NEWS

Sixth World Retro

• 26 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« on: <01-22-11/0114:09> »
Ya know, I had a few minutes here at work to myself (a rarity of late) and was listening to a local radio station playing "Big 80's Friday". And it got me thinking, sense the sixth world is for all intents and purposes an alternate reality of our own time that diverged sometime near the early 1990s; what "retro" stuff do you use in your games?

I mean, there have been some neat stuff in pop culture in the 20+ years SR has been around. Did Nirvana ever hit it big? Did "reality" TV ever truly take off? Did video (or in this case tridio) REALLY kill the radio star????

And have you ever had a character that used a lot of pop culture that happened between the 90's and "today" in an SR game?

In short, what do you maniacs out there consider or include to be "retro" in YOUR sixth world?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <01-22-11/0126:00> »
Madonna UGE'd into a 8' tall troll. ;D

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-22-11/0150:26> »
Hehe, Madonna, hehe, troll, hehe.

I generally consider anything that's mindless/soul-sapping/please-the-largest-common-denominator as having made it through.

Reality TV...hell yeah, look at Urban Brawl and other 'runner-oriented TV coming from Horizon (among others).

Hannah Montana/Mily Cyrus, anyone from American Idol, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, yeah, they're all there under false names so as to not infringe or risk libel/slander.

The less I have to make up as a GM the better, so defaulting to real-world, even though the timeline split in early 90's, helps.

I've been meaning to do a Top Artist/TV Shows/Movies from 2010 - 2072, (using Shadowbeat to fill in the 50's) but just haven't gotten around to it...when I do...look for it in fan fiction :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <01-22-11/0507:29> »
Madonna UGE'd into a 8' tall troll. ;D

I'm never going to be able to listen to a Madonna song the same way again...or maybe I WILL listen, just to laugh at that mental image.

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kid Chameleon

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-22-11/0914:18> »
Living in a metahuman world
And I am a metahuman girl
You know that we are living in a metahuman world

Some trolls bite, some trolls fight
That's part of my race
If they can't bruise me then I
Have to break their face

Some trolls shoot and some trolls scoot but
I don't see them hon
Only trolls who carry a Panther
Avoid my smartgun, 'cause they are

Living in a metahuman world
You know that we are living in a metahuman world

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <01-22-11/1230:59> »
Hehe, Madonna, hehe, troll, hehe.

I generally consider anything that's mindless/soul-sapping/please-the-largest-common-denominator as having made it through.

Reality TV...hell yeah, look at Urban Brawl and other 'runner-oriented TV coming from Horizon (among others).

Hannah Montana/Mily Cyrus, anyone from American Idol, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, yeah, they're all there under false names so as to not infringe or risk libel/slander.

The less I have to make up as a GM the better, so defaulting to real-world, even though the timeline split in early 90's, helps.

I've been meaning to do a Top Artist/TV Shows/Movies from 2010 - 2072, (using Shadowbeat to fill in the 50's) but just haven't gotten around to it...when I do...look for it in fan fiction :)
Don't forget SOTA:2063 and SOTA:2064 had some stuff listed as well. And Attitude may have some too.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <01-22-11/1252:14> »
20-40% of the World population died of VITAS and then again with VITAS 2. 

That's probably more culturally significant than "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills."

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-22-11/1706:46> »
VITAS culturally (and socially significant), yeah, it's huge; VITAS, UGE, Magic's Return, Ghost Dance War, Goblinization, VITAS II, Crash '29, Eurowars, etc., are all world spanning major socioeconomic events with after effects lasting generations if not for the next millennium.

But Pop-culturally they aren't much for fun distractions and the corps make a lot more nuyen from selling bubble-gum idoru one-hit-pop wonders to the tweens (and their parents) than selling trid downloads of the Public Access Network's five part documentary, "A World Diminished: How VITAS Changed Us."

Today's American zeitgeist has reality tv as large portion of its essence (I'd say more so during the first few years of American Idol). It's not all of it, but it's there. In the 2070's, VITAS wouldn't be much a part of any culture's present-significance as it's ~60 and ~50 years in the past. WWII in all its aspects is far more culturally significant than any reality tv show...but today WWII is not significant as far as pop culture goes.

Now, for the VITAS years...with such a huge fraction of the population dead would movies be put on hold, would the MTV Music Awards be canceled? Production in the arts would surely have slowed if not crawled as the world was brought to its knees...but what were some of the biggest hits during the Great Depression in the US...Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), King Kong (1933), Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs [sic] (1937), The Wizard of Oz (1939), etc. The movie, Sullivan's Travels (1941), addresses (successfully or not) the issue of why pop (specifically unreflective comedies) becomes so important during times of hardship.

At the risk of sounding crass, it's too bad (in respect to this topic) that the Spanish Flu had to hit during WWI; as an isolated Spanish Flu (~10% world population killed) would provide a better historical barometer for VITAS's cultural effects than the Great Depression. Then again, 1917 1918-1919 pop-culture wasn't exactly the mass-media-powerhouse that it is today (or in the 2070s).

EDIT: Correct date of Spanish Flu.
« Last Edit: <01-24-11/1615:15> by Fizzygoo »
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #8 on: <01-22-11/2233:38> »
Also to consider, the world's population has more than tripled since 1917.  The logistics of disposing of 3 billion corpses is insane.  We're talking about complete societal collapse.

