NEWS

Body Shop - Allergen Treatment

• 1 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <01-18-24/1523:46> »
This is just my subjective view, but I think the authors got the cost of the geneware "Allergen Treatment" wrong.  $25,000 and .1 essence loss is a HUGE price to pay to reduce an allergy severity by 1 step. 

There is already a karma cost to eliminate a negative quality, and it is far cheaper to do that than to pay for these treatments, when looking at it from the standard exchange rate of $2000 per karma.

Cost to buy off allergy with karma: 4 (Plutonium makes me itchy) to 40 (eating gluten will kill me)

Converting that to nuyen: 8,000 to 80,000

Allergen Treatment geneware: 25,000 to 100,000, plus permanent essence loss of .1 to .4

IMO the cost should've been balanced around the karma buyoff number, for better compatibility with popular houserules like Working for the Man/People

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <01-18-24/1905:34> »
This is just my subjective view, but I think the authors got the cost of the geneware "Allergen Treatment" wrong.  $25,000 and .1 essence loss is a HUGE price to pay to reduce an allergy severity by 1 step. 

There is already a karma cost to eliminate a negative quality, and it is far cheaper to do that than to pay for these treatments, when looking at it from the standard exchange rate of $2000 per karma.

Cost to buy off allergy with karma: 4 (Plutonium makes me itchy) to 40 (eating gluten will kill me)

Converting that to nuyen: 8,000 to 80,000

Allergen Treatment geneware: 25,000 to 100,000, plus permanent essence loss of .1 to .4

IMO the cost should've been balanced around the karma buyoff number, for better compatibility with popular houserules like Working for the Man/People
Maybe it's a bit of real-life creeping into the game. Ozempic, a weight-loss drug created for diabetics is now $900 a dose as a prescription. All because non-diabetics have started taking it to lose weight. Not everything is balanced, sometimes it's just capitalism... Remember, the runners can earn Karma to get rid of the allergy, but your day-to-day citizen?