NEWS

[5e IC] Call of Fate [2076 Game Thread]

• 1173 Replies

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #240 on: <02-18-16/1632:23> »
Jackhammer fought of his "frag yourself" reflex reaction to ISaint's text, which was impressive since he had a special quick reply button on his 'link for just such occasions. He knew he was right. This was bigger than personal annoyances. The Below was a dangerous place, and Jackhammer was still thinking more of co-worker relationships and establishing dominance than he was about the potential severity of the upcoming situation. He rolled his shoulder and cracked his elbow, letting out an impatient sigh. He turned his attention back to business, and just at that moment, business was this guy burning their time and blowing their cover. He looked to Isaint, waiting for any version of "go".

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #241 on: <02-19-16/0413:32> »
"The clowns are one of the few people I know who actively do something against the Shedim. That makes them alright in my books and the Druggies deserve what they got from messing with them.

Ok. Let's call them Alice and Bob instead. At least the cryptography examples stand a chance in keeping Eve from knowing.

No, but you implied it. Because if the houses where behind the idea of intermarrying you wouldn't need us to play matchmaker. And I know hands first that a lot of people really hate things that would be good for them - like behaving in a civilized fashion, just to name a random example.

Sure, some very select experiments in KZ's some 140 years ago might have been beneficial to the total of human medical knowledge, but that doesn't make Mengele my preferred go to source for healthcare. Primo nocere - if that is not the prime directive of your healers they aren't worth a damn.
And don't come to me with metaphysical bullshit how from a certain point of view we are slaves. The Druggies proved in the most direct fashion possible that they are nothing more than a bunch of rapists - attacking the mind of a 14 year old girl with the aim to drug her up and remove any form of volition from her to use her for their own ends is not the same as living in a capitalist system. Also, even if there are factions that treat their victims worse, that in no way excuses their actions. It just means there are other houses that should lose power.

But yes, I do agree that suffering should be avoided. Which is the only reason I continue this conversation.

Yeah, yeah, but this bane can be reinstated as easily as it was lifted. And it's not like we flung ourselves into anyones faces. It was their own choice to attack us, twice I might add. It really isn't the rocks fault if an idiot wants to bash his head against it repeatedly.

Finally, despite all this I do entertain the thought of complying with your request under the following conditions:
1. We are allowed to carry out our mission unhindered - that includes the delivery of the goods.
2. You use that spy network of yours to find out what happened to our companions that were lost while we trecked through this hellhole you call Below
3. I can't promise you the help of Al or Jackhammer. They didn't sign up for this. Neither did the rest of our group. So unless they are willing to do so from their own free will, you'll only get my cooperation.

If you are worried about me never coming back, I'll remind you that I follow St. George the Dragonslayer. My word is my bond.

And I should mention that those conditions are not up for debate. There are other ways we can reach our destination - less secure and easy maybe, but on balance not that much more dangerous than your proposed conditions."

Replied Isaint

« Last Edit: <02-22-16/0814:51> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #242 on: <02-19-16/0836:28> »
[Sunday July 5th, 2076; Approach to Nightside Market, London Below]

The Storyteller scowled at Isaint

“You do not listen and I will not try to persuade you.  You see black and white when there is only grey, but what can you expect from someone who follows your mentor?  Perhaps once you have met some of the Flowers other than over the barrel of a gun you will see fit to rethink your blinkered preconceptions?

It is no matter, it must be the three of you or none, your new companions can aid you or not as they see fit but without you three there is no deal.  If it was simply a matter of bringing these two together do you not think I could achieve that through less convoluted means, and dealing with people far less annoying?

The bane will not be re-instated, by the Flowers or anyone else, do not believe that we are incapable of flexible thought, it did not work before and there is no reason to believe it would do again.

As to you terms, I can only guarantee that my people will not interfere in your mission, nobody speaks for the whole of Below.  Take that or leave it.  My whisperers will look for your missing friends certainly.  I can tell you now that the one you called Solo has left Below unscathed, relatively, and I believe that Mel succumbed to the Shadows.  Who else do you wish me to find?

So, you must decide now, do you accept my task or do you turn round and find another route to your goal?  I will not threaten and bluster, if you do not accept I will need to find another way to my goal and I do not have time to deal with recalcitrant Overworlders…”

Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

adamu

« Reply #243 on: <02-19-16/1137:20> »
Al's only loyalty was to his co-workers.

"I go the way Isaint goes....but not without Jackhammer...An' what does that mean, 'succumbed to the Shadows?'"

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #244 on: <02-19-16/1218:29> »
Jackhammer was pretty pissed at being called "recalcitrant", and made a mental note to look that up on the matrix later to find out what it meant. But it looked like Al and ISaint might be close to a deal with this weirdo, and that could at least get him out of the way. Being honest with himself about it, he didn't give two nuyen if the others planned to make good on their word or not. Normally he had feelings about respect and such, but he just wasn't too motivated to hold those values in the underground nut-house. But it didn't sound too awful either, just petty and mundane. So he'd decide later. But for now, he nodded his affirmation to ISaint in case that's the diplomatic route he wanted to take.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #245 on: <02-20-16/1406:11> »
"I tell you what: I won't start a discussion about why moral principles aren't the same thing as binary vision and you stop that "you ignorant fool" talk. That will cut massively how much time we have to endure each other and our incompatible philosophies.

