NEWS

Ghouls are nasty!

• 62 Replies

Lagernoggin

• Newb
« on: <06-06-11/1100:00> »
New GM; wondering if I’m missing something.

I have a group of new PCs (and new players) headed into the Redmond Barrens (Squatter’s Mall) at night (time constraints), following clues. Some of the obstacles/events I thought might come into play were: Devil Rats, low force (2-3) Roaches, small time gangs protecting turf, and Ghouls. Then I actually read about Ghouls…

Tell me if I understand this correctly:

HMHVV III
Vector: Contact
Speed: 1 day (10)
Penetration: -6
Power: 8
Nature: Retroviral
Effect: Pain (Agony?), Nausea, Essence Loss, Transformation

A PC gets attacked and injured in melee by a ghoul at 20:00 4/1/72. Nothing obvious happens.

At 20:00 4/2/72 he rolls Body (8 ). (If he was uninjured in melee or otherwise touched the ghoul he adds the chemical rating of any armor or suit -6 (for HMHVV III penetration) for his first roll only?) Each hit on this roll reduces the Power by one (= PP or Previous Power). If he doesn’t reduce the Power to 0 he loses 0.1 Essence. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Body rating or less he suffers from Nausea. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Willpower he suffers from Agony.

At 20:00 4/3/72 he rolls Body (PP + 8 ). Each hit on this roll reduces the Power by one (providing a new PP). If he doesn’t reduce the Power to 0 he loses 0.1 Essence. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Body rating or less he suffers from Nausea. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Willpower he suffers from Agony.

At 20:00 4/4/72 he rolls Body (PP + 8 ). Each hit on this roll reduces the Power by one. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to 0 he loses 0.1 Essence. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Body rating or less he suffers from Nausea. If he doesn’t reduce the Power to his Willpower he suffers from Agony.

This happens every day for 10 days at 20:00 until the final roll (the (10) in the Speed attribute) on 4/10/72.

After 4/10/72, if he is still alive and untransformed (Ha!), he rolls Body (PP-PH (PH = Previous Hits) every day at 20:00 until he reduces the Previous Power to 0.

If at any time his Essence is reduced to 0 he dies. If at any time his Essence is reduced a total of 1.0 by this disease he transforms into a ghoul and takes the Infected (Ghoul) Quality.

He may spend Edge on his rolls. He may use antivirals but they will not help him because their max Rating is 6 and the Penetration of the disease is -6. He may receive a Cure Disease spell at -6 to the hits rolled. He may receive the Increase Body spell just before 20:00 to increase his Body up to his augmented maximum during his Disease Resistance roll. Can he use Zeta-Interferon before the first Disease Resistance test (and every 24 hrs for the next 10 days before 20:00) to stop the disease, or at any point after a Disease Resistance test to reduce the disease from Power 8 to Power 4?

Doesn’t this mean that with a Body of 15 (max augmented troll body), counting every 3rd dice as a hit, on day 10 he will have failed every roll and the Power will be 35 and the character will have lost 1.0 essence? Zeta-Interferon will save this character, and has a 50-50 chance (on average) of saving a character with a body of 12. If you are not an ork or troll whose emphasis is Body, you are screwed. As above, with Max Augmented human body (9) without Z-I on day 10 you transform (or die) and the disease is at power 53(!!); with Z-I it is at power 17

I’ve read that Ghouls are not uncommon in the barrens and seen it mentioned that some GMs throw them out when the game slows to add a fight for some excitement. These do not seem like opponents that should just be dropped in to a game to watch bullets fly, because it seems like if you go against these guys, you’re gonna become a ghoul, or die if you’ve had a lot of augmentations (low essence). This seems like an opponent that would fundamentally transform the game from a story POV 24 hrs after they were dropped in, especially against new PCs (not to mention new players).

Is there something I’m missing here? Something I’ve misunderstood?

