NEWS

Adept Ways

• 52 Replies

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-01-16/1435:07> »
AJ, I have a question/concern here, and what it boils down to is...when the root cause of our major issues can be traced back to a specific individual, doesn't every criticism become a personal attack, since it is laid at their feet?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <02-01-16/1449:33> »
AJ, I have a question/concern here, and what it boils down to is...when the root cause of our major issues can be traced back to a specific individual, doesn't every criticism become a personal attack, since it is laid at their feet?

Come on chummer -- get your corp speak on!  There are ways to say things which make your point clear enough, without making the words personal.

“We know that it is possible for line editing to catch such things – even at Catalyst it can be seen with the many less problems in the Battletech line of books.  It is therefore frustrating as a fan that this appearance of weak line editing has carried on throughout the 5th edition era, and it is disappointing that Catalyst has apparently not taken more substantial steps to address it.”

==================================

etiquette aside, do remember that Street Grimoire was one of the earlier supplements.  I certainly think that the more recent ones have been broadly better (barring the odd decision to skip a full table of contents in a couple of them -- come on people, these are reference books, not novels!)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #17 on: <02-01-16/1454:25> »
Yeah, there's polite ways of expressing your dissatisfaction, and there's calling people incompetent and/or shirking their duties or telling them to 'put down the crack pipe' as adzling has previously said.  If you can't express yourself on a topic without denigrating other people, maybe you shouldn't express yourself on that topic.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-01-16/1504:23> »
Yeah, there's polite ways of expressing your dissatisfaction, and there's calling people incompetent and/or shirking their duties or telling them to 'put down the crack pipe' as adzling has previously said.  If you can't express yourself on a topic without denigrating other people, maybe you shouldn't express yourself on that topic.
What kind of inference are most people going to make about a person if that person's job includes editing, and the overall editing is of terrible quality? One might reasonably infer it reflects on that person's competence, let alone professionalism.   ;D
« Last Edit: <02-01-16/1511:00> by Whiskeyjack »
Playability > verisimilitude.

adzling

« Reply #19 on: <02-01-16/1504:51> »
It's pretty clear that srun 5e suffers from horrific line editing and has done since launch.

You can draw your own conclusions whether that is due to the person in charge of same or other factors.

Howver catalyst does much better with battletech.

I wonder why that is?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #20 on: <02-01-16/1532:22> »
Like Beta and I said WhiskeyJack, you can say there's problems without being insulting to individuals.  Infer all you want. 

I personally find the editing standard to be abysmal and the lack of errata to fix previous errors is horrible.  I'm not calling out individuals because it is rude and in my opinion the sheer number of problems indicates this isn't on the head of a single person.  I have professional editing experience, though I wasn't the top of the totem pole; I would have been reamed had I let products go to the next level at the quality I've seen in some of these books. 

At this point in time, I've aired my grievances.  I've literally volunteered to do editing for free twice to help with the workload.  No response either time.  There's not much I can do but choose whether or not to purchase Shadowrun products at this point.  I don't need to lower myself to insulting people, nor do I want to, nor would it help. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-01-16/1603:12> »
So basically... you're making this shit up as you go? You're calling them Qualities, only they don't adhere to ANY of the rules that govern every other Quality in the game. You've got them listed with the rest of the Initiation Arts, but they don't require Initiation like all the other listed Arts do.

I understand when some GMs will house rule stuff, saying "Well yes. The rules do say that. But I've decided that at my table we're going to do something different." But when the writers themselves can't adhere to the rules of the game, I kinda lose my mind. How in the fuck can you call yourselves professionals, and expect people to pay rather large sums of money for your products, when you obviously can't decide how the game is supposed to be played.

THIS SHIT is why we have such lengthy and repeated discussions on these forums. "How does XYZ work?" over and over and over again. It's because the writers don't even know how it's supposed to work. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, but both of them are outstretched to take our money.

