NEWS

[SR6] Spells Questions

• 9 Replies

Typhus

• Omae
« on: <07-30-19/1227:28> »
So, yes, I know folks are tied with NDAs.  However I was hoping some general questions could be spoken to without quoting rules or numbers.

In SR6W we know that the spells can incorporate elemental effects to create new outcomes, such as the cooling heal effect (cold+heal).  We also know that you can amp spells on the fly for more drain, such as +1 damage for +2 drain.

Is it generally true that elemental effects such as the cooling heal can be chosen on the fly as well?  Or would some effects need be pre-selected as part of the traditional spell formula idea?  For example, if I want to leave a fire trail behind me when I levitate away, can I just take another +2 to the drain or some such and yell "Flame on!"?  Or would I need to learn the formula with the element baked in?

Or do formulas even exist anymore in the world of modular spell design?

Again, any general answers that can speak in this direction are fine.  I know spell design is coming later, and I don't need specifics.  I haven't watched all of the SCN rules cast either, so maybe some of it's there?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-19/1229:15> »
Needs to be part of the formula.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-19/1246:04> »
So I would need to learn:
  • Heal
  • Warming Heal
  • Cooling Heal
  • etc
to be ready all potential contingencies.

Interesting. Thanks!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-19/1301:13> »
So I would need to learn:
  • Heal
  • Warming Heal
  • Cooling Heal
  • etc
to be ready all potential contingencies.

Interesting. Thanks!

Or learn Heal, and carry around a warm blanket and a fire extinguisher. :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-19/1310:51> »
I doubt any of these status effects are permanent or long term enough to make it a necessary to learn them all.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-30-19/1323:07> »
I doubt any of these status effects are permanent or long term enough to make it a necessary to learn them all.

That would certainly be a consideration.  However, with Heal spells now being instant cast (I gather), it could mean the difference between getting your street sam back in action in 1 turn vs 3 turns.  With how fast combat goes now, I think it could be something to consider.  For example, if 'Concussed' happened to be an effect that incaps a character fully, I would want a spell for clearing that.  However, if 'Frozen' just slows a character for a couple turns, maybe not so much.  The loss of a minor action isn't much to get more movement if you needed it.  Losing the ability to act or make attacks on the other hand is a game changer.  Lots of details for devils to hide in.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-30-19/1324:52> »
OTOH, there are certain statuses (like, oh, say, being on fire) that keep dealing damage. Be a shame to heal someone on fire just to see them keep burning next turn.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-30-19/1325:25> »
As I understands it, but I can be wrong, is that each spell now have a fixed drain (which behind the scenes depend on which 'modules' or 'components' the spell consists of) and if it for example have the 'Deal Physical Damage' component then you can also increase the damage by using amp up for a cost of +1 DV for +2 Drain. If a spell for example also have the 'AoE' component then the fixed base drain of the spell will be higher but you would now deal physical damage to all targets within a 2m radius. Since the spell have the AoE component you can also use amp up to increase radius of the spell by +1m for a cost of +2 Drain.

Even though they use similar components the spell that only dealt Physical Damage to a single target would still be considered to be a completely different spell than the spell that dealt physical damage to an AoE and that they need to be learned separately.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-30-19/1347:49> »

That would certainly be a consideration.  However, with Heal spells now being instant cast (I gather), it could mean the difference between getting your street sam back in action in 1 turn vs 3 turns.  With how fast combat goes now, I think it could be something to consider.  For example, if 'Concussed' happened to be an effect that incaps a character fully, I would want a spell for clearing that.  However, if 'Frozen' just slows a character for a couple turns, maybe not so much.  The loss of a minor action isn't much to get more movement if you needed it.  Losing the ability to act or make attacks on the other hand is a game changer.  Lots of details for devils to hide in.

I suspect they are fairly minor as they are add ons to damaging attacks. Nice to have for when it comes up but worth the karma to cover all the bases probably not until quite a few karma in to the campaign.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-30-19/1356:49> »
OTOH, there are certain statuses (like, oh, say, being on fire) that keep dealing damage. Be a shame to heal someone on fire just to see them keep burning next turn.

Exactly.  I'm guessing some effects would be higher priority to address, and worth a second spell pick.  Especially if the GM happens to enjoy lighting characters on fire.  :D