NEWS

Matrix basics

• 11 Replies

Xicidis

• Newb
« on: <02-04-11/2319:50> »
Hacker

Building with 3 rooms, cameras, computers, front door electronically locked

How do you hack into the door to open it, then transfer to the cameras?
Do you go to the main node, then find the door, or start at the door, then move to the main node, then to the camera. 
Then once you're in do you try to get admin privs then tell the door to open, or do you spoof the connection, and make it think it's supposed to be open?
If you're in the door, and you transfer to the main node, then to the cameras do you have to break into each segment or?
Or am I wrong about the node setup and the node is the wireless network and the door and the cameras are just segments in the node with icons. 

Morg

« Reply #1 on: <02-05-11/0151:35> »
Quote from: Unwired pg 48 subheading Nodes
Every computerize device able to execute programs and instructions is a node They provide the raw processing power of the global network and are the places of the Matrix...There are three general categories of nodes: peripheral nodes, standard nodes, and nexi

The cameras and door are peripheral nodes and the "computers" are ether a comlink (standard node) or a nexus(nexi)
Peripheral nodes are normally linked to a standard node or a nexi to facilitate operation as peripheral nodes tend to have need of the additional processing power & signal range they can be linked wirelessly (most common) or wired via an optical cable

So as a Hacker would start at a wireless node in the topography with the weakest firewall. if it is a wired system it could be a closed circuit system if so normal methods of hacking become unusable as you must now get a fiber optic wiretap to start the hack unless the fiber optic wired peripheral nodes (camera and door) are wired to a wirless node (comlink/nexi hooked up to the matrix)
« Last Edit: <02-05-11/0222:08> by Morg »

CyberNed

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-11/0208:42> »
I'm pretty new here myself, but I want to test my hacker-fu a little so...

I'll start by answering the last question first. AFAIK (God, I hate that acronym for some reason...) a node is pretty much analogous to a modern-day network. That is, multiple computers, peripherals and so on slaved to one main hub. Therefore, the answer would be yes, the node is the entire wireless network in most situations.

For the other questions, it mainly sounds like a question of account access. Basically, once you have access to a node, you can perform any action you wish, assuming that that action is permissible to accounts of the appropriate level.

For example: opening the front door. Assuming that most people who have business at this building have at least a user account on the node, a hacked user account might be sufficient to open said door. However user accounts might not be able to perform this action on certain days, or at certain times. (The system recognizes that the account type is not authorized to enter the building after normal working hours...) That might require a security or admin account.

Really, once you've hacked a system, it all boils down to the account type you have. If your hacker manages to finagle herself a security account, she could probably access all the cameras in the building without ever stepping foot inside. (Or possibly even leaving her living room!) There's no real need to 'transfer' oneself to other portions of a node to accomplish actions, although Matrix Perception tests might be in order to identify the proper devices to manipulate.

Now, as far as spoofing goes, I'm not sure that would work for opening a door. AFAIK (arrrgh!) Spoofing only works for peripherals that recieve their instructions from an external wireless source. Things like a drone, a smartgun, or a food processor. A door seems like it might be connected via hardwire to the main computer system, and would require actual access to the node. Or it might not be connected to the main system at all, and might just have a straight up plain old maglock on it. No node access whatsoever will grant you access through that door unless someone physically accesses the maglock and overcomes it.

Anyways, that's my 2¥. Hope it helps and if someone more experienced (and possibly sober) has any input, then they're probably right.

P.S. Offhand, anyone know the ascii code for the yen symbol? I'm too lazy to look it up online.

Edit: ACK! Ninja'd! Still, I'm stickin' to my story and pretending I posted first!

Er... Second... Cause Xicidis posted first...

Okay I be quiet now...
« Last Edit: <02-05-11/0229:20> by CyberNed »
"Hi, I'm TV's Cyberned. You might remember me from such Exciting shadowruns as 'BTL? WTF!' and 'One, Two, Three, Four, I Declare a Gang War'...

