• 16 Replies

mwiland

• Newb
« on: <03-15-11/1617:15> »
Tell me what ya think.

Timmy
400 bp
All books
Perfer Optional Rule "The Resonance Difference"  (Unwired pg 137 - 138), if not perhaps those bounses can be taken as an echo later on.

Name: Thomas Miller
Alias: Timmy
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Nationality: White
Lifestyle: Low 2 months
Karma Spent: 0
Physical Description: Average
Nuyen on hand: 1600¥

Attributes

BodyAgilityReactionStrength
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
EdgeResonanceEssenceInitiativeMatrix Initiative
2569 10 +1 for full VR
Composure Judge Intent Lift/Carry Memory

Living Persona
ResponseSignalFirewallSystemBiofeedback Filter
5(6)3453

Positive Qualities
Technomancer5
More than Metahuman5
Juryrigger10
Black Market Pipeline - Drones10
Paragon - Daedalus5, +2 dice to Hardware Tests, +1 die for Machine Sprites

Negative Qualities
SINer (standard)-5
Prejudiced -15(Common, outspoken) is outspoken against non-paraplegic people and the way they pander to those who are paraplegic
Nano Intolerance -5
Paraplegic-10

Lifestyle 12 Points = Medium x2 months
ComfortsEntertainmentNecessitiesNeighborhoodSecurity
1, Squatter1, Squatter3, Middle2, Low3, Middle
Easy-going Landlord +1, The Landlord isn’t overly concerned with late payments, noisy parties, or the occasional gunfight.
Workplace +1, This raises the space aspect of Necessities by two levels.
Drone Shop built into the extra space given by the Lifestyle Quality 'Workplace'.
500¥ monthly stipend from lawsuit that stemed from accident.

Contacts
ContactC/L
Labor Union Rep - Fixer4/2
Jimmy - Drone BMP2/1
Local Disability Charity Organisation0/0

Active Skills
Cracking Skill Group2Logic
Tasking Skill Group2Resonance
Electronics Skill Group2Logic
Pistols2Agility
Automatics1Agility
Gunnery2Agility
Pilot Ground Craft3Reaction
Pilot Aircraft2Reaction
Perception2Intuition

Knowledge Skills ( [Logic + Intuition] x 3 free points)
Drone Design5
Drone Engineering5
Mechanical Design4
Mechanical Engineering4
Seattle Street Gangs3

Language Skills
Irish Gaelic N
English 5
Japanese 4

Complex Forms
ProgramRatingLinked Attribute
Analyze3Computer
Command5Misc
Edit3Computer/Hacking
Nuke3Hacking
Scan3Electronic Warfare
Black Hammer3Computer/Hacking
Exploit3Hacking
Sniffer3Hacking/Electronic Warfare
Spoof3Hacking
Stealth4n/a

Sprites
Sprite TypeRatingTasks
Machine52
Optional CF: Drone Mechanic

Defenses
ArmorBalistics/Impact
Armor Clothing4/0

Weapons
WeaponDVAPModeRCAmmoNotes
Ruger Thunderbolt 5P-1BF212(c)Only fires in narrow bursts, w/underbarrel laser sight, w/Concealed Carry license
Defiance EX Shocker x2 8S(e) -half SS-4(m)May be used in Melee range, range up to 20 meters. 1 used with Ford LEBD-1
Colt M236P-1SA/BF/FA(3)240(c)Used with GM-Nissan Doberman.

Gear 18 bp
Automotive Tool Kit
Electronics Tool Kit

Vehicles
GMC Hermes Van
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensor
-110/2010021762
Standard Options: Delivery Van appearance, 2 Small Landing Drone Racks
Upgrade Options:  Turbocharger 1, Rigger Adaptation

GMC Sandal
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensor
010/25602242
Standard Options: Special Machinery (Package delivery/retrieval system)

Transys Steed (Wheelchair)
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensorDrone Size
+110/20403223Small
Standard Options: Assembly Time Improvement, Smart Tires

GM-Nissan Doberman
010/25753363Medium
Standard Options: Walker Mode, Weapon Mount (external, remote-controlled turret), Clearsight 3 and Targeting 3 autosofts

MCT Fly-Spy x2
+13/15153102Minidrone
Standard Options: Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, Maneuverability 2 autosoft

Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly x2
+13/15303112Minidrone
Standard Options: Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, Special Machinery (minidrone weaponry, see description Arsenal page 117 - 118)

Ferret RPD-1X x2
010/20603123Minidrone
Standard Options: Improved Sensory Array

Lone Star iBall Offensive x2 w/Flash-pak and Smoke Grenade
+13/15153102Minidrone
Standard Options: Limited Maneuverability, four additional modification slots

Ford LEBD-1
05/20803363Medium
Standard Options: Mechanical Arm, Weapon Mount (external, fixed, remote controlled), Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, Special Machinery (2 handcuffs)

