NEWS

What kind of Runner are you?

• 6 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <12-18-23/2133:15> »
We have a thought-provoking question for you, chummers.

When sitting down to start rolling some d6's in a high stakes game night of Shadowrun, what archetype of runner do you tend to play? Do you like to blast spells around like some Mage or Shaman? Do you prefer to go in guns blazing like a typical, bullet-head Street Samurai? Are you a techie and prefer to run Deckers or Riggers?

Now, the real question to ask is, why?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-19-23/1136:52> »
Played for a long time as a 'black trench coat" mage. I focused mostly on utility spells. With just a few combat spells. To start :D

Lately been playing in 2 different campaigns, with 2 different characters. The first one, I am a Street Sam specializing in dual machine pistols and high reflexes.
The second character is a  Dwarven adept.... who is very much 'pink mohawk' and 'a little man with little man syndrome'.....
« Last Edit: <12-19-23/2240:28> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-19-23/1214:53> »
I've always leant towards the infiltrator type, usually an adept, sometimes with a smattering of Face, occasionally with some combat potential and even rarer with a matrix twist... something about SR just calls for the need to sneak  8)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

EltonJ

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-19-23/1302:27> »
The last time I was a player, I played a mage.  Typically from New Orleans.  I GM a SR4A campaign right now.

Now why?  I thought it would be fun, actually, to try and play a huckster in Shadowrun.  Had a knowledge of card games and gambling (especially poker).  It was a blast. 

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <12-19-23/1347:03> »
My first was Zero, a shaman initiate back in the early days. I tend to lean towards magicians/adepts, and my favorite character is my Social Adept Mercedes.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <12-19-23/1350:14> »
1) Not combat centred characters.  That much is clear (not by design, just looking at what I've played)

2) Not too low on essence, that just always makes me uncomfortable

3) Beyond that .... the annoying kind who doesn't optimize for role, I guess? 

I mean, my first character was a racoon shaman in 1e and was pretty straight up, if kind of weak. But since coming back to the game via PBP in 5e I've been all over the map, with the major theme being "trying to be good enough at a role to get by while also doing other things that I find interesting."  and minor theme being "looking at what holes the group may have." 

Or maybe a better way to say it is that I I love exploring the lore and the world (and neat qualities and game mechanics) with my characters, and then I find some things that they can do in order to play them in ShadowRun.  That makes the actual role kind of secondary so it varies a lot.  Out of characters I've logged much time with there was a pacifist mage who was bad at spirits, a decker whose cyber-arm cost more than his deck, a mystic adept who couldn't cast spells and whose best skill was intimidate, a face who wanted to be a brawler, a low magic mage detective who was an ace at astral perception and  astral combat, a drone user who isn't a rigger, and (6e) a technomancer who wishes they weren't and whose best skills are Athletics and Con.  If anyone sees a pattern that I missed, I'd love to hear it!

(but also, what I really remember about them are things like: Exploring the potential emotional/mental health side of having literally used cyberware, putting what was an integral part of someone else into yourself?  What does the prison system do with long lived meta-types and what is the effect of being imprisoned for decades and then being released in the prime of your life?  What is it like to be re-built better than before, but to lose connections to your past/culture in the process?  What does teenage rebellion look like in the SR world? What if you were the crazy drone lady?)
« Last Edit: <12-19-23/1402:11> by Beta »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-19-23/1617:49> »
My longest running character (and my forum handle namesake) Banshee is a dual wielding gunslinger Elven hitman. Started out in 1e with him and has been converted through as a PC up to 3E, got retired and is now an NPC fixer in my campaign.

I don't get to play as much these days but when I do it's usually as a technomancer face names SparX
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team