NEWS

What kind of Metatype are you?

• 8 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <12-29-23/1428:41> »
We have a thought-provoking question for you, chummers.

Last we dropped in, we asked what kind of runner you like to play. This time, what about your go-to metatype? Do you stomp around as a Troll, butting your way into everything? Do you flit around as a Pixie, using the ductwork of some corp-tower to get the job done? Are you a bog-standard Human, just blending in as you run the shadows?

Your metatype says almost as much about you as your archetype, so why do you pick what you do?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-23/1431:34> »
I’ve played most types, but find myself returning to elves and humans most often. Usually based on the backstory of the character and not for the bonuses due to type.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-31-23/1724:07> »
Human or elf.
Sometimes ork.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <12-31-23/1730:50> »
I tend to go Human as a protect against people saying Elves > Humans bonuswise. Or I just grab a Troll and go for some proper brute force.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <01-01-24/2033:01> »
Mostly play as a human..... just one in the sea of humanity...

But, I also play as an Ork when the mood strikes, or the GM setting screams "tusks 4 life!!" At me  :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <01-02-24/1152:34> »
Character concept/backstory vs mechanics can get interesting, as sometimes the initial concept just doesn't add up in character creation (this is mostly in 5e).  The result is that mostly I play humans because they have the most flexibility to make the concepts that I want to play work out, with the occasional elf because metatype priority D isn't too hard to pay and sometimes opens up options.

Perhaps notable is that in 6e I played a dwarf for the first time, despite about half of my character concepts in the past (1e, 5e) starting off as dwarf and ending up human.  6e rule changes working as intended!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-24/1310:36> »
Generally a lot easier to play the style, background and fantasy you want in SR6 without getting as mechanically punished for it as you likely would in previous editions.

Having said that, would not mind if Humans in SR6 were given some minor benefit over other metatypes to compensate that they can't use Adjustment Attributes on physical or mental attributes and does not get any free racial qualities.

Absinthe

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-06-24/1536:13> »
Mostly I have played humans and elves. Once a gnome. Other times a changeling.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-24/0944:39> »
It's a bit 'special snowflake' but I've always liked changelings and my longest standing characters are a dynasty of such fae creatures (now mainly NPCs as I don't get to play as much as I'd like!)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36