Questions, corrections, comments, advice, opinions?
« Last Edit: <06-06-11/1101:46> by Lagernoggin »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <06-06-11/1133:51> »
They're a real bitch, they are... ;)

If the runners can prepare before-hand, they can invest in these Armor modifications:

Quote from: SR4A, p. 327
     Chemical Protection: The application of water-resistant, nonporous, and impermeable materials helps protect the wearer against contact-vector chemical attacks (Toxin Protection, p. 254). For full body armor, this will also protect against inhalation-vector attacks.
     Chemical Seal: Only available to full body armor, the chemical seal is an actual airtight environmental control that takes 1 Complex Action to implement. It provides complete protection against contact and inhalation vector chemicals, and has a built-in 1-hour air supply.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-06-11/1138:01> »
by RAW its even Worse !!!
A PC gets attacked and injured in melee by a ghoul at 20:00 4/1/72. Nothing obvious happens.
the Vector is Contact !
(not Injection) so the victim only needs to be near the Ghoul
Ancient History ,one of the Former Writers/Freelancers wanted to change the Virus(write an Erratta), but He's not working for CGL anymore.
Ghoul and HMHVV is a Red Flag (Is that the right Word ? it makes me Mad) for Me. Oh, and Asamundo too !!
this States defies any Logic !!!
A Lot of Groups that I know of change the Krieger SStrain to
Vector Injection
Penetration: -4
Power 6
there are only 2 (3) Protections (if You know in Advance that You have to deal with Ghouls.Once in Contact its too Late) thats Nanites, a Biotechnical transformation and ....a Potion from(I only know it in German Feuerechsenblut)....Blood of the Fire Lizard (?)
all 3 are extremely rare and expensiveqFastjack
Chemical Protection is of no use
Krieger Strain is by RAW Penetration -6 so unless You don't "Invent" Chemical Protection 7
it doesn't help.
Chemical Sealing helps though :)

with a rare Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <06-06-11/1140:42> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-06-11/1222:15> »
the worst thing with becoming a Ghoul: paying off the karma cost for getting a new quality in play (=twice the racial BP (35?) cost for a ghoul)

best thing is to house rule it and change the stats to what medicineman said.

Lagernoggin

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-06-11/1502:53> »
@ Medicineman

I think the expression you're looking for is 'pet peeve' which means something that causes particular annoyance. 'Red flag' usually means: warning! danger! or stop!.

@ All

So, is Zeta-Interferon effective against HMHVV III or no?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-06-11/1538:09> »
Ahh,OK
I just found
"Its like a Red Rag to a Bull "(thats what i meant :) )

but thats n Offtopic Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <06-06-11/1600:55> »
To use the phrase someone else coined:  "Drones go in first."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-06-11/1625:23> »
That's why investing in an up-armored humvee with a gatling gun heavy machinegun on the roof might in some cases be a very wise investment.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <06-06-11/1656:46> »
Here's an interesting (i.e. evil) idea. If it's spread by contact, do you, as a GM, factor blood splatter into the equation?

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #9 on: <06-06-11/1712:06> »
iirc, the author of the chapter misunderstood the drug rules that they are based on. The vector should be injection, not contact.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #10 on: <06-06-11/2051:16> »
Here's an interesting (i.e. evil) idea. If it's spread by contact, do you, as a GM, factor blood splatter into the equation?
Even worse . . Kill some ghouls, puree them into fine mist, deploy blimp drone with insecticide dispenser weapon.
fill ghoul-puree into tanks, have drone fly over city of your choice. presto, 28 days later there is nothing left of metahumanity . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-06-11/2111:27> »
As a Ghoul player, my GM ignored the rules on it. We used common sense and treated it like a disease carried in liquid. If all I do is claw you, you're fine. Bite you or blood to blood, worry.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <06-06-11/2155:55> »
As a Ghoul player, my GM ignored the rules on it. We used common sense and treated it like a disease carried in liquid. If all I do is claw you, you're fine. Bite you or blood to blood, worry.
Also, practice safe sex with a Ghoul.   ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #13 on: <06-06-11/2314:31> »
Man, contact or injection vector, that's still a pretty nasty terrorist attack.  Better hope you have Will Smith on hand.

The Infertile Infected trait means they have the genetic-mana-physiological traits of the Infected, but don't actually have the virus?

Is there info on how long the virus stays viable outside a host, or after the death of the host?

And just what does it look like under a microscope.  Is there a way to astrally perceive through a microscope?
Probably not an electron microscope, unfortunately.  Unless you...I don't know, got the backscatter directly, and had a crazy good spell to interpret it?

If it's a magical disease, is it affected by FAB III?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <06-06-11/2359:14> »
It is a magical disease, and is affected by FAB.

That's why the genocide of Ghouls in Chicago was such a nasty thing, as well.  And the free spirits.  And every other dual-natured critter out there that was sentient, semi-sentient, or just plain mean.

On the bright side, they got the bugs.  They think.  Maybe.  We hope.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11