What happened to pop culture is that everyone learned to shoot and started wearing body armor to the store.

Dread Moores

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-23-11/0121:13> »
No matter the game, the forum, or the weather...Kid is still an evil, evil man. That's just wrong.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #10 on: <01-24-11/1328:03> »
This link, people. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-24-11/1402:07> »
Also to consider, the world's population has more than tripled since 1917.  The logistics of disposing of 3 billion corpses is insane.  We're talking about complete societal collapse.

What happened to pop culture is that everyone learned to shoot and started wearing body armor to the store.
Yeah... I don't know if I buy this. The Decameron was written during the Black Death. The Wizard of Oz was released in the middle of the Great Depression. No matter how bad things get, people still seek to escape. Therefore, pop culture. No matter how many times you whack it with a combat axe, the towering, chattering, bubblegum-pink colossus of pop culture will rise again.

Personally, I like to remind myself that Shadowrun isn't really set all that far in the future. Sure, it's an alternate timeline, but fandoms and fads can have a very long shelf-life once you factor in the occasional nostalgic resurgence. One of my character, Eight-Stone, has an obsession with Starcraft. Starcraft in the real world is a forgettable video game to most people, but it has a rabid fanbase. And in South Korea, it's bizarrely, hugely popular... practically a national sport. I could think of no compelling reason why millions of fans would disappear over sixty years. In fact, it could even grow. So, I decided for the purposes of my character at least, it did.
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-24-11/1658:58> »
(So, I'm nearly done writing this wall-of-text of mine when I notice your link, Kot. I watched. OMG! Woa. I'm kind of glad I saw it now and not when I first started playing back in 1990, but I love it now in a cringing kind of gamer love, hehe).

Yeah, even the Spanish Flu gave rise to it's own pop culture:

"In 1918 children would skip rope to the rhyme (Crawford):

I had a little bird,
    Its name was Enza.
    I opened the window,
    And in-flu-enza." http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

And of course the 1665 Great Plague of London (Bubonic plague) "Ring around the Rosy"

Back to the Spanish Flu;
"Those who were lucky enough to avoid infection had to deal with the public health ordinances to restrain the spread of the disease. The public health departments distributed gauze masks to be worn in public. Stores could not hold sales, funerals were limited to 15 minutes. Some towns required a signed certificate to enter and railroads would not accept passengers without them. Those who ignored the flu ordinances had to pay steep fines enforced by extra officers (Deseret News). Bodies pilled up as the massive deaths of the epidemic ensued. Besides the lack of health care workers and medical supplies, there was a shortage of coffins, morticians and gravediggers (Knox). The conditions in 1918 were not so far removed from the Black Death in the era of the bubonic plague of the Middle Ages." http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

The chaos of the 2009-2012 years would have been near black hole-ish in force, Lone-Eagle leading to Re-Education centers only to be followed by one out of every four people dying from VITAS, then magic. With the Spanish Flu, one of the reasons (one of several) that it hit the US so hard was because much the medical community were over-seas for the war, "the medical students were left to care for the sick. Third and forth year classes were closed and the students assigned jobs as interns or nurses (Starr,1976)." ibid. Luckily 2010 US wasn't in a war (Ghost Dance war hadn't started), so hospitals would have been staffed-as-normal for the most part.

I would point out that medical science is/was far more advanced in 2010 than 1918 medical science...but VITAS killed around 8 times as many people as the Spanish Flu...so a lot of good the medical advances did...which is I would point out how much better medical science is/was but instead will only point out that I almost pointed it out, hehe.

I definitely would say that pop culture, during 2010 (or 2010 - 2011 if VITAS followed normal flu emergence patterns) would have stopped most large media productions; If the director didn't die then there's a good chance the producer, editor, executive-to-green-light-final-film, or lead actor(s) would have...each postponing release. Same with music, etc. Concerts, movie theaters, live performances, all would have been canceled in order to stop spread...but TV would have chugged right along (save for the stations/operations that were hit particularly hard and didn't have enough living staff to keep things working). Air Travel would have been halted save in the most extreme circumstances (military/official/government use only, recent Icelandic volcano halting Euro air travel is a great example of the effects of this...only it would have been global). Etc. Effectively by the end of the ordeal, 1/4 of everything could be closed because of the population loss. A quarter of hospitals, public schools, etc, could be closed with surviving medical personnel, teachers, students diverted to the 3 other facilities (who also lost 1/4 of their people). The gaps would close in other industries as well. The effects would be felt for long after, but within a year of the final deaths of VITAS the projects that had been put on hold would be released, with new "now what do we do, who can we cast, what directors are still alive" projects being started.

I would be interesting to figure out what would happen to unemployment rates, the unemployed would be able to step in and fill the jobs (at all levels and sectors of the economic range), but would businesses fail as well?

Sorry for any strange ramblings, VITAS is exceptionally interesting but also trying to keep in on topic with the post as well.

PS...does this means that Madonna is the actual starting point/emergent source for Goblin Rock?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Kid Chameleon

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-24-11/2345:32> »
No matter the game, the forum, or the weather...Kid is still an evil, evil man. That's just wrong.

Yet so right.
 ;)