Holy shit...
Funny ...
Take a step back and realize you're not even late to the party with your points ...
That Ways can't count as actual qualities per Core Book is old, same with infected qualities, which are often above the limit of positive qualities at chargen.

The writers know how they want it to work. It's just that there are sometimes minor mistakes which cause confusion.

Ways are unique in their interaction with the awakened individuals. By choosing a Way you automatically qualify for their stuff.
And what is more important for your yelling:
You complained about a point that is completely irrelevant for the Ways.
Since the Arts are for magicians only and the Ways are for adepts I leave you to figure it out on your own.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #22 on: <02-01-16/1603:44> »
I've literally volunteered to do editing for free twice to help with the workload.
I got a pretty quick reply (under a week) to my offer for copy-editing. I rate that response time as pretty fantastic.

How did you offer your help? The people who actually are involved in this kind of thing don't often read the forums, so you might not have contacted them in the correct way. It was in one of the threads where this stuff was getting hot and heavy.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #23 on: <02-01-16/1645:08> »
So basically... you're making this shit up as you go? You're calling them Qualities, only they don't adhere to ANY of the rules that govern every other Quality in the game. You've got them listed with the rest of the Initiation Arts, but they don't require Initiation like all the other listed Arts do.

I understand when some GMs will house rule stuff, saying "Well yes. The rules do say that. But I've decided that at my table we're going to do something different." But when the writers themselves can't adhere to the rules of the game, I kinda lose my mind. How in the fuck can you call yourselves professionals, and expect people to pay rather large sums of money for your products, when you obviously can't decide how the game is supposed to be played.

THIS SHIT is why we have such lengthy and repeated discussions on these forums. "How does XYZ work?" over and over and over again. It's because the writers don't even know how it's supposed to work. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, but both of them are outstretched to take our money.

Holy shit...
Funny ...
Take a step back and realize you're not even late to the party with your points ...
That Ways can't count as actual qualities per Core Book is old, same with infected qualities, which are often above the limit of positive qualities at chargen.

The writers know how they want it to work. It's just that there are sometimes minor mistakes which cause confusion.

Ways are unique in their interaction with the awakened individuals. By choosing a Way you automatically qualify for their stuff.
And what is more important for your yelling:
You complained about a point that is completely irrelevant for the Ways.
Since the Arts are for magicians only and the Ways are for adepts I leave you to figure it out on your own.

Run Faster pg 133, Creating Infected Characters
Creating one of the Infected is just the same as creating any other character. The appropriate quality is selected during character creation when qualities are purchased, and the various benefits and penalties are assigned. The normal limit saying characters cannot have more than 25 Karma worth of Positive Qualities at character creation does not apply to Infected qualities, though the limit on 25 Karma worth of Negative Qualities remains in place.

You're right, there is precedence for purchasing Qualities that don't count towards your 25 point limit. However, there is also precedence for saying so to the players beforehand (without requiring them to wander the forums aimlessly until someone claiming to be the writer puts a quick little comment in about it).

Same goes for input from Mr Aaron, like when he came on the forums to tell everyone that only the Owner of a device can bring those devices into their PAN. Meaning the Decker cannot protect the Street Sam's chrome or toys unless the Decker becomes the registered Owner of everything the Sam has.
Or when he said you can use your Counterspell skill (and nothing else) to try and avoid getting hit by a Fireball. Despite the fact that we've eventually established there is absolutely no defense test to avoid a Fireball.
Basically, he's interjecting rulings that have absolutely no grounding in the Rules As Written. Nothing in the book suggests any of those claims, and yet here they are saying "Oh, well... that's what I meant to say."

When the Ways are in the same section as Initiation Arts, in a section which is entitled Secrets of the Initiates, then where are you supposed to infer this hidden meaning that Ways aren't an Initiation thing. That you can simply pay 20 Karma and immediately receive a package deal.

