NEWS

Wolf and the raven:

• 14 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <09-09-10/1644:53> »
So I like this book alot and while re-reading it i thought of the concept that a Wolf like PC would employ using 4a rules. I know that this was written around the time that 1ed was even making it into print so there is no straight cross over class for Wolf. Now i am going to use spells for some of what he gets and adept powers for another. So let’s say we have a mystic adept (-10 BP), Mentor spit (wolf -5 BP), and whatever else you would like to add to positive qualities.

Then you use Geas (+10 BP) and tie it into your adept powers, namely you need to call on wolf to access them. Then you split your points as you see fit, I was thinking of using a 500BP build, and magic 6; 4 points for spells and 2 points for powers. For spells i was thinking heal, changshape, combat sense, improved reflexes.  Any thoughts?

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/1647:25> »
Thats a concept I have to chew on for a while, but I like where you're going with it...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-10/1652:55> »
Hmm... I don't know if I'd go with spellcasting or with Phys Adept powers that only activate with the Geas of calling on his Mentor Spirit. It would be totally a role-playing option. Maybe make the Willpower + Charisma (3) test when he wants to access the powers?

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-10/2128:46> »
I always thought that he was a wolf-shifter with a super close relationship with his totem and selective amnesia about being born a wolf. But after re-reading the book again I gotta go with Frankie's Mystic adept idea. it makes more sense than my origional theory
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-10/2208:43> »
The issue is (partially) that Wolf and Raven was, while released later in the Shadowrun series of stories, some of the very first Shadowrun fiction ever written.  It's my understanding that -- at the time it was being composed -- the Shadowrun game developers hadn't really pinned down what exactly a werewolf was or how it worked.

Stackpole intended for Wolf to be a werewolf/Shaman, but when the rules were more clearly laid out (describing all that a were-critter is and what it does), that didn't really "jive" so smoothly.  I think that, for those trying to recreate Wolf using SR4, a Shamanic Way Adept is the way to go -- enhanced senses, killing hands (that look like claws), etc, etc...and tie it all to having an innate, natural, magical, bond with the Wolf mentor spirit.  After he gets a little Karma under his belt you can look into the actual Shapeshift spell, Eyes of the Pack, Animal Attunement, and some other cool wolf-y stuff.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-10/0258:52> »
I had heard somewhere that Wolf was originally an Adept.  Keep in mind that Adepts were not originally a core class.  The first Adept rules in SR1 were in the Grimoire, not the core book.

In my head, I've always had the idea of Totemic Adepts....  Basically Adepts that followed a shamanic totem.  So I always read Wolf as being a Wolf Adept. 

I started on a project ages ago to work up a set of bonuses and penalties that the Totems would give that applied to Adepts, but sadly that was a couple hard drives ago and wasn't a piece of data I managed to save.  The only one I really remember was the SPider Adept, because I used it for a Spider-Man character I created back on the RN Mailing list...  He could designate an area to be his Web (Giving him the Home Ground advantage), but his web was HIS, and no other predators were allowed on it, so he had to protect it (Basically a Geas to protect those who lived in his Home Ground area).

Bull

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-10/0316:16> »
Personally, I don't mind Adepts with the Mentor Spirit quality. Can give a certain flair, why not...
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-12-10/0419:37> »
Personally, I don't mind Adepts with the Mentor Spirit quality. Can give a certain flair, why not...

Its not allowed by RAW, but for a cool character concept like Wolf, yeah, I'd allow it.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-12-10/0426:10> »
Yes, I know that it's not raw, but I don't see any reason why not to allow it (and I don't limit it to a specific mentor spirit).  But honestly, "Wolf" from "Wolf and Raven" is not a cool character concept, it's simply a rip-off.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-12-10/0433:39> »
Sure he is. Just not for anyone besides his original creator :)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <09-12-10/1144:00> »

Its not allowed by RAW, but for a cool character concept like Wolf, yeah, I'd allow it.
That's been changed with SR4a. Now anyone that takes the Magician, Adept or Mystic Adept quality can have a Mentor Spirit.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-12-10/1233:07> »
I did another take on him, building a Jaguar shifter mystic adept using the All father as the mentor spirit. Kind of my own take on the situation, he comes from the old southern Arizona region. Part of the Zuni tribe, there three primary gods include the Sun god (which is the same thing as the All father different name).

Though he is not the mini maxi the strongest PC you could make, he seems like a amazing PC to play, and is growth potential is sick, but I used a 500 BP build and using Geas adept optional rule from street magic makes him a little Board unfriendly for PBP. All in all if i get a chance i would run him as a primary PC, but will not shift out anyone i am playing with because they fit the ongoing game we are playing and i hate to be that guy that is always trying to play a new PC lol.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <09-12-10/1332:10> »

That's been changed with SR4a. Now anyone that takes the Magician, Adept or Mystic Adept quality can have a Mentor Spirit.

Yeah, its just not well written in SR4A german. In the description of "Mentor Spirit" it says it can only be taken by Magicians and Mystical Adepts, but in the Magic chapter it says everyone can take it. *grrrr*

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #13 on: <09-16-10/0138:04> »
Frankly, there's not much reason an Adept shouldn't be allowed to take a Mentor spirit.  It is a waste of points though, as most of the Mentor spirits bonuses (Spell modifiers) are unusable by a straight adept. 

Bull

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-16-10/0145:58> »
But mentor spirits are amazing for mystic adepts, allowing for there smaller die pools.