NEWS

[SR3] Wireless Matrix Help

• 7 Replies

Clyax113_S._Xaces

• Newb
  • I love the crime more than the sci-fi.
« on: <02-12-20/1423:55> »
Hello,
I am a noob coming from Shadowrun 5th Edition playing a 3rd Edition game.  I am unable to connect directly to the LAN that's not connected to the main Matrix lines, so that's completely out of the question.  What are the rules for wireless Matrix access?  Thus far I have an understanding of how SATCOM works, but I'm trying to see if I can find any way to get things to work through WAVECOM or BEAMCOM.  I'm attempting to see if I can have someone attach a device to a LAN that's closed to outside Matrix access so that I can wirelessly connect from an RTG to a transceiver connected to the RTG line then wirelessly to another transceiver connected to a closed LAN and into the closed LAN.  How can I essentially "hop the wire" so to speak?  Thanks.
I demand AT LEAST one explosion a month.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-12-20/1429:00> »
IIRC 3rd edition is set prior to Crash 2.0 and there is no wireless matrix.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-12-20/1430:03> »
Hello,
I am a noob coming from Shadowrun 5th Edition playing a 3rd Edition game.  I am unable to connect directly to the LAN that's not connected to the main Matrix lines, so that's completely out of the question.  What are the rules for wireless Matrix access?  Thus far I have an understanding of how SATCOM works, but I'm trying to see if I can find any way to get things to work through WAVECOM or BEAMCOM.  I'm attempting to see if I can have someone attach a device to a LAN that's closed to outside Matrix access so that I can wirelessly connect from an RTG to a transceiver connected to the RTG line then wirelessly to another transceiver connected to a closed LAN and into the closed LAN.  How can I essentially "hop the wire" so to speak?  Thanks.

3E doesn't have wireless matrix ... so unless your GM is house ruling or importing from a newer addition you can't.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Clyax113_S._Xaces

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-12-20/1952:48> »
IIRC 3rd edition is set prior to Crash 2.0 and there is no wireless matrix.
But what about BEAMCOM?  What would that be used for if not Matrix ability?

Clyax113_S._Xaces

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-12-20/1953:03> »
Hello,

3E doesn't have wireless matrix ... so unless your GM is house ruling or importing from a newer addition you can't.
But what about BEAMCOM?  What would that be used for if not Matrix ability?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-12-20/2038:01> »
Beamcom is a direct tight beam connection method that is easily blocked and or intercepted and is not "wireless" aka cellular amd only allow communication between two specific transceivers and not from a RTG to a LAN ... same thing applies to Wavecom.

Best advice I can give you since that system is over 15 years out of date is get your hands on the 3E Matrix book and confer with your GM ... but the closest you will probably get is having an insertion team tap into the LAN and setup a link but you would have to physically be at the other end of the link
« Last Edit: <02-12-20/2048:29> by Banshee »
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Clyax113_S._Xaces

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-12-20/2150:23> »
Beamcom is a direct tight beam connection method that is easily blocked and or intercepted and is not "wireless" aka cellular amd only allow communication between two specific transceivers and not from a RTG to a LAN ... same thing applies to Wavecom.

Best advice I can give you since that system is over 15 years out of date is get your hands on the 3E Matrix book and confer with your GM ... but the closest you will probably get is having an insertion team tap into the LAN and setup a link but you would have to physically be at the other end of the link
Got it.  Thanks.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <02-22-20/1721:09> »
Little late to the party, but the Matrix 3e book does have wireless rules for special wireless connection options.
However, you'll still need the book to fully understand all the equipment and software you need to do a wireless connection, and how the wireless connection affects all your matrix attributes and target numbers.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.