Morg

« Reply #3 on: <02-05-11/0219:30> »
Ninja says code is alt numpad 157 for ¥

CyberNed

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-11/0227:14> »
*Reverent bow followed by kick to kidneys and swift decapitation*

Just following the ninja code of honor  ;D

P.S. Thanks
"Hi, I'm TV's Cyberned. You might remember me from such Exciting shadowruns as 'BTL? WTF!' and 'One, Two, Three, Four, I Declare a Gang War'...

Morg

« Reply #5 on: <02-05-11/0244:36> »
Cyberzombie Ninja says "My humble apologies but I have Immunity to normal weapons 12" Cyberzombie Ninja unleashes torrent of implanted cybernetic shuriken throwing devices and loses 157 kg of mass because of the number of thrown dikoted shuriken

p.s. when I am not GMing I really do play a cyberzombie ninja named metaru arashi (Metal Storm)
« Last Edit: <02-05-11/0250:26> by Morg »

Xicidis

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-11/0428:20> »
Do you have to have a maglock passkey or can you connect to the maglock directly? Because it seems like if you don't have a key card or passkey then youre going to use some c4. Maybe I'm just limited in my imagination lol.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-11/0936:55> »
First off, good answers all!

Now, as long as a peripheral has a wireless connection, it can be hacked/spoofed. If it doesn't have a wireless connection, you either have to find the point it is wired to and hook into that node, or forget hacking and go physical on the object.

Hacking involves breaking into the code with raw force and creating an account it will recognize. Spoofing is convincing the security that you're someone else. Let's take a look at how some hackers get into the secure door:

Slamm-0! - Intuition 5, Edge 3, Response 5, Hacking 5, Exploit Program R4, Stealth Program R6
Netcat - Intuition 6, Response 4, Hacking 6, Exploit Complex Form R3, Stealth Complex Form R5
Bung - Intuition 4, Response 6, Hacking 4, Spoof Program R5

Slamm-0! is in a hurry, after the guards stumbled upon him stealing the plans for the newest BUZZ!BLITZ drink recipe, he needs to get out of the building. He lost them at the last intersection, but he knows he's only got a little time before they catch up. The only thing standing between him and freedom is a R5 Security door. He leans against the wall, slips into VR (Hot Sim) and gets to work:
     He won initiative against the door, so he goes first:
       Slamm-0! - Hacking on the fly (10d6.hits(5)=5)
       Door - Analyze roll (10d6.hits(5)=3)
     Slamm-0! is through the door, and his Stealth program allowed him to get through unnoticed. Now, off to collect his fee and then, to the store for the pickles and ice cream.

Netcat is planning a visit to the Aztechnology pyramid for some "business" during regular hours. Since she has the time and doesn't want to be hassled by anyone, she works on creating a backdoor to the security system, allowing her Admin access to all doors and security. The Azzies have a R6 security rating for the area she's visiting, so it a little tough, but manageable.
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 15 successes needed, 1 day
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=0) - 15 successes needed, 2 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 12 successes needed, 3 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 9 successes needed, 4 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 6 successes needed, 5 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=2) - 4 successes needed, 6 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=4) - Success! 7 days total
     Now, she's got her account. When she gets to the pyramid and tries to use it the first time, the system checks it out (only on the first access attempt):
       Security test against Stealth (12d6.hits(5)=2)
     Her Stealth complex form held up to the scrutiny of the system's security, so she's got free access to the area.

Bung is checking in on his pal Deadbeat since he hasn't heard from him in a few weeks. Deadbeat's apartment has a R4 security door and bung doesn't have the code to the door. Fortunately, he's got Deadbeat's Access ID saved from the other times he's had to check up on him, so he can try and spoof the door into thinking he's Deadbeat:
       Bung - Hacking + Spoof (9d6.hits(5)=3)
       Door - System + Firewall (8d6.hits(5)=2)
     Bung's attempt succeeds and he's in. The brief success is marred, however, by the sight of his old friend lying dead on the floor, a bullet to the back of his head. Someone's gonna pay for this, he promises Deadbeat.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #8 on: <02-05-11/1212:19> »
First off, good answers all!