Personality/background:   I had started as a manual worker in a drone factory in the Auburn community at the age of 18 and working my way up to a mid-level designer, but an accident at the age of 30 when a faulty control arm caused me to fall 2 floors over a railing left me paralyzed from the waist down.  After that I started to notice strange things, such as that I was able to communicate with some of the new drones and some of the other automated machinery as if by AR even though my commlink had been left with security.  At first this only happened once or twice, here and there, but as time went on it started to happen more and more.   At times I thought I was loosing my mind, but eventually I managed to learn to live with it.  After some lengthy research I had come to the conclusion that I am in fact a technomancer.  After my accident my employer considered me to be too big of a libialty to their business and laid me off.   My union rep advised me that because I was laid off I should be recieving a monthly disability stipend due to my accident.  She assisted me in fileing a lawsuit to force my former employer to pay me what I am due.  I had to sell some of my belongings to make my rent more affordable due to the stipend not being enough to cover rent. When my neighbors found out I was good at fixing drones they started to pay me to do just that.  It wasnt much, but it still was not enough to make rent.  Nobody was willing to hire a cripple, and those that were I couldn't hold down because I was still dealing with my newly found Technomancer abilities.  It was then I realized that I might have to go underground just to make it by and give my life some purpose.
« Last Edit: <03-30-11/1445:31> by mwiland »

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #1 on: <03-15-11/1629:25> »
You're going to want a higher Willpower than 3.  Or at least I would.  And Etiquette is always a useful skill.

But mainly, Sensitive System for a character with no cyber is cheap and I wouldn't allow it.  Give him some phobias or allergies or something instead.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <03-15-11/1655:27> »
I'm sorry, I have to say it...

"We're going to need another Timmy!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-15-11/1737:04> »
Just made some adjustments as noted above.  Thanks for the comments keep them comming.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-15-11/1740:24> »
Perfer Optional Rule "The Resonance Difference"  (Unwired pg 137 - 138)
Ugh, only extra benefits with no extra drawbacks... personal opinion on those optional rules is "Yuk, munchkin cheese".

Otherwise it looks great.

You could get a bit more BP to spread around if you soft cap Resonance at 5, but then you'd have to lower Command and it appears that the high Command CF is what you're focusing on.

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-15-11/1745:34> »
It was but, it is something i can sacrofice i also forgot to mention that i also put a point into intuition which increases my responce, init and matrix init, which are a def bonus.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <03-15-11/2351:01> »
Max out Resonance.  It is everything for a TM.  You will never have enough of it.

Threading is a Software + Resonance test.  You have no software skill.  This could lead to problems.

You don't need mechanics skills.  That's what tutor and machine sprites are for.

You can default on pilot ground craft, by you can't default on pilot air craft.  If you ever want to jockey a flyspy or an LEBD-1, you need air skills.

Don't listen to DeadMonky.  Sensitive system is not a BS quality, it limits your potential avenues of character growth.  That's why you shouldn't get it.  The same is true of Nano Intolerance.  Getting Neocortical and Limbic Neural amplifier nanites is a great idea, as well as any genetic treatments which would increase your logic or intuition DP, like PuSHeD, Qualia and Dynomitan.  If you're having problems soaking Fading damage, there are options down the line.  You can fit a lot of great stuff into 1 essence.  At least buying off Nano-intolerance won't bust your ass like Sensitive System will.  30 karma is a lot of soul-cheddar.

On complex forms, max out all of your CFs now.  The are 1 BP/level at creation, or [rating]/level karma later.  So, going from 3 to 4 is 1 bp now, or 4 karma later, going from 3 to 6 is 3 bp now, or 15 karma later. 

As to which CFs to take, drop Armor.  It's garbage.  You won't thread it, and 3-6 armor is 1-2 less DV per hit in cyber combat.  You're still dead in 2 hits from a decent opponent.  Get the Shield CF instead.  It will keep you from being hit in the first place, which prevents all damage, not just some of it. 

Hey, you know what, let me just print out my annotated top ten CFs for your consideration.

1) Analyze - because it's perception
2) Stealth - because not fighting is victory by default
3) Exploit - because it's every matrix action ever
4) Shield - because not getting hit means not getting hurt
5) Nuke - because it kills everything dead, and quickly (except TMs  you have to hammer them)
6) Command - because it's every non-matrix action ever
7) Data Bomb - because dropping a threaded up Data Bomb full of program options is an atomic-level "fuck off" sign
8)  Spoof - because threaded spoof means that the drone is damn well listening to you
9) Sniffer - because there's a threshold 3 test to grab airborne signals and snooping on wired transmissions is an opposed test to not be noticed, like stealth.
10) Blackness - Sometimes you just gotta off a dude, or at least thread up some psychotropic effects to make him terrified of the Matrix.
Bonus CFs!
11)  Scan - Since there's apparently a different version of Electronic Warfare for TMs and hackers, this lets you use the TM version of the skill.  Otherwise, you'd have to rely on Sprites or Agents to scan for you, which isn't a big deal.
12)  Wildcard slot.

What don't you need in the bionode?

