NEWS

Magical Smartlink

• 16 Replies

Morg

« on: <01-16-11/0438:05> »
The enhanced senses adept power suggests looking at cyberware for additional senses. One of my players has asked if they could have a magical version of smartlink as a supernatural awareness of a weapons condition (i.e. knows how much ammunition is in the gun, the level of stress on the weapon and the +2 smartlink bonus) My PC admitted that they wouldn't get the other benefits of auto-ejecting a magazine or fire mod selection as a free action ect, however they were willing to acquire the adept powers needed to simulate it (i.e. nimble fingers ect.)

I said to my player just get the attune Item Metamagic for the effect but I would like everyone input on PCs the idea.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <01-16-11/0739:17> »
It's not directly in the RAW, but I'd agree that the Attunement (Item) metamagic would be a good way to implement a magical version of the non-dice benefits of a smart-gun system. Of course, he could attune the item, getting half his initiate grade, then use a smart-gun with contact lenses that have smart-link to get an additional +2 dice...

Now, I would run it so that attuning the gun would be what gives him the bullet-count solution, not the presence of a smartgun system in the attuned gun. So he could apply this with any weapon. And, I might make it more of an intuitive "feel" for ammo count, not a discrete #, but that would ultimately be a "fluff factor".
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <01-16-11/0905:32> »
The key thing to remember is that the Smartlink image enhancement is only half the equation. Whereas Thermo/Low-light/Flash Comp are built into the image item, Smartlink has to communicate with the gun's software to pull all that information. And since technology and magic don't mix too well, I'd agree that you'd need the Attune Item along with the Enhanced Senses to pull it off. You also need Image Link to use Smartlink, so that's two senses needed.

But, why go that route? Tell the bugger to man-up, buy Rating 3 Contacts (150¥, 3 Capacity) and drop Smartlink (plus Image Link and one other enhancement) into them to get all the benefits. Then, if he still wants to buy Enhanced Senses, he can use it on another sense.

Example: Contacts R3 (Image Link, Smartlink, Flash Compensation; 775¥) and Enhanced Senses (Thermographic) gives the 'runner a full complement of vision enhancements

Morg

« Reply #3 on: <01-16-11/1104:05> »
because my PC is playing a Mystic adept and cant help but try and make everything magic

he actually tried to create a magically power comlink (I hit him with a 7/11 sub for it) and is the same PC that was asking about magical silencers. he doesn't do it because it is just easier, he is just a magic freak
« Last Edit: <01-16-11/1128:51> by Morg »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <01-16-11/2355:16> »
Personally, I'd say no.  It's clearly not the sort of "sense" that can be replicated (like just being able to see in the dark, or hear better), and what's more it requires a level of mixing magic and technology (his own "magical" internal smartlink sense, and the technology of the smartlink hardware/electronics within the weapon) that I wouldn't want to set a precedence for working very easily.

He's already got access to Improved Ability if he's an Adept, and as you mentioned Attunement is certainly another option (if he's got a favorite gun, and the karma to spare) to get a similarly fun effect.  Remind him about the Adept Centering power, too, because it also can help with accuracy where attacks are concerned.

The Cat

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-17-11/1415:57> »
When I or one of my players comes up with something "weird" that no one else seems to have come up with (logical idea or not), I always start with the same question: "why has no one else thought of this?"  I then try to give an IC and OOC answer to it that makes sense and covers most of the possible cases.

In this case, it appears to me there's no magical smartlink because they don't NEED a magical smartlink.  They can already do as well or better with spells and/or adept abilities than the smartlink does.

Now, if one of my players came to me with this, I would definitely try to pull it off, but I would make it somewhat difficult and expensive to do.  They are, after all, blazing a new trail in magic.  First off, the system would have to be entirely magical, no technology involved, which in and of itself would be a design nightmare requiring a lot of gunsmithing skill to incorporate.  They're going to have to come up with magical means to operate physical switches and levers inside the firearm.  They're going to have to either create new abilities or co-opt existing spells and abilities to operate in ways they weren't designed to.  Early prototypes will be clunky and failure prone.  They may need exotic materials (can you imagine the cost of a "external smartlink system" made entirely of oracalcum including the lenses then bonding it to yourself?) or unusual methods (afraid you need to make the first ever magical gunsmithing shop).

