NEWS

cyber limbs question regarding character creation

• 37 Replies

Shadowstep

• Newb
« on: <02-04-11/0402:03> »
I just want to make sure I have the rule down right.

You can buy a customized cyber limb at the start of the game with: 5 STR, 6 AGI and 6 Body (assuming ur human) since the avail is BASE 4 and you add 2 STR, 3 AGI and 3 BODY for +8 Avail.
Then using enhancements you can add +4 to  those Stats (provided you have the capacity), since they have individual availabilities of Rate x 3R. Ending up with 9 STR 10 AGI 10 BODY on your limb.

Assuming you only add 1 Limb would you determine your "total weighted stats" (when you need it) based on (LIMB + MEAT x 5)/6 ?

What happens if you have Armor 2 (Ratex4) on your Limb? Do you end up with 2 more total armor? (IE 8/6=6/4 (Armor Vest )+2/2).
What if you have 4 Limbs each with Armor 2. Would you have +8/8 armor? (IE: 14/12 = 6/4 (Armor Vest) + 8/8)
Say you add in a Body and Head each with 2 Armor does it go up to +12/12?
Then you put on a helmet for +2/2 more and a Full Body suit for 6/2 more?
Does this all stack? If so, using a lowly Armor Vest and Armor 2 (instead of 4) you end up with 26/20 = 6/4+6/2+12/12+2/2.
Seems like it's getting to be too much...

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-11/0414:44> »
Assuming you only add 1 Limb would you determine your "total weighted stats" (when you need it) based on (LIMB + MEAT x 5)/6 ?
Me personally I only calculate Torso,2 Arms and 2 Legs for the Average of the attributes
A)its easier to Calculate (Divide by 5)
B) ImO its nonsense to Calculate the Attributes of the Head

What happens if you have Armor 2 (Ratex4) on your Limb? Do you end up with 2 more total armor? (IE 8/6=6/4 (Armor Vest )+2/2).
Exactly  :D

What if you have 4 Limbs each with Armor 2. Would you have +8/8 armor? (IE: 14/12 = 6/4 (Armor Vest) + 8/8)
Say you add in a Body and Head each with 2 Armor does it go up to +12/12?
Then you put on a helmet for +2/2 more and a Full Body suit for 6/2 more?
Does this all stack? If so, using a lowly Armor Vest and Armor 2 (instead of 4) you end up with 26/20 = 6/4+6/2+12/12+2/2.

Yes,Yes,Yes & Yes...  oh and Yes

with affirmative Dance
medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Shadowstep

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-04-11/0419:54> »
Me personally I only calculate Torso,2 Arms and 2 Legs for the Average of the attributes
A)its easier to Calculate (Divide by 5)
B) ImO its nonsense to Calculate the Attributes of the Head

I went with Arms (2), Legs (2), Body (1), BASE (1).

Using the 5 part system...a person with 1 BODY, 1 STR, 1 AGI and 2 cyber arms, 2 cyber legs and a cyber torso would not be affected by his BASE stats, since he replaced everything. His torso though is just a container...so shouldn't his BASE attributes matter in some albeit small way?

Shadowstep

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-11/0422:44> »

I guess the last question is WHAT THE FREK do you do to hurt someone with 26/20...I don't see how even a bad ass weapon would hurt that let alone someone with 10-13 body on top of that.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-11/0501:56> »
You can buy a customized cyber limb at the start of the game with: 5 STR, 6 AGI and 6 Body (assuming ur human) since the avail is BASE 4 and you add 2 STR, 3 AGI and 3 BODY for +8 Avail.
Then using enhancements you can add +4 to  those Stats (provided you have the capacity), since they have individual availabilities of Rate x 3R. Ending up with 9 STR 10 AGI 10 BODY on your limb.
You can only add +3 as an enchament if you dont have a cyber torso, also human's augmented attribute max is 9.

I guess the last question is WHAT THE FREK do you do to hurt someone with 26/20...I don't see how even a bad ass weapon would hurt that let alone someone with 10-13 body on top of that.
Magic,Toxins,S&S ammo,Taser
Or if you just want kill him, a  gauss rifle.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-11/0516:06> »
Hacking him it is very difficult but if you get him, he is D.E.D.! (sound bite the Gamers 8))

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-11/0518:32> »

I went with Arms (2), Legs (2), Body (1), BASE (1).

Using the 5 part system...a person with 1 BODY, 1 STR, 1 AGI and 2 cyber arms, 2 cyber legs and a cyber torso would not be affected by his BASE stats, since he replaced everything. His torso though is just a container...so shouldn't his BASE attributes matter in some albeit small way?
The Base BOD is still in Use for Toxins,Neurostun,Narcoject,etc.his AGI and STR are totally replaced (no original Muscles anymore)
And No, the Base wouldn't be used for calculating the Average only the cybered Stats

with a cyberd up Dance
Medicineman

Shadowstep

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-04-11/0533:32> »
Quote from: Shadowstep on Today at 04:02:03 AM

You can only add +3 as an enchament if you dont have a cyber torso, also human's augmented attribute max is 9.

