NEWS

(SR5)Baseball bats & Grenades

• 5 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <02-25-20/1630:23> »
I have a pickle for the rules people.

I have  character that is a pro baseball player, high athletics, specializations in clubs and aerodynamic thrown weapons.

I've seen ball players pretty much put a ball wherever they want it with a bat when they toss it up themselves.

If a character were to have spherical grenades and a sufficiently strong bat, could they sail a grenade super long distances with decent accuracy?  If so, what kind of test would that be?

I suspect that a crit glitch would detonate the grenade.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-25-20/1640:33> »
I'm not sure you'd actually bat a hunk of metal packed with explosives any further than you could simply throw it... certainly nowhere near as far as you could slug out a ball made to be batted.

But who wants realism trumping the rule of cool?

Personally, I'd treat it with exactly the same process as throwing a grenade, other than the skill being used and maybe increasing the threshold by one or two. In exchange for it being harder to place on-target, give it increased range.  Maybe strength is considered higher (while ignoring augmented limits) for calculating range bands.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-25-20/1651:03> »
You do not hit Grenades with Baseball bats.  Or at least not very many times.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-25-20/1656:06> »
I'm kind of with SSDR here ... go for the rule of cool.

Double the cost of the grenades... have to custom made to withstand the impact with the bat 1st
Then use the same rules as thrown except use your  club skill and then use the club damage as a replacement for the strength in the range bands
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-25-20/1741:53> »
Chalkarts,

I'm with SSDR and Banshee, use the rule of cool. 

Custom grenades (extra cost), longer range but less accurate.  I don't believe it will break the game.

Let's them be cool, maybe have a distinctive style (negative qty.)?

Regards,
Sir Ludwig
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #5 on: <02-25-20/2324:01> »

Custom grenades (extra cost), longer range but less accurate.  I don't believe it will break the game.

Let's them be cool, maybe have a distinctive style (negative qty.)?

I was already planning on some custom grenades designed like baseballs, with fake threads for finger grip.
He's a thrower adept, what I'd really love to do is Peg a guy in the head with a grenade, doing the adept thrown weapon damage.  Then once he's dropped from a baseball concussion, kaboom.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts