NEWS

[IC] In the Absence of Light, Darkness Prevails

• 21 Replies

Boer_Kommando

• Omae
« on: <03-31-11/1402:43> »
The call arrives at a little past 1 am with no discernable caller ID. The voice on the other end has a tint of an English accent faded however as if spent a great amount of time away from the Isles. “Your whole life you’ve had questions, questions that had no answers made available to you. If you’re still curious about them wait for the car to pick you up at the Pikes place Market along the pier section of Seattle.” The line drops with no way to respond. The question remains, are you curious enough to wait at a deserted place in the dead of the night?

If so, the trip, however you managed it was quick, quicker perhaps due to luck or maybe the late hour made the commute smoother. You made every light, the public transportation was more than on time…it was early and your connections smooth. A thick fog has overtaken the pier area and the old electric lamps cast a dim and yellowish glow, except one further down. It casts a brighter, almost blue-white light. Your footfalls echo along the cobblestone streets left in place like the lamps to give a historical feel to the area. You find yourself not alone. There are others here with the same weary and curious mask on their faces.

[OOC: There is time here to introduce yourselves/ make your introductory posts about coming before the car arrives.]

It is a full 10 minutes wait before the black Bentley rolls through the fog, appearing almost out of thin air. The large antique car rolls to a stop and the rear passenger doors open up. The interior is classically opulent yet dimly lit, providing an eerie shadow effect as you glance within.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-31-11/1533:51> »
Aisha had always been curious and now she had been standing there for a while, having arrived a bit early. While she hadn't used her invisibility, she had been standing back, being almost invisible in the darkness and the fog.  It was something she had learned in the jungles around a lot of hellholes all over the world.  It was also there that she had learned not to be afraid of the darkness and most predators, including metahumans.  Here she was confident that she could handle most regular gangers.  Summoning an servant of Ra would be more then enough and if not, she still could turn invisible and get away.  She had checked out the others and she was impressed.  Quite a number of awakened here.  So far she had kept back and had not spoken to anybody.

She was dressed in standard urban pattern combat fatigues, pistol on her right thigh, combat knife on the left hip.  On her collar were two black bars and on her right upper arm a unit patch: a black lightning bold on a red field, with a black star on both sides of the lightning bold.  A backpack with the same camouflage pattern completed the outfit.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <03-31-11/1625:02> »
The phone rang. It was one of the many memorabilia Frank had stuffed in his cramped apartment that seemed fit for a museum. Of course it wasn't a real phone -those were simply impossible to hook up to modern technology- but when at home, his commlink sent a signal to what looked like an old phone standing on a small table against a moldy wall in his apartment, wooden pencil and yellow post-it block lying next to it. Obsolete, but it had style, Frank figured, even if he was the only one to notice.

Frank let it ring a couple of times while lighting a cigarette and emptying his glass of cheap synthetic bourbon, then picked up without saying a word.

A monologue followed, then a click and the monotonous beeeep meaning 'empty line'... he'd actually had to find software to simulate those last two sounds, but it had been worth it. The voice hadn't been some damsel in distress, that would've made it more classic; then again, the moment the thought entered his head, he knew that of the last 300 phone calls he had received, 233 had been monologues and not a single one of those had been a damsel in distress. At his age, things didn't just change like that. Classic might be in need of a new definition.

He listened to the hollow beep for a while, pulling hard on the cigarette and wishing he hadn't finished his drink, then crushed the butt on a stack of others just like it in an ashtray standing next to the phone.
'Your whole life you've had questions, yadiyadiya.', what bullshit. That's one of those lines that everyone's suddenly supposed to feel connected with, that empty desire for a meaning to, and sense of mystery in, a dull and meaningless life. Even the psychic hotline got tired of that one. Call me 30 years ago.
Frank searched his mind for the voice or the accent, had he heard it before? The answer came before the question was even finished. No for the voice. The accent was very similar to that of Officer Vincent McEnroe, a character in a 50's Cop-Trid that got canceled after half a season; similar but not the same.

