NEWS

[SR6] Sprite Power Duration

• 4 Replies

Sugarpink

• Newb
« on: <04-15-20/1356:24> »
So I am right back with a second question about TMs.

The sprite can conceal a persona or device
in such a way as to make it invisible to Matrix
searches. Concealed personas or devices can only
be found with a Matrix Perception test that is specifically looking for the hidden icon; even then
sprite can make an Electronics + Resonance test,
with net hits becoming the threshold for the Matrix Perception test.

There are a few Sprite powers that are worded like this, with no limit to their duration. To me, it would make sense that the power would last only as long as the Sprite is around, but RAW there is nothing in here about the Sprite needing to "sustain" the power. So it could also be read as that the power sticks around even after the Sprite is gone. Which interpretation is correct?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-15-20/1407:39> »
Banshee's pretty good about giving Matrix answers, but in the event he misses this one I'll give you what I predict his answer would be:

Sprite Powers are in a mechanical sense analogous to mundane/magical Critter Powers.  This includes no -2 dice for sustaining the power, and of course the power not persisting beyond the sprite's service
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sugarpink

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-15-20/1408:45> »
Aight. Makes sense to me. So unless Banshee overrules this, I'll go with this interpretation.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-15-20/1414:42> »
Yep SSDR is right

EDIT: that's one of those things that was supposed to be cross referenced with another chapter (this time magic/critters) to make sure it conformed.
« Last Edit: <04-15-20/1418:09> by Banshee »
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Sugarpink

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-15-20/1442:52> »
Yep SSDR is right

EDIT: that's one of those things that was supposed to be cross referenced with another chapter (this time magic/critters) to make sure it conformed.

Thank you for clarifying both of my biggest oofs I encountered in my first set of Shadowrun games.  ;D