NEWS

Cyberware/Bioware recommendations

• 65 Replies

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <01-29-16/1150:12> »
No one has mentioned Sleep Regulator. With the backstory given, it seems a natural fit. It's also a GREAT piece of ware.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

adzling

« Reply #31 on: <01-29-16/1206:13> »
yeah I love Sleep Regulator, my toon has it.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-29-16/1207:33> »
What do you guys see as valuable about it over, say, just abusing Cram?
Playability > verisimilitude.

adzling

« Reply #33 on: <01-29-16/1300:20> »
Not having to sleep much is big thing sometimes but it's very situational dependent.

I hate the very poor addiction rules so our table has ditched them and gone with a very simple rule of "you can only take one drug dose every other run or your character becomes an NPC".

Bang, problem solved and no crappy book-keeping.

So at our table it is more valuable than a table that permits unfettered drug use.

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <01-29-16/1305:42> »
A Mystic Adept is an Adept. It says Adept in the name.

Technically speaking, I'm pretty sure the Magician's Way is the only way that a Mystic Adept can do non-Adept Metamagics:

Quote from: Street Grimoire, P 178
Unlike their physical counterparts, mystic adepts following this Way have access to all non-adept metamagic abilities for which they meet the prerequisites. And because they do not specialize as much as other adepts (and do not receive a bonus besides the discount on Power Point cost), followers of this Way are able to choose any power they want for the discount, with the exception of Improved Reflexes.

Mystic Adepts are more accurately spellcasting/summoning/enchanting Adepts than they are Mages with Adept powers. As such, they have to invest 20 karma in the Magician's Way to even get access to Quickening and all the fun Mage metamagics.

I'm pretty sure no one plays it this way, but I'm fairly certain it's the RAW way to do it.
Yeah, that's what I thought.  I misread context, thought you were saying the mystic adept didn't count!

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #35 on: <01-29-16/1421:29> »
I hate the very poor addiction rules so our table has ditched them and gone with a very simple rule of "you can only take one drug dose every other run or your character becomes an NPC".

Bang, problem solved and no crappy book-keeping.
So ... basically you banned addiction as a viable character design? In a dystopian future world where one of the biggest industries is escapism of some sort because the world sucks?

That makes no sense to me, but okay!

adzling

« Reply #36 on: <01-29-16/1449:35> »
As a player mechanic, yes.

The rules are poor and make little sense compared to real addiction.
I've never had a player who rp'd an addiction well.
It opens up all kinds of exploit potential if you don't do a lot of book-keeping.
It doesn't add much of anything to the gameplay experience.

So yah, we basically banned addiction at our table.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #37 on: <01-29-16/1514:14> »
If it is mild or weak Soycaf or Alcohol I can see it being done easily, outside that, nope, no idea how.

So, while I own and enjoyed Street Grimiore (outside it horrible rules, worse book I own). I am glad my table don't use deckers. We have a contact that does decking stuff for us and we pay her. Makes everyone (players and GM happy). The reason was decking was already confusing (bad first experiance with first 5th GM had played one in 4A and thought he new how it worked) then add in the new book from which I hear might be equal to Street Grimiore in quality (blarg) and mostly useless info and I am happy I didn't buy it.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <01-29-16/1612:18> »
If it is mild or weak Soycaf or Alcohol I can see it being done easily, outside that, nope, no idea how.

So, while I own and enjoyed Street Grimiore (outside it horrible rules, worse book I own). I am glad my table don't use deckers. We have a contact that does decking stuff for us and we pay her. Makes everyone (players and GM happy). The reason was decking was already confusing (bad first experiance with first 5th GM had played one in 4A and thought he new how it worked) then add in the new book from which I hear might be equal to Street Grimiore in quality (blarg) and mostly useless info and I am happy I didn't buy it.
Decking is a huge pain at our table, as well.  I am the magician so I try to know all the rules about magic to help out the GM if I have to, but the decker doesn't seem to know much about his, so we wade through the rules a lot.  Maybe we should kick the decker off the team and hire another tough! 

the_konch

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <01-30-16/0238:03> »
This thread is getting a little bit off topic, so I thought I would post my new set of 'ware:

-Commlink (dr 4)
-Cybereyes (vision mag, vision enhance, thermo vision, low-light vision)
-Olfactory Booster (r2)
-Voice Mimic (r3)

-Cerebellum Booster (r2)
-Hearing enhance
-Magnasense
-Neuro Retention
-Platelet Factories
-Sleep Regulator
-Tailored Pheromones (r2)

I decided to ditch the Burnout's Way, because ultimately I didn't like it flavor wise. I just spent a little extra money to turn some of my cyberware into alphaware and grabbed bio-compatibility and mentor spirit instead. I did decide to stay a mystic adept however for all the face powers.

Now I'm trying to decide what spells to get, I already got my two favorites, Imp Invisibility and Influence, plus heal, leaving me with 4 more spells to take. Perhaps I can hear some opinions on what other spells to take that would complement my current build? Maybe spirits? Or traditional gear?

I'm sorry that I'm asking so much, but since I almost never post, I thought I might as well try to squeeze out every last drop of lifeblood for this character.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <01-30-16/1031:22> »
my go to wares are usually

Narco
Tetrachromatic vision
Synch

Datajack

Nephritic screen 6
Smartlink

= 1 essence

Also I consider the neocortical nanites with a used rating 3 nanohive as that gives another +3 to logic tests
« Last Edit: <01-30-16/1033:37> by Rooks »

adzling

« Reply #41 on: <02-01-16/1014:19> »
FYI turns out that Adept Ways do NOT count towards positive quality karma limit in chargen.
So you CAN take Way of the Burnout, Bio-compatibility and Protoype Transhuman during Chargen....
See here:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23294.0

WOW

Soahl

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <02-02-16/0540:05> »
This thread is getting a little bit off topic, so I thought I would post my new set of 'ware:

-Commlink (dr 4)
-Cybereyes (vision mag, vision enhance, thermo vision, low-light vision)
-Olfactory Booster (r2)
-Voice Mimic (r3)

-Cerebellum Booster (r2)
-Hearing enhance
-Magnasense
-Neuro Retention
-Platelet Factories
-Sleep Regulator
-Tailored Pheromones (r2)

I'm curious! Why are you wanting to take a Commlink as Cyberware?

I've never found a reason to do so for any of my characters, if just because the moment someone bricks it I have a hunk of useless drek surgically implanted and I can't get it fixed without more surgery. I could especially see that being an issue for your character given you've got Cyber-eyes (A Decker's favorite target) and the rating of that Commlink is pretty poor for defensive purposes.

Mostly this is just a curiosity thing. I totally get grabbin' stuff for flavor and all that!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <02-02-16/0721:04> »
There's a lot of notions that the commlink itself isn't permanently implanted but that you essentially have an implanted slot drive that the commlink can be inserted into. 

Because yeah otherwise you could never upgrade your phone and if it's bricked once you're totally screwed and that is dumb as hell.

Even under this reading there is little incentive for an implanted commlink
Playability > verisimilitude.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <02-02-16/0726:17> »
Ya think the general consensus is that its a bay inside your head to slot your commlink into not so much good for commlinks persay, but certainly useful for say cyberdecks instead of lugging that thing around or trying to get through security, cybereyes you dont really have a reason to have wireless on unless its smartlink or vision enhancement course if you have a datajack you can bypass that altogether with respect to the smartlink anyways unless you are firing remotely through a smartplatform or weapon turret, but then again thats what the datajack is for for the hardwire bypass.