After 7 boring minutes and another cigarette, he decided to check it out anyway. He'd almost run out of smokes and needed a couple of new cartons anyway, why not stretch his legs? Besides, it hadn't exactly been raining jobs lately.
So he put on his brown leather longcoat and duster hat, entered the Stuffer Shack across the street, bought 3 cartons of cigarettes and 5 bottles of Jimmy Nine's Authentic (Synthetic) Bourbon, a smaller bottle of Vodka-to-go, threw them on the passenger seat of his car and started driving.

It was the strangest drive he'd had in decades.
Dark? Check. Rain? Check. Cigarettes & Booze? Check.
Easy traffic and straight green lights? That was when you knew something was fishy. Ain't no such thing as luck or coincidence.
When he arrived though, the sense of dread had subsided along with the rain and he felt safe stepping into the cliché environment.
Abandoned pier area? Check. Thick mists? Check. Echoing footsteps? Check. Yellow lighting casting big shadows? Check. Everything clear.
One light seemed out of place and a bunch of people were crowded under it, must be were he was supposed to go.
He counted the distance to his car. 60 meters. Too far to run if he found himself in need of a gun. Ah well. He trusted the gut feeling that said he wouldn't be needing his shotgun, pushed his hat a bit firmer onto his head, tossed a piece of gum in his mouth, lit a cigarette and walked towards the light.

He didn't need any magical mumbojumbo vision to notice most of these people, if not all of them, were awakened. Somehow that figured. He didn't address anyone in specific when he spoke.
"So, everyone got that call from the psychic hotline, huh."
It sounded as an observation, not as an attempt at humor.
He finished his cigarette, tossed it away and lit a new one.
And all looking very eager to find out who called and what that was all about too. Huh, kids.
« Last Edit: <03-31-11/1736:59> by Xzylvador »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #3 on: <04-01-11/1926:10> »
The message caught Cara in the middle of her "morning" meditation. Her ambivalent relationship with the sunlight made her almost creature of the night...and since she lived with rufus, that became almost rule.
First, she thought it to be next mysterious message from that incomprehensible entity ocupating buildings electronic systems. What she heard from the audio system was something different from usual beeping and buzzing and other cryptical sounds comming from CHN, refridgerator and other machines. She dont care, as much as everything works the way she needed. There was a lot of space for every beeing in the place like this.
After hearing the message, she contemplated for a moment. I didnt disturbed her plans for this night, this way or another, she was going to take an usual walk with Rufus and then begin the training.
There was no reason to refuse this meeting, from those few people who knew her actual commcode, it was highly probable, that she was contacted by someone within the company. Still. She wasn`t used to receive messages like this, and that little spark of curriosity was something she let herself yield to.
So she decided to make todays walk a bit longer than usual and maybe there will be some training oportunity that should prove itself usefull for both of them.
She whistled for Rufus, who was taking his morning meal, pet him friendly and told him that the are going out. She didnt gave him the collar, he was more the friend and partner to her thn trained animal, instead she hide him from currious eyes of faithfull citizens by the cloak of invissibility spell. To her astral sight, nothing had changed, and they was used to comunicate more this way than the other. Taking her kukiucchi yari from the shelf in the shrine, she told Rufus to follow her.
Then she closed the enrance, checked the ward and left a plate of syntha-milk with crumbled soy bar at the door yard, maybe some of those kami she heard singing their songs in the nights pay her a visit, and it would be inproper to leave them hungry and thirsty.
As she walked into the night, to take the transport to get closer to meeting point, she felt more and more certain, that she is folowing the path and that whatever happened this night, it is the part of how things have to happen.
The flawless flow of the transportation, fluid stream of subtle consequences, this all made her sure about this. Some people watched her curriously, as she made her secondskin reflect the stars at the sky, that was hardly seen in the city. But none of them make it closer to her. Rufus, even if hiden from their sight, radiated so intensive aura of danger, that at the end of her way she was traveling almost alone.
When she finaly approaches the point of meeting, she toke a minute to sit at the bench close to the seefront, tolding Rufus to Guard she left her body and continued forward just in the dream form. She didnt sense any danger, and saw a little group of people, most of them also awakened, with a grain of expectation and curriosity and biger portion of caution.
She slipped back to her body and get to the meeting place to greet those, who had seen her astral presence, and those, who have not.
And..she also released the spell hiding her barghest friend. Just to make sure that those people do not suspect her from some wrongdoing.

