NEWS

Cyberware/Bioware recommendations

• 65 Replies

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #60 on: <02-03-16/1035:39> »
Drugs stack with everything unless there is an entry under the piece of 'ware that mentions grugs specifically.

But you're still subject to the Attribute Maximum of +4 and the Initiative maximum of +5d6.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <02-03-16/1243:22> »
Drugs stack with everything unless there is an entry under the piece of 'ware that mentions grugs specifically.

But you're still subject to the Attribute Maximum of +4 and the Initiative maximum of +5d6.
Yeah this is a fairly new clarification IIRC.

And whether things stack depends if the ware in question calls out not stacking with augmentations or with enhancements.
Playability > verisimilitude.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #62 on: <02-03-16/1327:02> »
As of Chrome Flesh, so, yeah, in the last year.

the_konch

• Newb
« Reply #63 on: <02-04-16/0249:56> »
This thread is getting a little bit off topic, so I thought I would post my new set of 'ware:

-Commlink (dr 4)
-Cybereyes (vision mag, vision enhance, thermo vision, low-light vision)
-Olfactory Booster (r2)
-Voice Mimic (r3)

-Cerebellum Booster (r2)
-Hearing enhance
-Magnasense
-Neuro Retention
-Platelet Factories
-Sleep Regulator
-Tailored Pheromones (r2)

I'm curious! Why are you wanting to take a Commlink as Cyberware?

I've never found a reason to do so for any of my characters, if just because the moment someone bricks it I have a hunk of useless drek surgically implanted and I can't get it fixed without more surgery. I could especially see that being an issue for your character given you've got Cyber-eyes (A Decker's favorite target) and the rating of that Commlink is pretty poor for defensive purposes.

Mostly this is just a curiosity thing. I totally get grabbin' stuff for flavor and all that!

Yea, it's complete flavor. I read in one of the books that built-in commlinks are popular in the business world. I did upgrade its rating to 7 however. Also, I sort of ran out of other things to put in, so why not a commlink? It comes with a free sim module!!!

Currently, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep voice mimic and/or if I should add all the other voice 'ware just to have a complete set.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <02-04-16/1231:22> »

Yeah this is a fairly new clarification IIRC.

And whether things stack depends if the ware in question calls out not stacking with augmentations or with enhancements.
Ok lets do the rundown

Improve Initiative:
The maximum rating of Improved Reflexes is 3, and the increase cannot be
combined with other technological or magical increases to Initiative.

Wired reflexes:
Wired reflexes are incompatible with augmentations that affect Reaction or Initiative

Synaptic Booster:
The synaptic booster cannot be combined with
any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement.

Move by wire:
Move-by-wire is incompatible with any other reaction-enhancing augmentation

Boosted Reflexes:
boosted reflexes may not be removed once installed, and they are incompatible with any other
Initiative-modifying augmentation.

And we know
Incompatiblity page 421 :
wired reflexes and synaptic boosters boosters—you cannot
use the effects of both items at the same time.

So where does that leave drugs?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <02-04-16/1340:55> »
II: Compatible. Drugs are not technological or magical (yes drugs are refined and some are BAD but the intent to me there is "ware or other magic," not a drug that happens to be a BAD).

WR: compatible. Drugs are not an augmentation (which has historically been a term of art referencing ware).

SB: Incompatible. Drugs are an enhancement.

MBW: compatible because drugs are not augmentations.

BR: compatible because they are not augmentations.

If augmentations are actually meant to be synonymous with enhancement this would be different. Historically they are different things and this edition did not specifically say they were or were not synonymous, and the differentiation has been a Known Thing for a long time.

I would say the above is compatible with RAW but maybe not RAI, but I could give two shits about the RAI of this edition. If authors want their intent to hold water, they should write more clearly (and apparently catalyst doesn't care about the RAI, given the editing quality and numerous contradictions in each book - intent here has no credibility to me ergo I look solely to the RAW)
Playability > verisimilitude.