Arts are for Mages, Ways are for Adepts. Both are Magic users, governed by quite a few of the same rules. I leave you to wander in the dark, feeling your way through the haze, to figure it out on your own. Just be sure to check the forums regularly, b/c they've basically given up printing official errata and have moved to occasionally answering a question here or there depending on whether they too check the forums regularly. The errata has become a game of Telephone, where someone saw the post, and told a friend, who told a friend, who may eventually remember to mention it again when the question is asked for the thousandth time b/c nobody can find the answer in an official format.

These books cost too much to have such poor quality. Pretty pictures and spiffy fonts do not forgive piss poor editing and horrible organization. There is not a single aspect of this game that doesn't require cross referencing several sections of the book, if not several sections across several books, to even remotely understand "what they meant to say". Oh, and then there's the Hide and Seek in the forums to see if anything was further clarified muddied by someone later on.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #24 on: <02-01-16/1705:44> »
It should be said that Street Grimoire was from that dark era of releases and might be the biggest evidence to how screwed it all were back then. It's gotten better (a lot if you compare with Rigger 5)
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

adzling

« Reply #25 on: <02-01-16/1715:53> »
I wholeheartedly concur with the below.

Catalyst needs to change how they author, edit and release Srun books.

Although things have improved since the horror show that was Street Grimoire the newer books such as Rigger 5.0 (see errata thread for Rigger 5.0) are still badly mis-managed and poorly edited to the point where we still have to dig through these forums to divine what was meant and concoct houserules to fix things that were terribly written/ forgotten/ never edited to start with.

The fact that Catalyst can't get their act together enough to simply release errata after over a year is beyond comprehension.

It's like they are daring each other to see how long they can ignore their fanbase before people wholesale abandon Srun 5e.

These books cost too much to have such poor quality. Pretty pictures and spiffy fonts do not forgive piss poor editing and horrible organization. There is not a single aspect of this game that doesn't require cross referencing several sections of the book, if not several sections across several books, to even remotely understand "what they meant to say". Oh, and then there's the Hide and Seek in the forums to see if anything was further clarified muddied by someone later on.

adzling

« Reply #26 on: <02-01-16/1723:41> »
Mystic, I am attempting to get the Adept Ways fixed in Hero Lab so they reflect your intent when writing the section.

Currently HeroLab implements Ways as costing double post Chargen AND contributing to maximum Quality limit during Chargen.

I can understand why herolab does this, the errata for S.G. does not cover this at all for some reason *scratches head*.

Perhaps you could post here how Adept Ways should be treated so I can get this fixed for the playerbase in herolab?

thanks

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-01-16/2013:01> »

Criticizing and commenting on decisions is fine. Calling someone incompetent is a personsal attack. Period.

Things are not perfect, I get that. However, I can also admit to not having full visibility to all the inner workings and decision making processes. Hence, I find it hard to pass judgement, despite opinions I might have as to what could/should be done.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <02-01-16/2059:13> »
To state opinion i believe the issue is too many freelancers not a lot of collaboration lack of clarity it was an experiment on if freelancers could provide material they did. It's just they weren't working in concert with one another so they didnt have knowledge what the other freelancers were doing. Hence why we have a hodge podge of rules that don't quite make sense with one another and no final say on what the rulings are. Again, this is just my opinion and what we can do as fans of this is come together as a group and decide what should be intended write our own errata vote on the choices or we can just go and blame someone else for a problem we can fix ourselves. *drop mic*
« Last Edit: <02-01-16/2101:06> by Rooks »

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #29 on: <02-01-16/2223:30> »
And some have claimed the Ways price doubles post character gen, which my group ignores cause about .75 PP refund and cheaper foci/similar effect is not worth 40 karma.

They do not cost 40 post char gen, so you're doing it correctly.

8)

Thanks! Man, that made my day! Sadly, it was never mentioned in the SG errata from years back. Was it ever actually finished?
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.