NEWS

You might a Munchin if?

• 12 Replies

Triggvi

• Omae
  • It is all fun and games until the rum runs out
« on: <04-29-11/0017:11> »
If you took born rich, blackmarket pipeline(wares), Genetic heritage, sever addiction and have a super expensive car and emotoys and you live on the street so have to go cold turkey and can never have to play your addiction. Have uncouth, but super high social skills.

This is ment to be light hearted fun. If you are offended by this, please move on to another thread.

Speaking  Com  Thinking

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <04-29-11/0101:12> »
You realize you're just encouraging them, right?  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-29-11/0145:31> »
blackmarket pipeline(wares),

Why have i never taken that. derp.

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-29-11/0750:33> »
"Can I take the 'Everyone I Fight Dies' Quality?"
"No."
"Then can I take the "I Win the Game Three Times In a Game' Quality?"
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-11/1930:16> »
You realize that uncouth and high social skills is shooting yourself in the foot, right?  Because you will pay double cost for those social skills, negating the points you got for the flaw in the first place.  And you will still be treated as unaware for any social skill you don't possess, and will need to make social skill tests for things that would be obvious to someone without the quality.

The addiction is even worse, because the character doesn't have to go cold turkey.  He has all of those toys that he can hock on the cheap to get his next fix.  If the GM is especially sadistic (it is a severe addiction, after all), he might even have your character hocking a few organs to the local street doc for his next fix.  And let's not forget the dice pool penalties for going through withdrawal, or the fact that the character will have money for the next hit as soon as he takes his next job.

Munchkins generally depend on a lenient GM - or a new one, or an overwhelmed one.  They differ from mere min-maxers or character optimizers, in that they will exploit rules ambiguities with no regard for logic, or even outright cheat.  A min-maxer might take genetic heritage to get Reakt.  A munchkin will take the line about geneware being able to duplicate some bioware, and try to get synaptic booster: 3 out of it.  Other tactics I have seen:

You are limited to one 6 or two 5's for your starting skills.  A munchkin will get aptitude and a skill of 7, then get a skill of 6 or two 5's as well - after all, the rules only limit you with regards to 5's and 6's; they don't say anything about 7's.  Similarly, they will try to stack two (or more) sets of form-fitting body armor together.

Possession mages can be munchkin, if the GM allows a character with 1's in all physical stats, who summons a spirit for the sole purpose of buffing the character's Attributes.  This exploit depends on "Be me for the day" counting as a valid service.

Munchkins will try to get NPC-only options, such as blood magic, or abuse the rules for customizing weapons to create things like full-auto sniper rifles.

Some munchkins can take the vindictive, combat monster, paranoia, and bad rep negative qualities, and it is free points, because that is how they play all of their characters anyways.  ;D

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #5 on: <05-01-11/1942:17> »
You might be a munchkin if....

On starting a campaign:
- You have 16+ dice pools to fire your LMG on full auto (with no recoil penalties), while your comrades are struggling with a burst-firing SMG
- you have 20+ dice to soak damage and the enemies are using nothing stronger than Heavy pistols
- Your vehicle costs more than 100k, and you're not a rigger
- Your bound spirit is tougher than the street sam
- You're a physad, with but your magic rating is staying at 2 as you just wanted Astral Perception as a power
- The major changeling qualities perfectly suited your method of getting a few more build points (and you have zero metagenic qualities that visually identify you as a freak)
- your lowest attribute is 5, but you also have several attributes in double-figures... OR
- on min-maxing, you have several attributes at 1, with ALL others in double-figures.

or you know...things like that....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-01-11/2045:01> »
That kind of shows how subjective the label is.  The first two are actually pretty easy to get. 

The Ingram White Knight comes with a rating: 5 gas vent, and adding a gyro-mount harness or tripod can easily negate recoil for full-auto fire completely.  And 16+ dice, you don't even need to min-max for.  The real trick is using it without getting a Knight Errant SWAT team called down on you. 

20+ soak dice is also fairly easy, since a troll with soft-maxed body and decent armor can get that without any 'ware or adept powers.

It depends on the campaign, though.  Most players will bring characters suited for that particular game.  A munchkin will bring a 500 BP near-cyberzombie to a 300 BP game of Redmond gangers.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-01-11/2046:49> »
...And yes, I know I'm probably thinking about it too hard.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <05-01-11/2239:34> »
You might be a munchkin if....

On starting a campaign:
- Your vehicle costs more than 100k, and you're nota rigger
I was about to comment that "The Accountant From Hell"'s car cost about that, and isn't Munchkiny.  But it's only 50K.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #9 on: <05-01-11/2329:00> »
That kind of shows how subjective the label is.  The first two are actually pretty easy to get. 

The Ingram White Knight comes with a rating: 5 gas vent, and adding a gyro-mount harness or tripod can easily negate recoil for full-auto fire completely.  And 16+ dice, you don't even need to min-max for.  The real trick is using it without getting a Knight Errant SWAT team called down on you. 

20+ soak dice is also fairly easy, since a troll with soft-maxed body and decent armor can get that without any 'ware or adept powers.

It depends on the campaign, though.  Most players will bring characters suited for that particular game.  A munchkin will bring a 500 BP near-cyberzombie to a 300 BP game of Redmond gangers.

I completely agree that the label is subjective, hence, the use of comparisons in the same line.

Note: If a GM allows a 500BP PC into a 300BP game, then the problem is not the player, it's the GM.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #10 on: <05-02-11/0727:35> »
...if your Magician is Incompetent and Codeblocked in Hacking skills?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-02-11/1900:34> »
The description of Codeblock includes "Gamemasters should not allow non-hackers to apply Codeblock towards hacking actions they are never likely to take."  So that potential loophole is addressed right in the rules.

Incompetence is usually a bad idea.  You get a point of Notoriety each time you take it, and you are treated as unaware for that skill.  So a mage who is incompetent in hacking would be completely oblivious to the possibility of his commlink or gear being hacked.  "What do you mean a hacker could get into my commlink?  I keep it right in my pocket!"  It's still tempting to munchkins, but a true munchkin will take it for an obscure skill such as pilot anthroform, or aeronautics mechanic.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <05-02-11/2310:54> »
Haha, more like he'd know it happens, but doesn't relate that clicking on emails from the assistant to the executed president of Amazonia so he can provide his account information for a cut of 8 million nuyen has any relation to hacking.