NEWS

Adaspin

• 3 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <06-21-11/1623:31> »
Available as of 2070- now it is 2073, would you let a PC take it with a restricted quality?

KommissarK

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-11/1641:30> »
I would say its a matter of discussing the topic with your GM. Technically, RAW, if your campaign is set in 2073, and the book says its hitting the streets in 2070 (and the treatment time < 3 years), then yes, you can use restricted gear to acquire it.

My current GM generally requires all items acquired through restricted gear to be run past him first, as there are several things that start to cause issues in the game (MRSI system anyone? MGL-12 with that, and airburst link, and "I hit it with a 20P attack," sure its loud, but even SWAT teams have only so many members in them).

I certainly would not assume that its OK to do without first talking to the GM. Generally, if an item has a time range for when its released, that should mean that the item was written with the intention that characters should not start play with it.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-11/1810:30> »
I totally agree, I already have permission for it. But I wanted to get a general feel of how other people think about it. I run every crazy thing I try to do through our GM. I also provide him with any pro's and con's I find on here and dumpshock and the page information of what I want to do. So nothing I try to do in game is a surprise.

My one big concern was taking Adaspin, and then bio compatibility, alpha ware cyber suite from the Book and you end up with Delta ware cyber at PC creation. If I am doing my math right....which should be 10% for adaspin +10% quality +20 Grade +10 suite= 50% off ESS cost.

Now I know you could take Type o for delta Bio =30 BP
So restricted gear =5BP + BIO compatibility=10 +cost of Alpha ware for Urban Kshatriya (26,415$)=roughly 5BP (you do not need to pay double the cost for the BIO) + 6 BP (cost of Adaspin) comes to 26 BP for this one suite.

I feel that it is balanced and I do not mind passing it along to my GM. He will even allow me to take restricted gear and take the suite items like Muscle replacement and reaction enhancers at higher level.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #3 on: <06-21-11/2018:27> »

Up to your GM, but I'd interpret the RAW text as you cannot start with it. Period.

If it was simply Restricted Gear Quality accessible, it would simply list an Availability of over 12R or F - instead, this is the only thing they come out and say "You shall not start with Adapsin."

Of course, your GM can let you start with a stealth fighter, if they want. *shrug*

Sort of off topic, but as long as I'm playing hypothetical GM - the SWAT thing...

[DISCLAIMER: Putting on my GM hat - reader discretion is advised. Nothing to see here. Please move along.  :P]

If I were GMing, I'd probably let players get whatever Restricted Gear they want, along with a warning that there's consequences for playing with Big Boy Toys. SWAT teams may only have so many members (probably 12 or more) but at least two are usually snipers.  :o

If you get them, too, well...congrats, you've just taken out an entire SWAT team. The gloves are definitely coming off, and instead of Knight Errant SWAT you're dealing with the Feds or the Military...not really sure which would be worse, but either way you've got an appointment with something that a single grenade launcher can't deal with. Oh, and Knight Errant is out for blood, and likely has Prime Runners on the way to do a little "damage control".

What's that you say? No witnesses? Come now...someone knows where you got that shiny new MGL-12. Santa certainly didn't bring it to you, and even if he did...well, those Federal boys aren't too shy to use Compel Truth and maybe call in an AI to track that bad boy down.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist