11/0343:36> »
It's often a judgement call, but a simple rule of thumb is to give 1 solid hint per net success:

Legwork on an extraction target, tiny dossier gives his name (Oliver Twist) and occupation (BioChemist at EVO)
1 net hit: Don't know him personally, but all EVO biochem stuff is done at EVO tower
2 net hits: Yeah, now that you mention it, he's on that team working on a new truth serum. Very hush-hush, though
3 net hits: I think those guys go out for brews and darts every Thursday night
4 net hits: You want to meet him? Head to McTavity's, the Irish pub on 4th.
5 net hits: I got a cousin works security at the EVO building. You want I should introduce you?
6 net hits: Oh, Oliver has a slight Meth habit. He's been in rehab about five times, so you want him to follow you anywhere, find a dealer first

etc etc

That is the ideal way to breakdown the intel you get in legwork.  One point I will use sometimes is that some sources have different info or more info than others.  Talking to his mom will get you A, talking to his paid for girlfriend will get you B, but talking to his secretary will get you AB, heck she is probably the person who actually picks out and purchases the presents he gives the first two.  Just depends on how deep you do the prep phase. 

I have run teams that love to be ghosts and some that believe every run is an opportunity for the Rodeo to come to downtown and some just like to do some quick rolls and have me start off with 'later that night many of you have scrapped together some interesting things about project: jabberwocky....'  and some want to put people in the box and see what they can sweat out of them.  As long as your making it fun for the characters playing that night and you stay adaptive it will work out.  Your always gonna give them enough to make a run at the run.  If they make it fun in the legwork play do try to get them some bonus for it.  Karma, contacts at the DMV, a janitor who will let them in for a little side money, or foreshadow a plot twist.  They should get out of it what they put into it.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu