NEWS

Unwired: Reduced Cost Programs at Character Generation

• 4 Replies

gerzel

• Newb
« on: <05-30-11/1711:35> »
I've been looking at the rules for pirated and freeware/opensource programs in unwired and i have a player asking about the rules for getting pirated programs at reduced costs during character generation.

I don't think I can let them go at getting them at 10% with no roles and I don't see the rules for how to do it during CG if there are any.

Could someone please help point me in a good direction?

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-30-11/1719:51> »
Technically it can't be done at chargen because it requires rolling, but I'd allow it. Common use software is already free up to rating 4 and the upkeep on degrading hacker programs can be annoying or expensive, depending ong the game.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-30-11/1726:23> »
the most common solution I know is having a pirate network as a virtual group connection. This way you can justify having the programs at chargen and you don't have to look for new ones and patches yourself. Just ask your forum and pay a small tip per month for the patches.

gerzel

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-30-11/1808:03> »
Ok this is what I've come up for my players.  How does this sound to you?

I will allow the software rules pretty much as written in Unwired.  To get software at 10% during chargen you will need to buy a virtual connection to a pirate software network of some kind at a connection rating equal to highest rating software bought.  I will be doing software degradation and a small chance for bugs.

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <05-31-11/0928:05> »
Pirated software requires rolls, so I disallow at character generation.  It would also give the hacker/rigger a significant starting advantage: "Hmm, so I don't have to spend 30,000 on software..."

A pirate network contact (i.e. Seattle Cracker Underground) is a solid investment for any hacker:
Negotiate deals where you maintain updates on several programs, and trade for other updates on a rating-to-rating basis with other crackers.
or
Pay the 10% monthly/bi-monthly patch cost.

A poster on DumpShock offered the suggestion to buy two copies of each program.  Crack one set and keep the other untouched.  Update the cracked copies with the legal updates you download monthly.  Expensive up-front but should avoid the chance of bugs.