NEWS

Undetectable firearms

• 29 Replies

mdp

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <04-05-11/1155:29> »
Indeed, another trick would be to make the holster plasteel an have it appear as a commlink device or something

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #16 on: <04-05-11/1813:14> »
Intuition + Perception vs. the creator's Intuition + Artisan (capped by their Armorer) feels right.
If going that route, I'd say give a pretty serious dice penalty to the operator. S/he must be far to used to the computer picking out anything suspicious.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <05-19-11/0314:19> »
Also, Just breaking the weapon down for transport would help fool a MAD or cyberware scanner. Think of how many hundreds (thousands?!?) of people who walk through these things everyday, with god knows what in their pockets, backpacks, briefcases and/or purses.

And remember, from a corp's view: "security is only so good as it saves money. Once it costs money, security is a detrement!"
meaning, if you system is going off every time someone has a commlink, a pen and a comb (the housing, barrel, and clip to a dis-assembled gun) on their person, that line up is not going to move AT ALL! And if that line up isn't moving, the Corp isn't making money! (after all, people are stuck in a line up and not working/shopping!)

Of course, this means they have to find someplace to re-assemble their weapons in relative privacy, and so leaves them open for attack.

All in all, it depends on where and when for security. Sometimes the easiest way is the most legal way. (hello permits on disposable SINs!) And sometimes it's heavy way ("hello Mr. store clerk, don't mind my Colt Manhunter tucked into my pants, just sell me this liter of soymilk")

Go with whatever it takes to keep the game moving forward, let the sci-fi details work themselves out!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #18 on: <05-19-11/0354:07> »
I always wondered about that weapon.breakdown.  "No, uh, this is just...an extra-large novelty pen.  Shaped like a gun.  And, uh, yes I'm happy to see you."
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #19 on: <05-20-11/0507:50> »
Also, Just breaking the weapon down for transport would help fool a MAD or cyberware scanner. Think of how many hundreds (thousands?!?) of people who walk through these things everyday, with god knows what in their pockets, backpacks, briefcases and/or purses.

And remember, from a corp's view: "security is only so good as it saves money. Once it costs money, security is a detrement!"
meaning, if you system is going off every time someone has a commlink, a pen and a comb (the housing, barrel, and clip to a dis-assembled gun) on their person, that line up is not going to move AT ALL! And if that line up isn't moving, the Corp isn't making money! (after all, people are stuck in a line up and not working/shopping!)

Of course, this means they have to find someplace to re-assemble their weapons in relative privacy, and so leaves them open for attack.

All in all, it depends on where and when for security. Sometimes the easiest way is the most legal way. (hello permits on disposable SINs!) And sometimes it's heavy way ("hello Mr. store clerk, don't mind my Colt Manhunter tucked into my pants, just sell me this liter of soymilk")

Go with whatever it takes to keep the game moving forward, let the sci-fi details work themselves out!

The tech is always getting better and making it easier to make a call but its the personnel really running the show.  Well trained agents have seen or have at least heard of it all.  They are constantly changing up and upgrading procedures as intel gets dropped to them.  Competitors rat each other out on smuggling product to hurt each other, informants bargin away secrets, agents on the take get found out, and it all comes back as further intel they use to catch them another mule, smuggler, etc.

You got to do your homework and find where there are checkpoints have their hands out, checkpoints that have out dated machines or repeated gear failures,  really high turnover rates, or just lax from unuse and neglect.  Legwork can be just as important as your tech in beating security.  Its great if you can beat best security in the world with your sidearm still on your person but more likely your gonna find a fight you can fix.   
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-20-11/1647:43> »
The tech is always getting better and making it easier to make a call but its the personnel really running the show.  Well trained agents have seen or have at least heard of it all.  They are constantly changing up and upgrading procedures as intel gets dropped to them.  Competitors rat each other out on smuggling product to hurt each other, informants bargin away secrets, agents on the take get found out, and it all comes back as further intel they use to catch them another mule, smuggler, etc.
And how likely do you think it is that there a well trained agent sitting there manning the Checkpoint?
I wouldn't say that on most plaes a chance of that happening is about 0,01%.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #21 on: <05-20-11/1655:32> »
Personally, I'd make a scanner being monitored by an operator be done as a teamwork test. As in the operator's successful hits add dice to the scanner's test, to represent the scanner presenting an anomalous "I don't know" reading for the operator to look at. Or maybe the scanner's hits add dice to the operator's test.

-k

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #22 on: <05-21-11/0106:33> »
Intuition + Perception vs. the creator's Intuition + Artisan (capped by their Armorer) feels right.
If going that route, I'd say give a pretty serious dice penalty to the operator. S/he must be far to used to the computer picking out anything suspicious.

They'd probably see anomalies on a daily basis.  False positives are common.
A guard sees an actual positive once, and then he gets shot in the head.
« Last Edit: <05-21-11/0701:39> by Kontact »

TheBigD

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <06-04-11/2036:19> »
I have a rules question that fits into this topic nicely.

Where can I find the rules and costs for hermetically sealing weapons and other objects?  I know where the rules are for detecting such things, but a player has asked for the costs of such things and I cannot find the answer.  Can someone point me to a page number and a book? :P  Thanks in advance.

Piell

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <06-05-11/0831:15> »
The only spot I've seen rules for it are on page 22 of Arsenal, in the HK Urban Fighter description.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <06-05-11/1115:44> »
what about a Slingshot, easily detachable and made of plasteel ?
the Bullets disguised in a ball bearing ?
a strong Ork or Troll could do 4-6K Damage

with a Dance in Disguise
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #26 on: <06-05-11/1514:52> »
And how likely do you think it is that there a well trained agent sitting there manning the Checkpoint?
I wouldn't say that on most plaes a chance of that happening is about 0,01%.

Random check points it could be more like 5 or 10 percent chance if the checkpoint is between any who are suspicious and paranoid.  Finding a softspot in the Tir borders, Denver, or some major corp conclave is not impossible but unlikely without effort.  Some runners who specialized in border hoppin, smugglers, will make this look easiier than it is.  Just like Riggers do driving, St Sams do banging, and Hackers do with the Net.  Got to giive the class its due for what it does.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #27 on: <06-07-11/1502:52> »
what about a Slingshot, easily detachable and made of plasteel ?
the Bullets disguised in a ball bearing ?
a strong Ork or Troll could do 4-6K Damage

with a Dance in Disguise
Medicineman

Ah, but then you have to find a way to sneak a Troll through security!

I actually have some crazy ideas involving my Hold-Out and Taser being equipped with Gecko Grips, carried in hidden arm-slide holsters, and having a high Palm skill - something along the lines of palm the weapon, stick it to something when no one is looking, get scanned, then palm it again.

...   ???  :-\

It's a work in progress.  ::)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #28 on: <06-07-11/1736:24> »
it's an idea O.o
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <06-17-11/1913:48> »
I have a rules question that fits into this topic nicely.

Where can I find the rules and costs for hermetically sealing weapons and other objects?  I know where the rules are for detecting such things, but a player has asked for the costs of such things and I cannot find the answer.  Can someone point me to a page number and a book? :P  Thanks in advance.

A bit late for this but it's p35 in the Runner's Companion. It's Availability 2 and the cost is Rating x 100¥. The Ares Low Intensity Laser should also be purchased, it burns off chem residues outside of the container. This is to seal the items, not the actual clips like the HK Urban Combat. You're essentially ziplocking the things.