Coming from the mists appears a fragile, pale elven woman, accompanied by huge, dark beast. At the first glance, you should think that she is blonde, but when you recognize the colour of her iris, nobody doubts that she is albino. She approaches with no obvious hostility, gretts you all, quitely but politely, and stands there, out of direct light, with her hand laid on the head of the beast, that sat down by her side. Dressed in the stars ilustrated second skin, she is almost naked to your eyes, hiding nothing. She holds short, decorated, light spear ih her second hand, perfectly polished spearhead shimmering in the dark...

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-01-11/2118:52> »
As the Bentley pulls up Last Resort peers out the window at the waiting invitees.

"Varied bunch... Good."

He checked his holsters and smoothed his suit, short brown hair combed? Check. Nice Suit? Check. Baseball Bat? Check.

The door opened electronically so he didn't need to do anything, he just sat, arms folded, waiting for them to enter.

He nodded his head in greeting to Cara and Rufus, then finally opened his mouth to talk, "Welcome aboard newbies."

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-02-11/0223:59> »
A barghest? Miss White's just walking around with that thing? She never heard of cops? Invisibility spells only go that far, magical security doesn't even care. Not to mention the smell and sound of it even with the smell.
"Nice pet... Wouldn't want to be the one walking it though... Must need a really big plastic bag to clean up after it."

The car pulled up, the door opened. Was that an invitation to enter?
"Ah damn, whole car is gonna smell like wet dog." Frank muttered more to himself than anyone else.
« Last Edit: <04-02-11/0350:51> by Xzylvador »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-02-11/0647:14> »
Good evening, mr. Resort.

She taps the doorsil with the blunt end of a spear:
"In"

Cara waits until Rufus got in, then she looked around the place, cleanse every astral tracks they may had left here, get in to the car and take a bottle of water from Bentley`s bar.

Well..I rather think about Rufus as a friend, not a pet...and in fact, i let him feed on local gangsters. No plastic bags are necessary after he is finished with them.
But you are right, Im not used to walk with my friend in more civilized areas. I would take more effective measures to hide him if I were expecting any difficulties. But I should for sure use any advices, Im quite new in this human...anthill, and I`m better with animals then with men..."
My name is Cara, mr...?

Then she turns to Aisha:
"Oh, dear. You look quite..emancipated. I think it would be honor to stand by your side. Is that a glimpse of the Sun, that I see in your eyes? I wish I could stay as close to It as you can...but the destiny had chosen much darker paths for me to follow. I hope that you dont mind the pressence of my protector and friend in the night."

From what you have heard to this point, Cara seems a bit naive when dealing with words and civilized world. Her language is almost perfect...gramar, vocabulary...right from Oxford exercise book. Without the touch of real life...she doesnt even have any accent that should make her diction distinct from strictly formal English, no citispeak impurities, no vulgarities...
She also look a bit...distant to the reality, not like she is lunatic but more like she doesnt feel too comfortable with it. She is almost always, except for routine physical tasks, perceiving astraly, which is I think this is obvious for most awakened or experienced characters.
« Last Edit: <04-02-11/0715:13> by Sichr »

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-02-11/1112:06> »
"It's not the feeding I was thinking about, but what comes after."
More effective measures? Unless you polymorph the thing, it wouldn't have gotten past me even before my awakening.
He grimaced. "Frank. Just Frank."

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-02-11/1140:47> »
Ah..I understand...you mean excrements...That is what cleansing robots are for.

...she said with shining, innocent smile...

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #9 on: <04-02-11/1426:54> »
Echoing footsteps. Heavy footsteps. Running footsteps.
Large shadow pierced the fog into the lit area.
The Orc was massive, bulging muscles, tusks brought up the image of alpha specimen of the tiger, red hair cut short, military style.
He was all about military style, from the heavy boots, through the military grade armour and rifle up the helment he kept in his clawed hand and a large riot shield on his back. He run at practiced pace. Aware. Dangerous. Unaffraid and yet .. somehow lost. His aura flowing. There are surely some implants in him, but that was not that, he was like someone not in his element...

