NEWS

7 Spells

• 8 Replies

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-24-15/2145:50> »
Mystic Adept, Magician or Sorcerer w/ Witness MY Hate and 7 Spell choices: what would you choose?
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

bdyer

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <11-24-15/2155:11> »
What a are you trying to build for?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-24-15/2220:13> »
Why 7 and not 10?

Anyway. Assuming you're the only caster:

Heal
Stunbolt
Ball Lightning
Improved Invisibility
Influence
Levitate
Chaotic World

Reasoning: healing is required. Direct to benefit from Witness My Hate and benefits from reagents. Indirect to kill drones. 3 utility spells. And arguably the best debuff in the game, which also benefits from reagents.

Honorable mentions:
Trid Phantasm - great utility
Hot Potato - drop your gun or suck!
Mana Barrier - saved my bacon versus spirits many times
Sterilize - not leaving evidence is good
Control Thoughts - make the guard do things he regrets then dose him with laes
Playability > verisimilitude.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-25-15/0047:37> »
What a are you trying to build for?

someone posted that life builds couldn't do a proper aspected mage- i was just playing around and ended up w/a pixie that has magic rating 5, Sorcery SG 7 Arcana 5 Assensing 7 Astral Combat 4 Log 7(10) [Used Cerebral Booster 3] Wil 7  and reasonably had enough karma for 7 spells.

Just a mental exercise- but since I haven't played spellcasters I was wondering what people thought were the 'go-to' spells
« Last Edit: <11-25-15/0054:39> by gradivus »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-25-15/0153:54> »
Whiskeyjack's base list is solid.

Personally, I would swap in Physical Mask or Trid Phantasm for Improved Invisibility, especially if you're a pixie since you can fall back on Concealment.

I would also pick up Magic Fingers, likely at the expense of Chaotic World, but it's a spell that can be incredibly useful (or not useful at all) depending on the situations you find yourself in. But, as a pixie, your strength will be extremely limited, so it might be nice to have a source of Strength for situations where Levitate isn't suitable to what you're trying to accomplish.

You could argue that Levitate is less relevant, given that pixies can fly, but it's super-nice to be able to levitate your teammates, as well as heavy objects that are well outside of a pixie's Strength range.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-25-15/0224:52> »
Whiskeyjack's base list is solid.

Personally, I would swap in Physical Mask or Trid Phantasm for Improved Invisibility, especially if you're a pixie since you can fall back on Concealment.

I would also pick up Magic Fingers, likely at the expense of Chaotic World, but it's a spell that can be incredibly useful (or not useful at all) depending on the situations you find yourself in. But, as a pixie, your strength will be extremely limited, so it might be nice to have a source of Strength for situations where Levitate isn't suitable to what you're trying to accomplish.

You could argue that Levitate is less relevant, given that pixies can fly, but it's super-nice to be able to levitate your teammates, as well as heavy objects that are well outside of a pixie's Strength range.

Yeah 1 str.. bah humbug
but at least this character doesn't have to worry about the silly look of trying to fire a Predator V

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #6 on: <11-25-15/0820:46> »
I'd swap out Opium Den for Chaotic World personally, just for the lulz and incapacitation chance.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-25-15/0942:18> »
Ugh, totally forgot about Physical Mask somehow.

I'd swap out Opium Den for Chaotic World personally, just for the lulz and incapacitation chance.
You haven't lived until you've basically made a car's dog-brain go insane with Chaotic World.
Playability > verisimilitude.

bdyer

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-25-15/1003:06> »
I personally would go with tEcu and get magic fingers.  Depending on your build, it could take the place of levitate or ball lightning (buy some old school pin grenades as well to keep aoe damage.)