NEWS

[Bestial Nature] Questions

• 9 Replies

TalonZorch

• Newb
« on: <07-05-23/0934:23> »
Hi!
I am currently preparing my review for Bestial Nature and get some questions.

p14 - Dual Natures
It states that this "is only available, when specified by the Shifter quality". All four Shifter Qualities state Dual Nature as gained. Is this just to be future compatible to be able to implement Shifters without Dual Nature, or do I get something wrong?

p15 - Enhanced Senses: Sonar
As Sonar is not specified in this book, I would think it will work like ultrasound (especially regarding invisibility), but only under water. Is this codified somewhere?

p15 - Enhanced Senses Vomeronasal
Would a person withe the Pheromone Bioware be pleasant or unpleasant? So would it give nauseated odr would it be a bonus for the shifter?

p16 - Natural Venom
This is some kind of building set for poisons. The limitation on power 4 makes it so, that you can not use any of the crb poisons for reference. Are there any other venoms with maximum power 4 in any other book for reference?

p16. Natural Weapon
as with Dual Natured, all do state the entry "Natural WEapon". Compatibility for the future, I guess?

p21 - Astral Blending or Animal Pheromones
I guess, that these titles are formatted wrong. They should either be like Astral Blending or like Animal Pheromones.

p21 - Augemantation Integration
Just to be sure. I can Animalisticice to gain a 0.25 essence hole, plug delta ware in there - and I can then shift and use all my powers with this delta stuff, right?

p. 22 Increase Phyisical Attribute
This gives me a +1 bonus per level on an attribute in anmal form.
If I had also taken Shifter Grace or Might - do these count towards the +4? As they are qualities I would say no, so I could take Shifter Grace +4 Agility and then Increase Phyiscal Attribute (Agility) +4 for a total of +8?
Seems a bit overpowered. Whats the ruling there? In RAI I would say, that Grace / Might should also imply the maximum augmented limit.

p36 Silver Bullets
How do I determine, if the Bullet penetrated the shifter or if it is stuck in the Shifter? This may be quite relevant regarding the allergy.

It is a great book and I really do like it ;)

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-05-23/1113:02> »
p16 - Natural Venom
This is some kind of building set for poisons. The limitation on power 4 makes it so, that you can not use any of the crb poisons for reference. Are there any other venoms with maximum power 4 in any other book for reference?
The limit is power 8 - it says "2 per level, maximum 4 levels" (not maximum 4 power)
p21 - Augemantation Integration
Just to be sure. I can Animalisticice to gain a 0.25 essence hole, plug delta ware in there - and I can then shift and use all my powers with this delta stuff, right?
As long as your Essence doesn't drop below 6, where all the bad stuff happens, yes
p. 22 Increase Phyisical Attribute
This gives me a +1 bonus per level on an attribute in anmal form.
If I had also taken Shifter Grace or Might - do these count towards the +4? As they are qualities I would say no, so I could take Shifter Grace +4 Agility and then Increase Phyiscal Attribute (Agility) +4 for a total of +8?
Seems a bit overpowered. Whats the ruling there? In RAI I would say, that Grace / Might should also imply the maximum augmented limit.
Shifter's Grace, Might, and Reflexes don't specify that they increase an attribute's maximum value, so we should assume they count against the +4 attribute limit.
Never mind, that doesn't make a difference.  It's a good question, but in all likelihood it does count against the +4 limit.
p36 Silver Bullets
How do I determine, if the Bullet penetrated the shifter or if it is stuck in the Shifter? This may be quite relevant regarding the allergy.
IMO, shifters were intended to have also been given the weakness Vulnerability (CRB pg 229) to their allergen, which is the quality dealing with combat damage instead of mere contact - the DV is increased by their Magic attribute or 3, whichever is higher, and cannot be healed by magical means.
Reference the shifter ability Supernatural Recovery on page 17: "Damage from fading, vulnerabilities, and allergies are not healed by Supernatural Recovery". 

« Last Edit: <07-05-23/1130:06> by MercilessMing »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-05-23/1221:30> »
Dual nature / Natural Weapon wording is simple future proofing if some other author wants to do something else in a different book.

Sonar, works like the GM should think it works.  Most of the senses in 6th edition do not have particularly crunchy rules.  Ultrasound is a fine guideline.

Vomeronasal, pheromones could trigger it, yes.  It's difficult to codify guidelines around smell. 

p. 21, yep the Animalism powers got formatted two different ways.

p. 21 Augmentation stuff.  Yes, works in both forms.  Mind you a human Cyber Arm will still be a human Cyber Arm, just on a Golden Retriever or whatever. 

P. 22 Increasing Attributes, either option is an Augmentation so would be subject to the +4 Limit.  The general rule is if it increases an Attribute its an Augmentation and subject to the +4 limit.  If there is something that is an exception to that limit it's specifically noted.

Silver bullets.  Shadowrun combat is abstracted, there just isn't going to be rules for through and through, or embedded or just a graze for gun shots.  Damage caused by Silver bullets is going to trigger the Allergy and not heal quickly.

Silver bullets don't do extra damage to shifters, they stop the Supernatural Recovery.  Handling silver is uncomfortable to shifters and triggers the allergy.  The Allergy would be triggered by getting shot by silver bullets as well, at least I'd rule it that way as a GM.  Fun little RP scene as the Troll Sami carves the bullets out of the shot up shifter so the healing can kick in.  Edit: First aid and the like for the Silver bullet damage.  Supernatural Recovery for the sami's version of 'surgery'. 
« Last Edit: <07-05-23/1226:44> by Hobbes »

TalonZorch

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-23/1300:19> »
Thanks for your reply!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-23/1455:14> »

IMO, shifters were intended to have also been given the weakness Vulnerability (CRB pg 229) to their allergen, which is the quality dealing with combat damage instead of mere contact - the DV is increased by their Magic attribute or 3, whichever is higher, and cannot be healed by magical means.
Reference the shifter ability Supernatural Recovery on page 17: "Damage from fading, vulnerabilities, and allergies are not healed by Supernatural Recovery".

You worried me for a second there, I thought drain got dropped from the final copy.  Which would be.... not the best.  But no, Supernatural Recovery does not heal drain either. 

It's an Allergy on purpose so it triggers in non-combat instances as well.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <07-27-23/0211:59> »
Pg 34 Smart Clothes. According to the stat block, Smart clothes get a "Rating" of Body for a full suit, Half Body for a half suit, and quarter Body for a quarter suit. Cost is based off Rating.

Does this Rating do anything else for the suit besides set the cost?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-27-23/1059:18> »
Sets the cost and how much material you've got to work with.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #7 on: <07-29-23/2305:04> »
Thanks.

Now,  Shifter Barding

Also has a Rating, which sets the Capacity and Cost. Does not affect Defense Rating.

Heavy Barding is stated to have a max equal to Body, but what is the maximum Rating of Light Barding?
« Last Edit: <07-29-23/2306:39> by KarmaInferno »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-30-23/1610:58> »
Max rating of half body round up was what was intended.

Red Bear

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-25-23/1110:54> »
Sonar doesn't just work underwater. Bats use sonar.