NEWS

Are Rikki Ratboy and Ricky the rat shaman the same shadowrunner?

• 12 Replies

grid10

• Newb
« on: <09-11-10/2335:53> »
I was just playing the Genesis version of Shadowrun and I was wondering if they are the same person?
Here a link to the characters in the Genesis game: http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Characters_in_Shadowrun_on_the_Sega

If it is the same person does this mean that the Shadowrun video games count as canon? And if they do count as canon, has there been any references to the video game's story in the Shadowrun rpg?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-12-10/0039:05> »
Going through the list of runners that post on Shadowland, there were a few Rikki's on the list, so it's not certain if they are the same person. As far as I know, the various video games are not considered canon for the setting.

Alyred

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-14-10/1928:10> »
Rikki Ratboy was used for a few examples in the sourcebooks to show how to crunch some numbers.  A success test for the stink spell in the (I think) original Shadowrun/Grimoire is one that comes to mind.

I certainly hope the games aren't considered canon.  MS's Shadowrun and the Shadowrun for the SNES were particularly terrible and divergent.

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-14-10/2014:21> »
 I just noticed that poor Rikki Ratboy's death is announced in Sprawl Survival Guide.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-15-10/0459:26> »
The SNES Shadowrun game was amazing!  But, erm, not terribly sensible from a Shadowrun point of view.

My understanding is that none of the Shadowrun video games are remotely canon.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <09-15-10/0809:23> »
The SNES version sure as frag isn't. Dog shaman with 'flexboosters, dermal armor, some other 'ware and still enough Magic to fry a dragon. Yeah, right ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-10/1712:04> »
I just noticed that poor Rikki Ratboy's death is announced in Sprawl Survival Guide.
Yeah, along with Nighthawk, Neon Antichrist, Warthog, Head Crash, Ricochet Rita, and Wedge.

Rikki, Rita, and Wedge were among my favorites. I loved Wedge most of all his quotes and his article. Only Shadowtalker I miss more is Hatchetman.

I remember Rikki being used as late as Magic in the Shadows in the magical group rules.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Texas_Tarantula

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-21-10/1119:46> »
To be fair, the Genesis version of the game was closer to the PnP game than the SNES version was. Granted, the rules for both the games were... inaccurate at best (and the Genesis version had the worst ending to a video game I've ever played through, dammit), but the SNES version did a fairly good job and the Genesis version had the basics of the setting down to a T.

Besides, if we're really going to bitch about Shadowrun, we all know which version deserves our ire the most - the recent FPS clusterfrag that has absolutely no connection to the game whatsoever.

A.A. Salati

« Reply #8 on: <10-25-10/1836:13> »
There's no defending it's accuracy. That's undeniable. However, when I had my wisdom teeth out as a teen, I crashed on the couch for three days straight playing SNES Shadowrun until I beat it. They were three of the happiest jello, pudding, and pain killer days of my youth. That game was a blast!

Bryan121

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <12-15-10/1441:50> »
Besides, if we're really going to bitch about Shadowrun, we all know which version deserves our ire the most - the recent FPS clusterfrag that has absolutely no connection to the game whatsoever.

Agreed I wonder who slept with who to get the rights for the name on that one.

Morg

« Reply #10 on: <01-15-11/1008:08> »
Rikki, Rita, and Wedge were among my favorites. I loved Wedge most of all his quotes and his article. Only Shadowtalker I miss more is Hatchetman.

Wasn't Rikki in one of the novels with Twist mentioned in passing when Sam was finally trying to learn what dog had to teach?

Side note can anyone confirm if Cyberzombie-Hatchetman was destroyed? If not I think that some of my older runners could use a fright

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <01-15-11/1013:52> »

Wasn't Rikki in one of the novels with Twist mentioned in passing when Sam was finally trying to learn what dog had to teach?

Side note can anyone confirm if Cyberzombie-Hatchetman was destroyed? If not I think that some of my older runners could use a fright
There's been no mention of whether Hatcheman's survived or not after his operation. The older runners usually speak as if he's gone, but that could just mean that they don't view what he's become as their friend anymore.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-16-11/1501:56> »
It is probable he survived (if you can call that survive) the procedure - the file he sent implies it - but IIRC he didn't try to resume contact with his pre-surgery friends and contacts so his whereabouts were unknown.

Keep in mind that after a few years of existence a cyberzombie tends to develop flaws and problems (see Arsenal p 158) that can quickly snowball into making him (it ?) unreliable and on it's way to oblivion, and that he went under the knife at a time the procedure was even less common (and probably less reliable) than in 2070, reducing his chances to have made it this far.