NEWS

Paragon trait interacting with Sprites

• 3 Replies

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-08-11/2302:23> »
So one of the players in my game is a technomancer, as some of you may be aware by other posts of mine. He has the Paragon trait, and took Zero-One, so he gets +1 to compile and register sprites, but he has to spend 2 edge to negate a glitch.

So here's the skinny. He has a sprite perform an action, and it glitches. Now, I think the sprite should have to spend 2 edge to negate the glitch, while the player insists it doesn't. To me, this sounds like an easy cheat. He gets a bonus to all his compiling and registering tests, then just uses the sprites to do most of his actions, so his chances to run into the edge problem is seriously reduced.

The way I figure it, The technomancer is a follower of Zero-One, and then creates the sprite from the resonance, who is a follower of him. Ergo, the sprite would also follow Zero-One by proxy. Am I right, or has the player found an easy way to circumvent his disadvantage?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <02-08-11/2311:38> »
I'd play it that way. Since he registered the sprite (and most likely is making the dice rolls for it), I'd apply Zero-One to it as well as him. It sounds like a loophole that he's trying to exploit to get all the benefits and ignore the penalties.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <02-08-11/2313:42> »
There are no hard and fast rules on this one, Ryo.

If you feel he's getting too much of an advantage (remember, he could glitch on compiling that sprite, and he can't always use his sprites), then remind him that you are the GM and that, in your view, any Sprite compiled by a technomancer in service to a paragon compiles a sprite which is also in service to that same paragon (and therefore gains the same advantages and disadvantages).

It's your game, you're the GM, you tell him how it works.

He doesn't dodge with his sprites, nor resist damage, etc. So yeah, he can avoid some of the problems via sprites under a strict interpretation of the rules, but not all of them. So, if he really gets under your skin, shoot that technomancer. With a Colt 1911, they're not smart-linked.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #3 on: <02-08-11/2355:41> »
@Ryo
You think that is a loophole or cheat!?
You'd better watch out! The real cheat is to combine it with the sprite power "Stability" (see SR4A, p. 243), in that case he can't glitch and doesn't have to pay anything. And a crafty little cheater will try to use it on his Persona "Icon", which means: on himself. And on top of it, he will link (see Linking, Unwired, p. 154) a Machine Sprite rating 1 to his PI, and never has the problem ever again (for 256 days).
Same thing only different actor happens with long-term binding of a rating 1 spirit with "Guard" power. Only that this power effects ALL plains (physical, astral and matrix) and is even longer in use. But for such a cheat a 01-TM has to negotiate with a mage...