I am sorry if I am late. I hope I haven't missed the briefing. 
Damn, I hope they didn't notice, civilians don't make mission briefings.
I am Chief Santo, or rather Santo, though people used to call me Chief Santo, but I shouldn't be called that anymore since the company got dissolved, but you might still call me Chief if you want or Butcher but that's how people called me at ease, but ...

Damn, Butch, get a grip of yourself, you're babbling.

.. anyway ... it's good to meet you, I hope we'll make a good squad...  somehow
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-02-11/1454:49> »
Frank allowed the other world to enter his senses. Despite its beauty, he instinctively didn't like, didn't feel like he belonged being in it or should be witnessing it. Still, it had proven a useful knack from time to time.

He looked at the naive white elf... albino and physicly incredibly weak -even weaker than himself- she looked like she could snap in half if she sneezed. Her aura showed as almost an exact opposite; quite powerful, more than the other woman or himself, even if he hadn't had that 'ware put in himself.

The other woman, at least half North African, had less magical power than the first, but not much less.
She'd seemed pretty average from a physical point of view, but her aura had a terrible case of asthma.

Two women in the prime of their lives, and I'm still the one in better shape?
Frank wasn't sexist; he'd met far too many strong women for that; but these two sure made it hard not to reconsider.

The man who'd already been in the car looked pretty plain. His powerful magic aura, equal to the elven girl, and the magical weapon on his back didn't leave much to the imagination though, he wouldn't be a pushover.

Frank started to will his senses back to normal when the sudden arrival of a new aura  interrupted his concentration. As the orc, obviously ex military, introduced himself, Frank got a good look at him too; then turned back to normal vision to look at the brawny Orc with his normal senses.

"'Make a good squad?' The psychic hotline tell you guys anything more than it told me? If we're going to be doing 'squad' things, I think I'll be getting my shotgun." And need to double-check my docwagon contract.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-02-11/1507:18> »
Last resort grins slightly at the Orc. "Welcome, Welcome."

"Frank, the phone call will be explained in due time, don't worry. Drink?"

Where did that glass of Bourbon come from? When did he have time to pour it, let alone crack open the car's mini bar?...

"It's Real." He smiled happily.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-02-11/1519:08> »
Clara was watchin closing warrior. He was...imposant...watching him made her shiver, The beast of its own kind, such combination of beauty, elegance and power...had to find a way to talk to him, later...maybe in some more private conditions...her cheeks almost blushed with those thinkings...she let that feeling slide with the warm wawe thought her whole body, beeing excited...at least a bit.
Rufus reacted by his own way...deep growling sounded more like an earthquake in narrowed space.
"Calm down, my friend. They are with me tonight"
She embraced barghests neck with one arm, nestle against the massive body, making the room on her other side...
Now...this deffinitely looks like a group of warriors. She didnt want to be rude, so she didnt read auras of her companions so far. Maybe later, if it would be necessary. She noticed that some others are more currious about the nature of others...or maybe they are more cautious.
Well this was the place she was meant to be, and there is noplace safer in whole universe. Still, her presence has a purpose, so she had to figure out how to fit at the best to what is going on. For the beginning she may use her skills of protaction.

[OOC: Counterspelling 8 for every member of the group]
« Last Edit: <04-02-11/1532:36> by Sichr »

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-02-11/1754:09> »
"Worry? Heh. Don't get me wrong, it sounded really mysterious and all that, but it takes more than a phone call to get me worried."
Frank accepted the glass with a smile and emptied it in one swig. Tasted real enough, that was all that mattered. He made a mental note to watch this figure. Anyone who could conjure up booze like that, magical or otherwise -he didn't bother checking-, was well worth keeping an eye on.
"I like the car, got some good stuff if you want the dog smell cleaned out of it later, too. Since we're on a first name basis, I wouldn't mind knowing what to call you.", he smiled at Last Resort and raised his empty glass. "You know, in case I get thirsty."

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-02-11/1813:06> »
"Last Resorts the handle for jobs, I like to be prepared and if things go badly, I end the thing. You can call me Dean."