Encrypt can be handled by your commlink.  Just route your traffic from bionode to commlink node. I suppose it would be nice to thread Scan to uber levels for that threshold 4 find hidden node test, in those rare cases when you don't have the 6 seconds to do the extended test. Still, not particularly worth it, considering how comparatively easy it is to write common progs. You need that high Software skill to thread anyway, so why not put it to use writing a R10 scan prog?
ECCM should be software as well since you'll want it on drones too. Might be cool to thread it to bust through jamming though.. Possible sub-in for 10-12.

Track and Decryption are for sprites/agents. Decryption is an extended test, and a gimmie. Track isn't much different.
Defuse is for sprites too, since a TM shouldn't risk a Data Bomb anyway.
Edit and Corrupt will serve similar functions. Edit is useful for real world interactions like trid/audio manipulation as well as creating fake accounts. Corrupt is awesome because it doesn't even require you to find the info in order to trash it. Neither involves particularly difficult tests, so neither needs more than Sprite/agent-level attention.
Medic? Sprite, heal thyself.

Disarm? Depends on your GM.  It's usually useless, but if your GM is a stickler about alerts going off if anything in a node changes, the disarm deserves to a spot on the list.
Armor? If you're in trouble, run and come back a turn later with a new ID and refreshed Stealth.
Attack isn't as good as Nuke in any way vs digital threats or as good as Blacks against persistent people/TMs.
Purge and Reality Filter are total garbage.

Did i forget anything?
« Last Edit: <03-15-11/2353:05> by Kontact »

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #7 on: <03-16-11/1609:53> »
Don't listen to DeadMonky.  Sensitive system is not a BS quality, it limits your potential avenues of character growth.
I didn't say it was a BS quality.  I said that it's cheap for a character with no cyber (and little chance of ever using it) to have it.  I'm one of those GMs that won't let you have it unless you have some cyber to go along with it.

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-17-11/1540:08> »
I kind of get the feeling you missed the intent of my toon.  The intent of my toon is not from the hacker standpoint but from the rigger standpoint.  so with that said what rigger doesnt have a driving skill and a mechanic skill?  and my choice of skills are to find those hidden drones, and to make sure that i can communicate with those drones.  and if one of my drones gets into trouble when i (or a member of my group) cannot recover it, i erase its memory and spoof my way back or self-destruct it if possible and then go aquire a new drone.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <03-18-11/0315:56> »
It's not that you don't need driving skills so much as that you do need at least 1 rank in flying skills to fly anything.  That's just some food for thought.

As for mechanics, just because your guy talks to his cars that doesn't mean he needs to be a grease monkey.  It's totally your call if you see the character that way.  I don't want to be that guy who tells you who to play.  I'm just reminding you that, a R6 tutor sprite can give you any technical skill at lvl 3 or simply have that skill at r6 and apply it with mechanical arms. 

Also, as your TM grows, you'll be able to take the skillwires echo and emulate skillsofts, which is another thing to consider.

And Monky, I understand your stance, but, at the same time, whether you have cyber or not, the quality still causes problems.  Cyber is still an advantage.  Just because someone plans to opt out of that advantage, that doesn't make it a best choice, nor something they won't regret later, especially if you help them regret it. ;)

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-18-11/1125:49> »
prior to your first post i had already swapped out the "sensitive system" quality and replaced it with "prejudiced"  but having a tutor sprite "jump into" a bot that i could either purchase or piece together thru "juryrigging" be my grease monkey is not a  bad idea i hadnt thought of before.  i could just swap out mechanic for pilot aircraft.  and a few other ideas that just sprang to mind.

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <03-18-11/1648:56> »
I just did some tweeking around so again take another look and tell me what u think.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <03-18-11/1851:24> »
And Monky, I understand your stance, but, at the same time, whether you have cyber or not, the quality still causes problems.  Cyber is still an advantage.  Just because someone plans to opt out of that advantage, that doesn't make it a best choice, nor something they won't regret later, especially if you help them regret it. ;)
True enough.  I guess what bothers me about it, is it's like saying you're allergic to peanuts when you've never actually eaten them before.  How can you even know that?

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-19-11/0154:04> »
It's an option to get tested for allergic reactions - ink a grid on someone's forearm and put a controlled amount of tested substances in each box on their skin. Wash it off and look for redness, swelling, etc.

Safer than testing for allergies by scarfing peanuts, seafood, bees and whatever else. You might have gone through this in school.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <03-19-11/1312:02> »
The real issue with this isn't that the character has no cyber or might not get any.  It's that taking this quality opens up a lot of metagaming issues.

The character need not know he even has that quality.

Course, this brings up the metagaming issue.

"My character wouldn't want cyberware."

That line, is that really how the character would behave or is it because the player knows about the quality?

The character can also know about the link between holistic integrity and Resonance loss.  Not wanting to risk losing Resonance, so avoiding cyber.  Again, is this metagaming or playing the character?  Chicken or the egg?

To some, it's sort of like a kid deciding to give up brussels sprouts for Lent, feeling like they had no intent to do it in the first place and just wanted to get some brownie points for doing what they would have done anyhow.  To those who feel like that it seems very much like cheating the system.