NEWS

Telescoping Limbs(5e)

• 7 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <03-04-20/1540:32> »
2 questions,
Are the limbs just straight line extensions like a hand on a stick, or are they flexible and able to go around obstacles to get a handhold?
&
Can you make a melee attack with a telescoping limb, essentially punching or stabbing someone at range?

I've been playing around with this,
I made a character and would like your professional opinion.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1si4bKm0c58Jt-YmzK_n244RtZUIX0PII
« Last Edit: <03-04-20/1604:51> by Chalkarts »
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-20/1707:14> »
My opinion is no.  They just extend in a rigid, straight way.

OTOH, I envision that a Grappling Hand CAN make an unarmed attack to grab onto something at range, so that you can then go all "GET OVER HERE".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-20/1712:20> »
2 questions,
Are the limbs just straight line extensions like a hand on a stick, or are they flexible and able to go around obstacles to get a handhold?
&
Can you make a melee attack with a telescoping limb, essentially punching or stabbing someone at range?

I've been playing around with this,
I made a character and would like your professional opinion.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1si4bKm0c58Jt-YmzK_n244RtZUIX0PII

Its going to be in a straight line, just like your limb. This is not "Go-go Gadget"  :P

You have actual, practical Physics at work here, remember :P

For your consideration:

https://www.jms.co.uk/hire/rough-terrain-boom-lifts/jlg-800aj-diesel-boom-lift/

This piece of equipment, I use just about every damn day on the job... it only weighs 35,000 POUNDS... and at full 80 foot extension, just myself, my tools, and my supplies have TIPPED the fucking thing 9 times in 15 years.....

And before you ask, no I am not a fat ass. I weight 170 to 190 lbs... but the machine can only handle about 550 lbs, 80 feet out from wheel base.

For your "Snakey arms" (or worse, legs!), there is no way to telescope, AND remain functional, AND have tensile strength. (Remember, all those wires STILL have to reach all those actuators for your toes to function, or your fingers to flex... so its not just in the "outside shell" that has to be modified and move, both EVERYTHING else as well... )
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-20/1909:10> »
I was thinking of using it for stealthy movement and attack.
Hang from the ceiling above then extend the arm, tipped with cyber finger syringes, and narcojet a guard below.

Ad snake fingers and several cyberfinger tips, could move like elastigirl, lol.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-20/1433:14> »
Agreed that it is straight line only.  Note the crunch details about reach and loss of strength, but agreed that much of the utility comes from using your imagination.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-20/1555:50> »
While this may not be the best option for straight melee danage, it does open up some interesting options...

2nd or 3th story window access...
Touch atracks at MUCH longer ranges
Getting a beer from the mini fridge without moving your ass off the sofa.

.... That last one is probably the best one
« Last Edit: <03-06-20/1406:45> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <03-06-20/1359:27> »
While this may not be the best option for straight melee danage, it does open up some interesting options...

2nd or 3th story window access...
Touch atracks at MUCH longer ranges
Getting a beer from the mini fridge with moving your ass off the sofa.

.... That last one is probably the best one

Agreed!

In one of my home 1-player + recurring NPCs games, we have a would-be urban brawler with a cyber arm with a couple of points of telescoping (she’s a pretty strong orc and has max strength added to the arm, so even with it extended has pretty good strength).  A few of the things I can remember it being used for so far:
-   Mage put gecko crawl on her, and she was waiting on the ceiling to punch or grab someone coming by on the floor (fairly high ceilings in the building in question)
-   Aid in climbing (just grab something at full extension and pull herself up)
-   Hoisting someone well up into the air as part of intimidation tactics
-   Getting opponents to reveal their firing positions by reaching out a gun to shoot around a corner (was low grade construction where shooting through the walls was easy enough, but she wasn’t where they expected her to be).  Same general idea for opening a door when expecting hostiles.
-   Punching into a sustained spell zone without being in it fully herself
-   Boosting less athletic team mates up to windows or over fences
-   Grabbing the steering wheel from the back seat when the person driving had to go hot-sim or astral
-   Just using the reach factor when dealing with foes who were high-skill but not excessively tough
-   Helping to start a fight in a bar by making one person think that the person behind them had punched them

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-08-20/1836:28> »
I was going to give it telescoping limbs, monkey feet, snake fingers, with several syringe fingers.
Using gecko gloves and a chameleon suit, he'll creep along the ceiling until he gets in a good position above an isolated guard, extends his hand down and injects the guy in the back of the neck then vanishes along the ceiling again.