NEWS

Shadowrun Middle East

• 9 Replies

Aristodeimos

• Newb
« on: <11-27-15/1804:21> »
New Shadowrun GM...played a little 4E, but diving into the deep end with 5E.

I'd like to create a megacorp in the Middle East called "The Kingdom".  Their elite guard would be teams called "The Janissaries", made up of illegal individuals that use magic or races other than human.

Am I breaking from any established Shadowrun fluff from the prior editions?  I can't seem to find what exactly happened to the major oil producing middle eastern nations.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <11-27-15/1851:27> »
6th world almanac has some write ups for the middle East... it's very small and to the point however.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <11-28-15/1158:58> »
There isn't much hard info on the middle east in the shadowlore. However, here's some of the basics AFAIK (and I'm sure others will correct me where I'm wrong):

When the Awakening happened, the Middle East cracked down hard on magic, thinking it an abomination, and that stance hasn't really changed over the last few decades. This coincides with the new jihadii movements, which resulted in a series of wars where the Islamic world invaded Europe (the Eurowars). Also, the bigwigs in Iran thought about calling for the extermination of all Awakened in the name of Allah, and the Great Dragon Aden displayed her displeasure with the notion by turning Tehran to ash. This, along with the actions of a little corp named Saeder-Krupp, are the main reason why dragons are absolutely HATED in the middle east.

Since then, there's been a pretty much constant level of religious nutjobbery, more or less fanatical depending where in the middle east and north Africa you go and when, but still big, and mostly unified. Well, they were, until the leader was revealed to be a Master Shedim who was intending to do some seriously bad things. So the whole area is just a hair's breadth from civil war, without even going into the deal with all the non-Muslim peoples, some of whom are under the implicit protection of Aden.

As far as corps go, S-K is the big player of the AAAs, but plenty of AAs and As in the area, mostly involved in the same fields corps are involved with over there today. Until recently, the 10,000 Daggers was the premier merc corp in the area (one of the big three in the world, actually), but they got smacked around with the events in Bogota recently, so they're reeling (and probably under some international sanctions). However, on the ground in the Middle East, you can bet that they're still the big name in town, and those that cross them tend to die horribly. It is safer doublecrossing a Mafia family, even the one that is run by the Bugs.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Stoneglobe

• Omae
  • Drug Addled Console Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: <11-28-15/1237:57> »
As I recall there was some minimal mention of Libya using chemical weapons on Israel and the Israelis responding with nukes in the core rules of 2nd edition so at least part of the Middle East must be a contaminated glass like wasteland.

Edited for Brainfart moment. Part of North Africa must be a contaminated glass like wasteland. Doh
« Last Edit: <11-28-15/1324:13> by Stoneglobe »
´Wonderful´, the Flatline said,´I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.´ - William Gibson, Neuromancer
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Aristodeimos

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-28-15/1415:09> »
Thank you all.  In addition to what you provided, I found just what I needed in the Corporate Enclaves book...Dubai! [Pages 114-116]

Religiously tolerant (by middle east standards), the Las Vegas of the middle east, and the travel hub between Europe and Asia.

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <11-30-15/2238:46> »
Of course, you as a GM can add (or subtract!) any AAA in your game. No Catalyst Labs Shadowrun HTR team is going to show up at your house. Mr. Black adds Arisaka (from Cyberpunk) to his game, for that evil Japanacorp feel. Plus all those cool gun illustrations! (Think Seburo from Appleseed) You can also change what you need. Mr. Black loves the Renraku Arcology, and so Deus struck in Boston (hate those guys!) And a AA could be as big as an AAA in the middle east-an AA expressing local/religious pride/principles could a major player there. And any corp with royal backing would have a huge leg up over even the biggest of players.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-01-15/1427:17> »
As long as your adding corps- don't forget Blue Sun.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-01-15/2038:28> »
New Shadowrun GM...played a little 4E, but diving into the deep end with 5E.

I'd like to create a megacorp in the Middle East called "The Kingdom".  Their elite guard would be teams called "The Janissaries", made up of illegal individuals that use magic or races other than human.

Am I breaking from any established Shadowrun fluff from the prior editions?  I can't seem to find what exactly happened to the major oil producing middle eastern nations.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Sounds like something that Global Sandstorm, which is the Caliphate-based AA megacorp, would do.

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <12-02-15/2214:28> »
Ah, yes Blue Sun. And Weyland-Yutani...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <12-02-15/2345:13> »
And Weyland-Yutani...
I thought that was Ares. They both crawl...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters