NEWS

3 Very Specific Game Questions

• 4 Replies

Nightmares_Aria

• Newb
« on: <06-15-19/1850:15> »
Hi there.

Okay, first of all a disclaimer: I do not play Shadowrun, though I wish I did. My brother does and he is in prison and thus cannot ask these questions himself. So, I am his proxy. I will not be able to add any additional information on these questions so please, just answer to best of your knowledge.

1. Do characters caught in the blast of a grenade/rocket/indirect combat spell get a defense test (reaction intuition)? The rules aren't really clear. The attacker only has to get 3 successes to get the grenade etc where he wants it, what good would the defense test do? (his words, not mine)

2. If a Mystic Adept raises his magic rating after character creation, does he get a power point like an Adept or does he have to pay 5 karma for it like in character creation? Or is the only way he can get more power points is through initiation?

3. If I create a Human Mage with a magic 6 who is a vampire at character creation, what is his starting Essence and magic? The rules in Run Faster are not really clear.

Okay, if anyone can help with any of the questions he and I would be most grateful. I will also try to search for them but like I said...I know nothing.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-19/1902:28> »
1 - no defense tests for grenades etc. you go straight to soaking the damage.

2 - Mystic Adepts can only get power points after character creation by choosing the Power point at initiation. Raising Magic Rating does not give Mystic Adepts any power points.

3 - at creation the essence and magic would be essence 6 and magic at whatever priority decides it to be.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-19/1907:36> »
Pixel is right, although on point #1 it hasn't been officially erratad yet.

Also, your brother should be made aware that there's a "Run for your life" interrupt action to get out of the aoe before taking damage.  (This action is given in an expansion.rulebook called Run and Gun)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-16-19/1354:16> »
Hi there.

Okay, first of all a disclaimer: I do not play Shadowrun, though I wish I did. My brother does and he is in prison and thus cannot ask these questions himself. So, I am his proxy. I will not be able to add any additional information on these questions so please, just answer to best of your knowledge.

1. Do characters caught in the blast of a grenade/rocket/indirect combat spell get a defense test (reaction intuition)? The rules aren't really clear. The attacker only has to get 3 successes to get the grenade etc where he wants it, what good would the defense test do? (his words, not mine)

2. If a Mystic Adept raises his magic rating after character creation, does he get a power point like an Adept or does he have to pay 5 karma for it like in character creation? Or is the only way he can get more power points is through initiation?

3. If I create a Human Mage with a magic 6 who is a vampire at character creation, what is his starting Essence and magic? The rules in Run Faster are not really clear.

Okay, if anyone can help with any of the questions he and I would be most grateful. I will also try to search for them but like I said...I know nothing.
1: By writer clarification, the dodge modifier mentioned is wrong and there's no defense test possible. However, as SSDR mentions, there's a -5 Initiative Action that lets you get out of the way of area effects. Note that you take the action before scatter happens, so you might accidentally run straight into the thing.

2: In Core, it mentions that normal Adepts get Power Points and that both Mystic and Adept can get them through an initiation. So without houserules, a Mystic Adept cannot buy extra PP for karma and does not get them through Magic increases.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Nightmares_Aria

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-20-19/1558:34> »
Thank you all. I'll report what has been said to him this weekend. Really, it'll mean a lot to get these questions answered!