NEWS

Where's Harlequin? What happened to Renny and Haberstam

• 66 Replies

Ancient History

• Newb
« Reply #60 on: <04-05-11/2027:57> »
I blame Africa squarely on Peter Taylor and the SoE writing crew. It's basically their version of American writers' work on Mexico, and we know how well that turned out.
That statement is ignorant. Given that Synner isn't here to defend himself, could you explain how in six hells Shadows of Europe is at all responsible for the depiction of Africa in SR? Even if you meant Shadows of Asia, which Syn was also involved with, and which does cover a few countries in the Middle East that border on Africa, it still doesn't make any damn sense.

Abstruse

« Reply #61 on: <04-05-11/2051:19> »
I blame Africa squarely on Peter Taylor and the SoE writing crew. It's basically their version of American writers' work on Mexico, and we know how well that turned out.
That statement is ignorant. Given that Synner isn't here to defend himself, could you explain how in six hells Shadows of Europe is at all responsible for the depiction of Africa in SR? Even if you meant Shadows of Asia, which Syn was also involved with, and which does cover a few countries in the Middle East that border on Africa, it still doesn't make any damn sense.
I think there were some bits about Lofwyr and Aden's pissing match over the Middle East in SoE, but it was far more detailed in SoA and DotSW from what I remember.  Maybe that's what he's talking about?

Personally, I didn't see any problem with the writing in Mexico (Aztlan's one of my favorite sourcebooks), but I also have never been there even though I'm a daytrip away from the border.  UK seemed to get it the worst especially with Scotland.  And a lot of the stuff on England seemed...off.  At least from what I know.  A lot of Europe seemed strange too, but I'm going to put faith in the huge German fanbase to have fixed that over the years.

Ancient History

• Newb
« Reply #62 on: <04-05-11/2125:20> »
There's a lot of weirdness wherever you look in SR. Some of it can be chalked up to Did Not Do The Research (Roman roads in Ireland, 6WA), some of it to Collaborative Blah (Seattle as McCity in Runner Havens), and some to Author Idiosyncrasy (Lagos and Chicago, Feral Cities). If you're going to blame someone, it should at least be for something specific and something they've actually done.

While I'm here, in regards to the OP, might as well mention: early on in SR4, I'd decided that Renny would be making a comeback as one of the shadowtalkers. Unfortunately, the reveal was in The Untethered Life, one of the drafts that I took with me when I left. It's a continuation or follow-up to a bit of fiction I wrote, The Wake of Captain Chaos.

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <04-05-11/2145:30> »
Just don't ask me to write about Quebec.   :P

Indeed, some of us wouldn't take that well. :P

While we're on the topic of cultural faux-pas in SR canon, it really would have been nice if SR4 actually took the step to retcon the most egregious cultural insensivity in North America. I can't really imagine any of the Lakota I know naming their newly independent country the "Sioux" Nation.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <04-05-11/2230:32> »
Ain't gonna happen.

Like I said, I have no problem with west Africa being a bit ... crazy, and that's all Cyberpirates!. So was wiping out most of Africa. But it's the line from SSG about the continent being bugs, toxics, and ghouls is what I think of as the shining contribution and to SR once someone finally got around to it. It was like a warning: Fuck Africa. We don't give a shit.

Lagos was just ... I don't even know what to say about that or the sidebar writeup on everywhere else. I have no problem defending it or any book location, but it just comes off as more of the same shit FanPro couldn't get enough of that was just inserting RL shit into SR like, well, comics have been doing. Both are lazy, creatively vacant, and stupid in the context of being background for magical and cybered runners/superheroes respectively in worlds that ARE NOT OUR OWN. I will be damned if I do that while I have my shot writing for this game.
« Last Edit: <04-05-11/2233:20> by Crimsondude »

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #65 on: <04-06-11/0000:19> »
I can't really imagine any of the Lakota I know naming their newly independent country the "Sioux" Nation.
I've always wanted to write about an overly litigious, Native from Cheyenne, assistant chef named after the guy who wrote The Art of War. Johnny Cash wrote a song about him.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Ancient History

• Newb
« Reply #66 on: <04-06-11/0612:23> »
Ain't gonna happen.

Like I said, I have no problem with west Africa being a bit ... crazy, and that's all Cyberpirates!. So was wiping out most of Africa. But it's the line from SSG about the continent being bugs, toxics, and ghouls is what I think of as the shining contribution and to SR once someone finally got around to it. It was like a warning: Fuck Africa. We don't give a shit.

Lagos was just ... I don't even know what to say about that or the sidebar writeup on everywhere else. I have no problem defending it or any book location, but it just comes off as more of the same shit FanPro couldn't get enough of that was just inserting RL shit into SR like, well, comics have been doing. Both are lazy, creatively vacant, and stupid in the context of being background for magical and cybered runners/superheroes respectively in worlds that ARE NOT OUR OWN. I will be damned if I do that while I have my shot writing for this game.
And if you want to bitch about FASA (Cyberpirates!), FanPro (Sprawl Survival Guide), Catalyst (Feral Cities, Sixth World Almanac), that's your prerogative. If you want to name names, then I expect you to be able to back that shit up. At least Synner didn't demarcate half of Africa as "There are brown people here!" with that Congo Tribal bullshit.