But I wouldn't stop them from doing it if they wanted to put in the time and effort required.  I might even get a run out of it when Corp A finds out about it and tries to steal the "technology."  The hardest part is actually working out HOW it would work in order to come up with acceptable rolls, expenses, timetables and needed materials and spells.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-17-11/1710:48> »
In this case, it appears to me there's no magical smartlink because they don't NEED a magical smartlink.  They can already do as well or better with spells and/or adept abilities than the smartlink does.
No they don't need magical smartlink because nothing stops them from using the same technological smartlink that everyone else uses.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-11/0754:27> »
If I was to muddle through that idea I would proberbly say the gun has to be enchanted with a mystical version of a smartlink (maybe a crystal rather then a camera that kind of thing) and the adept needs the power.

It does seem to be abit unneeded but I can see why someone might get hooked up on a magical smartlink. It would be limited to giving a bonus to shooting and maybe some visual stuff through the gun but that would be about it otherwise you would end up having to anchor a nimble fingers spell or something to it to handle the mechanical stuff.

Also I can see this being a active item when being used so the gun will light up in the astral which aint helping with infiltration
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-11/0043:19> »
My initial reaction was, "No no no no, and no!"

Then I read over Attunement (Item) (Adepts Only) MitS pg 54.

10 + (1x3) + 10 + (2x3) + 10 + (3x3) = 30 + 3 + 6 + 9 = 48 Karma to get Initiate Grade 3.

8 Karma minimum to Attune the gun (otherwise 9).

56 Total Karma to gain Attunement with the gun to give a +2 DP mod.

Sure, why not.

Average adventure Karma Award
1.5 Survival
1 For 1 mission objective fulfilled
2 For Threat
1.5 For Character was Brave/Smart/Good Roleplaying
1 For pushing storyline forward/right skills-right place/humor or drama
7 Total
8 average Runs to get a +2 DP Mod for a weapon not totally in-sync with an Adept's overall focus...sure, go for it.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-19-11/0339:33> »
My initial reaction was, "No no no no, and no!"

Then I read over Attunement (Item) (Adepts Only) MitS pg 54.

10 + (1x3) + 10 + (2x3) + 10 + (3x3) = 30 + 3 + 6 + 9 = 48 Karma to get Initiate Grade 3.

8 Karma minimum to Attune the gun (otherwise 9).

56 Total Karma to gain Attunement with the gun to give a +2 DP mod.

Sure, why not.

Average adventure Karma Award
1.5 Survival
1 For 1 mission objective fulfilled
2 For Threat
1.5 For Character was Brave/Smart/Good Roleplaying
1 For pushing storyline forward/right skills-right place/humor or drama
7 Total
8 average Runs to get a +2 DP Mod for a weapon not totally in-sync with an Adept's overall focus...sure, go for it.
And this has what to do with a magical smartlink, except that it gives the same DP bonus as a smartlink(and even that only for character who's initiate level 3 or 4).
Especially considering that pretty mcuh only an idiot would bond a gun that doesn't have a normal technological smartlink in it.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-21-11/1445:49> »
Exactly, Mäx. Using Attunement to make a character feel "like" they have a SmartGun System only through magic-means instead of technology is a huge waste of magical energy from a Karma cost point of view. When I saw people posting about using Attunement in this thread, that's where my initial reaction of "no" ("no you can't use magic to link to a gun") came from before I read the RAW on Attunement.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Morg

« Reply #11 on: <01-23-11/0839:47> »
Exactly, Mäx. Using Attunement to make a character feel "like" they have a SmartGun System only through magic-means instead of technology is a huge waste of magical energy from a Karma cost point of view. When I saw people posting about using Attunement in this thread, that's where my initial reaction of "no" ("no you can't use magic to link to a gun") came from before I read the RAW on Attunement.

and yet my PC is doing it because they like the style.  ???

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-25-11/2119:37> »
The spell analyze device provides familiarity with the object in question and can give a significant dice pool bonus.  Your mystic adept may want to look into that as well.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-26-11/1324:19> »
The spell analyze device provides familiarity with the object in question and can give a significant dice pool bonus.  Your mystic adept may want to look into that as well.
You better get your gm pretty damm stoned before you try succesting him that analyze device should give you more dice for shooting you gun ;)

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-26-11/1335:04> »
By the RAW, it works just fine.  :-(
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile