NEWS

Trigger Talk

• 428 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« on: <09-11-10/0917:29> »
OK Chumms, what say you we get to talking about one of my favorite subjects: GUNS.

No runner; be you Street Sam, merc, or spellslinger should be without one. So what is your favorite one(s), or what do you pack, and why? Power, style, or the fact you just dont have the yen for anything else. Let us know what you like and why.

And anyone else out there have a custome piece they want to share with the class? Show it here.

So to get the ball rolling.

Let me begin with my favorite handgun (s).

As a rule of thumb, I always have a side arm of some kind on me, and I don't bother with anything small. Call me crazy, but I have had a love affair with Ares Predators ever sense I started out in the biz. Ever since I got the origional model, I've kept the lastest generation of the line in my gunlocker, all the way to the current Pred IV. Reliable and tough, it will get the attention of anyone you're pointing it at. Even he origional is just as good in a fight today as it was many years ago, even without the bells and whistles like smartlink. When I'm working, it's my primary sidearm every time. Load it out with some APDS and you have a solid backup weapon or a great primary defensive weapon. In my opinion, it is the 1911 of it's day.

That being said, I also keep handy my father's old Warhawk handy. It's big, loud, and puts big holls in things. My dad kept it as his primary handgun for years until his death. I've only seen him use it once, and the way he pulled it and put a round into beetled out troll's head in just shy of a heartbeat still leaves me in awe to this day. And while the limited amount of ammo is somewhat of a disadvantage, the sheer damage potential is sometimes too good to pass up especially against big and or armored opponents. I have also found that because it's a revolver, the Warhawk good for quick loading "specialty" rounds on the fly, much like one can with a pump action shotgun shell.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-10/1123:31> »
I've had many favorites through the years.

For the sociable faces, I like the Morrissey Élan, the Colt America light pistol for spellslingers/hackers, and the Manhunter for the sammies (sure, it doesn't fire as many rounds as the Predator, but that one point of recoil compensation can make the difference). If the runner's gotta be in the spotlight, they're carrying a Savalette Guardian, because it has form AND function. Usually the sammie will also have either an Ingram Smartgun or a Mossberg auto-shotgun for firefight situations. Snipers tend to carry the Walther MA-2100, just out of personal reliability. And, of course, the big troll gunner's always packin' a Panther.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-10/1141:33> »
Honestly, that totally depends on the character:

A pretty green punk might buy any 5th hand gun as long as it looks like a real one. A professional killer might use any gun that is suitable for the job without preferences (because preferences would could lead to a profile and a profile could lead to death). A freaky adept might only used heavily customized version of a specific czech gun from a specific dwarfen gunsmith. An ork ganger might prefer guns that are big and loud. A Norm who just ended up in the Shadows might love the Predator, because it was mentioned so often in the latest Spy-Flick as a great and relieable weapon. An ex-soldier might prefer a dart-gun because he doesn't want a murder charge. etc.etc.etc.

As a player, I don't have any favorite weapon. Totaly depends on the characters, everything is possible.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #3 on: <09-12-10/2034:59> »
A custom pair of Deputies. Custom grips, improved cylinder, and freshly polished. Goes with my theme of a the wild west. Sure they don't have all the bells of the new guys but you show them to a ganger and pants will be full of shit. Its got a classic feel to them. Plus when you walk into a bar and they see six....eight shooters and hear spurs its mighty great.
"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

gruegirl

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-13-10/0017:01> »
I'm playing a Gnome Shaman, with a SPAS-22. At least that was what she had until it was confiscated for evidence. It's not likely to be gotten back anytime soon.

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #5 on: <09-13-10/1146:40> »
I'm playing a Gnome Shaman, with a SPAS-22. At least that was what she had until it was confiscated for evidence. It's not likely to be gotten back anytime soon.
Make sure you don't leave any evidence when they took it did you??
"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #6 on: <09-13-10/1203:19> »
Well right now my ownly slug thrower is an Ares Auto Cannon. Cause with Usda's size and mass he can deliver the very best. Or at least the best he could get. No seriously, We have a Sniper & a wildly over gunned Face. Then we have my daughters S&M (monofiber totin') Drow Elf. I had to have something that really was able to say, "Hello!" in every language! ;D :-*
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-13-10/1527:50> »
So many guns...

So.  Much.  LOVE.

My personal favorite at the moment is the Nitama Optimum II modified with GV2, electronic firing mechanism, endoscope, trigger removal, skinlink, and melee hardening.  The weapon uses AP ammo as standard in the rifle barrel, and Shock Lock rounds in the underbarrel shotgun (for breaching).

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Auto-Assault 16 shotgun and modifying it for HV, extending the drum magazine, adding a smartlink and skinlink, and adding a sling/foregrip to that weapon as well.  Shock Lock rounds seem the sensible choice here, also.  Keeping a couple of drums of flechette seems prudent.  Since it already uses a drum, increasing the capacity with a standard extension seems reasonable.

Lastly, converting the Ares Vigorous Assault Cannon to full auto, installing smartlink and skinlink, and belt feeding it while mounting it on a gyromount seemed like a good idea.  Using AV cannon ammunition seemed like a prudent choice.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #8 on: <09-13-10/2102:40> »
I just knew that when I read the topic was "Trigger Talk" that The_Gun_Nut would have a post that read like an example from the customization chapter of Arsenal. LOL

Personally for a non gun loving character I usually choose a Manhunter, but for my gun bunnies a full suite of heavily mod customs is the norm. My players hated it when I got Arsenal.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: <09-13-10/2131:39> »

When I do use a shotgun, I also prefer the SPAS. I generally do not use buckshot, I prefer the knockdown power of slugs. Combine that with the burst fire option, and you have an excellent takedown weapon for foes of all sizes and an excellent CQB weapon...kicks like a cybered mule though so make sure you have sufficient recoil comp.

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <09-14-10/0040:38> »

Did you use that as weapon, or as a means to move away from the enemy really fast? ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: <09-14-10/0814:27> »

Did you use that as weapon, or as a means to move away from the enemy really fast? ;D

Plus or minus the roller-blades?

8)

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-14-10/0915:43> »
I desperately, desperately want a high velocity Barrett Model 121 (Firing Modification - Large and High Velocity). Sure, you probably want to accessorise with Gas Vent III and a Gyro-Mount, but it's basically hilarious.  Especially with APDS ammo - firing from surprise (as it's a sniper rifle you can do this from quite a long way away) you get up to 20P damage with -8AP before successes.  Brilliant.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-14-10/1207:17> »
Weapons can only take so many modifications.  Since only fully automatic weapons can be converted to HV, one has to modify the Barret to full auto first (taking 4 of 6 "slots"), then modify it for HV (taking the remaining 2 slots).  By doing this, it is not really a sniper rifle, and is now a HMG.

Which, of course, references a previous gripe I had with the damage codes of both the sniper rifle and HMG.  It makes no sense that the sniper rifle does more damage than an HMG with a longer barrel and the same ammunition.  Weapon accuracy is represented by both the range of the weapon and the proficiency of the shooter, it shouldn't get "bonus damage" simply by virtue of being a sniper rifle.  For example, the Browning M2 has comparable range to many modern sniper rifles, and comparable accuracy.

Bumping the HMG damage up a point or two or dropping the sniper rifle down a point makes more sense, and it avoids ridiculous situations like the one mentioned, where someone makes a Vulcan cannon out of a single shot precision weapon.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <09-14-10/1252:56> »
Rule of cool? Nah, doesn't really apply...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100