Now, as long as a peripheral has a wireless connection, it can be hacked/spoofed. If it doesn't have a wireless connection, you either have to find the point it is wired to and hook into that node, or forget hacking and go physical on the object.

Hacking involves breaking into the code with raw force and creating an account it will recognize. Spoofing is convincing the security that you're someone else. Let's take a look at how some hackers get into the secure door:

Slamm-0! - Intuition 5, Edge 3, Response 5, Hacking 5, Exploit Program R4, Stealth Program R6
Netcat - Intuition 6, Response 4, Hacking 6, Exploit Complex Form R3, Stealth Complex Form R5
Bung - Intuition 4, Response 6, Hacking 4, Spoof Program R5

Slamm-0! is in a hurry, after the guards stumbled upon him stealing the plans for the newest BUZZ!BLITZ drink recipe, he needs to get out of the building. He lost them at the last intersection, but he knows he's only got a little time before they catch up. The only thing standing between him and freedom is a R5 Security door. He leans against the wall, slips into VR (Hot Sim) and gets to work:
     He won initiative against the door, so he goes first:
       Slamm-0! - Hacking on the fly (10d6.hits(5)=5)
       Door - Analyze roll (10d6.hits(5)=3)
     Slamm-0! is through the door, and his Stealth program allowed him to get through unnoticed. Now, off to collect his fee and then, to the store for the pickles and ice cream.

Netcat is planning a visit to the Aztechnology pyramid for some "business" during regular hours. Since she has the time and doesn't want to be hassled by anyone, she works on creating a backdoor to the security system, allowing her Admin access to all doors and security. The Azzies have a R6 security rating for the area she's visiting, so it a little tough, but manageable.
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 15 successes needed, 1 day
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=0) - 15 successes needed, 2 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 12 successes needed, 3 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 9 successes needed, 4 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=3) - 6 successes needed, 5 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=2) - 4 successes needed, 6 days
       Probing Extended Test (9d6.hits(5)=4) - Success! 7 days total
     Now, she's got her account. When she gets to the pyramid and tries to use it the first time, the system checks it out (only on the first access attempt):
       Security test against Stealth (12d6.hits(5)=2)
     Her Stealth complex form held up to the scrutiny of the system's security, so she's got free access to the area.

Bung is checking in on his pal Deadbeat since he hasn't heard from him in a few weeks. Deadbeat's apartment has a R4 security door and bung doesn't have the code to the door. Fortunately, he's got Deadbeat's Access ID saved from the other times he's had to check up on him, so he can try and spoof the door into thinking he's Deadbeat:
       Bung - Hacking + Spoof (9d6.hits(5)=3)
       Door - System + Firewall (8d6.hits(5)=2)
     Bung's attempt succeeds and he's in. The brief success is marred, however, by the sight of his old friend lying dead on the floor, a bullet to the back of his head. Someone's gonna pay for this, he promises Deadbeat.
ok so this really explained to me alittle better how hacking works but couldn't someone just get a security account and control the doors and cameras etc like a spider?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <02-05-11/1315:38> »
ok so this really explained to me alittle better how hacking works but couldn't someone just get a security account and control the doors and cameras etc like a spider?
That's what you're doing when you're Hacking. You get into the system and create a security account to control everything on the node.

Think of it this way: With Hacking, you're creating a fake badge to get in. With Spoofing, you stole the badge off some poor SOB.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #10 on: <02-05-11/1322:45> »
That's what you're doing when you're Hacking. You get into the system and create a security account to control everything on the node.

Think of it this way: With Hacking, you're creating a fake badge to get in. With Spoofing, you stole the badge off some poor SOB.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok, so what is the incentive to get admin access?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <02-05-11/1325:30> »

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok, so what is the incentive to get admin access?
You can then create and erase other accounts on the fly. I.E., all your chummers have Sec level accounts and all the SecGuards no longer are recognized by the system.