NEWS

Weird Summoning concept

• 5 Replies

Longshot23

• Omae
« on: <01-20-24/2219:11> »
Not sure where this belongs, so I'm asking here.

Are there examples in the fluff/lore of metahumans, likely Awakened, being Summoned a la spirits either on Earth or from metaplanes?

Is it actually possible under RAW or RAI?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-21-24/0329:58> »
Not that I am aware of...

On Earth, that would almost be akin to teleportation... which is an unwritten "No -No" of SR magical Lore.

To a metaplane... well physical travel to the Astral and beyond IS possible, it requires the Gateway ability, which is generally limited to great form Spirits....
Awakened can undergo a ritual to reach the meraplanes. It's..... unpleasant (have to deal with The Watcher).

On THAT note; Nothing stops a Great Form Spirit from doing whatever it damn well pleases.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <01-22-24/1220:12> »
In Astral Ways there was a weird bit about The Hive (home metaplane of the Invae), that metahumans can inhabit invae there, much as invae inhabit metahumans on earth. 

That seemed to me to be a real change of the meta-physics of ShadowRun, so we'll see if that is carried on into the future or if that quietly gets dropped.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <01-22-24/1646:00> »
It's more about figuring out the actual metaplanes beyond where you go to initiate. The Hive and Dis are both planes that are more than a step away from our plane. And the Hive (and others) are foreign enough that simply being there isn't an option.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-24/2201:55> »
A summoning on a metahuman would likely come across as a weird obsession though, and surely be detectable by Assensing. Unless it affects the 'astral form' only. There's several shadowtalk/'fluff' examples of a spirit answering a summoning taking longer than expected, even when there's nothing like background count interfering.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <01-24-24/1109:36> »
A summoning on a metahuman would likely come across as a weird obsession though, and surely be detectable by Assensing. Unless it affects the 'astral form' only. There's several shadowtalk/'fluff' examples of a spirit answering a summoning taking longer than expected, even when there's nothing like background count interfering.

Oh, this made me think of a potential house rule (5e based, this would be too much in 6e I think):
- base number of rounds for a spirit to appear is equal to the number of its successes on the resistance test
- the caster may reduce that time by giving up service (each forgone service reduces the time to appear by one round.  If the spirit rolled no successes, or the caster brings the delay down to zero, it shows up immediately).
- the caster doesn't have to stay summoning all of that time, it is still just a complex action, it is simply how quickly a spirit responds that is variable

I've long felt that spirits wouldn't feel quite so strong if they were not so cheap (action economy wise) to replace.

I have a team in Denver currently, and given GhostWalkers fraggery around spirits I think I may test run this to see how it feels.  I'