1) Regarding the +3 limit on enhancement seems to only be for Standard Cyberlimbs not Customized ones.
"" On standard cyberlimbs, a cybertorso is required to have cyberlimb enhancements with a rating higher than 3."" (SR4A 343)

2) Ah it seems I found something covering Cyberlimbs being subject to a Augmented max. I must have missed it before.

"Increases above the natural attribute maximum and up to the augmented maximum must be handled as cyberlimb enhancements, with the standard Capacity and nuyen costs (Cyberlimb Enhancements, p. 344)"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <02-04-11/0820:34> »
The quick and the dirty:

Standard Cyberlimbs: These are the base "off-the-rack" model that anyone can use. They come with all Attributes set to 3 and the only way to raise the Attributes is by putting on enhancements.

Customized Cyberlimbs: These are tailored to the customer. You begin with whatever Attribute scores you want in the limbs, up to your natural/unaugmented maximum, paying only extra cred/Availability for scores above 3. If you go above your natural maximum, then you have to add Enhancements to raise the Attribute (up to a maximum of your augmented max).

Shadowstep

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-04-11/1112:26> »
So are Standard Limbs subject to the Augmented Maximums as well? I ask b.c. one of our players says he could only find the rule stating it, under customized limbs. He seems to think that if you go with a 3/3/3 you can (availability permitting) reach a 10 via a rank 7 enhancement as a human even though you augmented max is 9.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <02-04-11/1137:39> »
Augmented Maximums apply to ALL Cyberware, Bioware, Nanotech and Genetech. They are a brick wall you cannot get around. ;)

Edit: I should point out that the Exceptional Attribute Positive Quality does increase the character's natural maximum (and, by extension, their augmented maximum) for the chosen attribute. So your player could get all that up to 10, if he buys all three attributes with the Exc. Att quality, but that is frowned upon by most GM's (especially since that means spending 60 BPs).

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-04-11/1228:38> »
If someone is investing that many BP's in such a narrow niche, I would, as a GM, discourage them from doing so.  Not because "it's broken" or any such thing (it's not), but because that many points might hamper their character until they actually could take advantage of the new maximum.

It's a question of over-specialization, which can be a dangerous road to travel.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-04-11/1251:53> »
I should point out that the Exceptional Attribute Positive Quality does increase the character's natural maximum
So does Genetic Optimisation which is wahay cheaper (in BP)  ;)

but...I think we're dancing away from the topic :)

with a cheaper Dance
Medicineman

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <02-04-11/1312:26> »
I should point out that the Exceptional Attribute Positive Quality does increase the character's natural maximum
So does Genetic Optimisation which is wahay cheaper (in BP)  ;)

but...I think we're dancing away from the topic :)

with a cheaper Dance
Medicineman
Thank you for putting the mental image of a troll with Exc. Att and GenOp (Str) in my head, allowing him to get to an 18 Str.

Oh, and my players thank you as well. ;)

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #14 on: <02-04-11/1322:18> »
I'll make up some examples of how the numbers play out, using the Street Samurai (SR4A, 110) as our test dummy.

This sammy has Body 4, Agility 5, Strength 5. She has two obvious custom cyberarms (each built with B4/A5/S5), both with Armor 2, Enhanced Agility 3, Enhanced Strength 2.

On any tasks that use just her arms (say, shooting a gun, or hanging on to something), her Agility is 8 and Strength is 7. On something that doesn't involve arms at all (say, running), she uses her base stats: Agility 5, Strength 5. If she tries something that involves all her limbs (like climbing or lifting something), she uses the average: Agility would be ((8+8+5+5)/4) = 6.5, rounded down to 6. Strength would be ((7+7+5+5)/4) = 6.

In cases where it's not terribly obvious whether her legs are really important, I would say to opt in favor of the character -- for example, swordfighting should use every part of the body, but that would work against the character who didn't opt for full replacements, and make melee attacks inferior to gunplay for this sort of sammy.

If, later on, the sammy wanted to improve the enhancements in her left arm (the right arm's full), she could not buy more than 1 in Strength or 3 in Body without also getting a cybertorso (required to get an enhancement of +4 or more). If she did this, she could get up to 1 Agility, 2 Strength, or 4 Body. Any higher would put her over her augmented maximum of 9, which is one of those "no you can't" areas.

Hope this clears everything up.

Situations can also change this. Hauling something off the floor would obviously use all the limbs (even if you lift with your back, your legs still need to support the weight) would call on the average; lifting up a teammate who's dangling off the side of a cliff (where the sammy is lying down, holding the poor schlub with one hand) would just involve the arm in question.

Two cyberlimbs would add 2 boxes to her Physical Condition Monitor (Stun would be unaffected). The limbs' 2 points of armor would stack with any worn armor, giving her 4/4 armor by default. With an armor vest (6/4), her armor would be 10/8.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/