It's good to hear that Solo made it out - although I wonder if it's him or just a new personality of him. And yes, there were more: A Native American human called Smiley, an elven Mage with the handle Hallucination and a human drone rigger named Nitro.
Also, same question: Is "succumbed" to the shadows code for "got killed" or for "got killed and is now inhabited by a vengeful Shedim?

So we two have a deal: Once we have resolved our current affairs we get back to you to help arrange a marriage and when that's done you give us the rest of the information I asked for.
That's good enough for me.
Al and Jackhammer, do you have conditions or a price you'd ask for this considerable risk? Likewise the rest of you, if you plan to participate in this undertaking, do you have questions or demands?"

Inquired Isaint.
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #246 on: <02-20-16/1429:45> »
"What you jist done asked, that's all I care 'bout, plus - if any of 'em's alive an' in bondage or some shit down here, then help with gittin' 'em out," answered Al, standing back up and eager to get back on the road.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #247 on: <02-20-16/2136:59> »
Robyn remains silent for the time being.  She is comfortable in Below, considering it her second home in London, and does not really appreciate the rancor displayed by ISaint towards The Old One, but she does not know the entire story.and this appears to be something that involves only three of the team directly.  She has heard the rumors about what happened, between the House of Flowers and the Overworlders, but those are just that, rumors, and anything that has been through more than one person is probably only partially true at best.  She puts a tag on the folder in her mind she has started for the members of the team; this is probably a story that should be asked about, if only to get more information. 
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #248 on: <02-22-16/0811:30> »
[Sunday July 5th, 2076; Approach to Nightside Market, London Below]

"I believe her soul was consumed by the shadow spirits inhabiting the Catacombs and that the Harlequinade ended her suffering, but you may ask them yourselves when you go to Nightside, they are still performing there.  It is unusual for them to stay in one place for so long so perhaps they are waiting for you?

We have an agreement, go, perform your mission and I will send my whisperers to you with details of our two lovers so that you can make the arrangements for them.  Your companion knows how to reach me if you need to, and I will be watching you..."

And with little more ceremony the figure is gone...

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #249 on: <02-22-16/0824:43> »
Isaint relaxed a bit, turned to the team and nodded once.
<<Well, that could have gone better - or worse. I apologize for pulling you into this, but I do want to find out what happened to the members of our previous group.
It will probably be best if we get a move on and keep our heavier weapons at hand from now on. Keep the formation - this "friendly" encounter could have easily been an ambush by the Druggies. So keep those respirators and gasmasks close at hand as well.

Jackhammer, I apologize for my curt reply, but talking about Iris might have endangered her if she went here under an alias.

Let's see if we can catch up with the Clowns. They have proved to be valuable allies if not a perfect deterrent against attacks.>>

talk think matrix

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #250 on: <02-23-16/1610:16> »
Halfpint relaxed his itchy trigger finger, hovering over the laser's VR trigger as it had for the past minute or so.
[colour=green]I'll take point, follow the big guy[/color]
[spoiler]halfpint is jumped into the steel lynx, the 10 noizquitos have been launched and are scouting ahead using the swarm program off the RCC for linked bonuses to perception checks. he's locked in the rigger coccoon of the tank-bike and the pilot is instructed to follow the team and use sensors to sweep area behind team for ambushes[/spoiler]
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #251 on: <02-24-16/0859:37> »
Isaint nodded and gave way to the large drone.
Without another word the trek moved again through the hostile underground environment.

Now he carried again his rifle on it's sling over his shoulder. To hell with the drummer disguise - Below had recognized them anyway within the first five minutes...
talk think matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #252 on: <02-24-16/1008:11> »
Robyn stays in her assigned place as the team begins moving forward.  She reaches down into the neck of her frock and pulls a small chunk of carved wood up by its braided leather cord, kissing it and murmuring something softly before putting it back inside her top next to her skin.  Feeling better, she moved forward with the rest, her mind half on what her drones are seeing and half on what The Old One really wants.  She sends a message.  >>Team.  Robyn.  I do not want to create issues where they might not exist, so please take my words with that in mind.  But in my experience in Below, I am not aware of The Old One taking an interest in something like this.  I am pretty sure that his plans go deeper that helping this couple out or even in evening out the power issues between the Houses.  I consider him a friend, but he has secrets that go beyond friendship.  Saying that, I am also pretty sure that we can maintain our band disguise as it is unlikely that he will have shared any information about us.  But I would urge caution in any case.<<
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #253 on: <02-24-16/1051:12> »
<<Thanks for the information. In my experience, master strategists never do anything without it having more than one purpose. If I had to guess this is more about preventing another house from gaining power than helping the poor Druggies.
Once we reach Nightside we can again pretend. But this conversation was more or less in public and we can't be sure we weren't overheard. So until we get to the market we'll display enough force to keep the natives on their toes.>>

« Last Edit: <02-24-16/1645:08> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #254 on: <02-25-16/1232:06> »
[Sunday July 5th, 2076; Nightside Market, London Below]

Another ten minutes or so of tense trekking though the abandoned subways tunnels and storm drains the sound of Nightside begins to assail you, followed not long after by the pungent aromas of food, unwashed metahumanity and a great many other scents, some less identifiable than others.  A moment to straighten your disguises once more and you are ready to proceed into the bustle of the final approach to the market…