NEWS

Customized Drugs... WTH?

• 20 Replies

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« on: <07-01-15/1403:43> »
4th time rewriting this entire post since every time I change WiFi locations or go back to my phone it deletes itself which is definitely NOT improving my Attitude!!!!!

#1 There's missing Text to accompany the Table provided on pg 192. The Table has * under Addiction Threshold & Addiction Rating but nothing to explain the *. This is easily fixed with an Errata about it. I thought I had figured out what the Modifiers were from the Example provided but after a closer reexamination now I'm less certain. The Availability Modifiers which are provided don't conform to the Table, so I'm not sure what is supposed to be there. The Table lists them by Blocks (per level) but then doesn't incorporate the levels into the Availability. In the Example provided the Availability is stated as 10R but if using it on a (per level) basis than the Availability should be 15R not 10R. So I might have the right numbers but they wouldn't conform to the Table either since they'd be a flat modifier based on Level not per level as the Table says. All in all very confusing... here are the number I deduced for a sense of completeness.
Blocks     AR.   AT
Level 1     +0   +0
Level 2     +1   +1
Level 3     +2  +2

But that's treating all Blocks the same which the Table clearly doesn't for Availability Modifiers between Blocks 1-8 & Blocks 9-13. So who knows.... I surely dont.

#1a This is also an easy enough issue to fix with an Errata... it doesn't say if the Grade of Drugs is already factored into the Addiction Threshold. If so then they started the Foundation at 3, which is what Kamikaze & Cram are. I can get Kamikaze at Pharmaceutical Grade with an Addiction Threshold of 2 which is easy as anything to hit since any character taking it would be throwing a minimum of 8 dice at it, Cram is the same. So definitely a vastly superior option since making a custom drug would be LETHAL to achieve the same effect.

1#b another easy Errata issue... Are these Drugs Psychological, Physiological, or Both??? It doesn't say.

#1c The base vector is Ingestion but one of the Enhancers is Ingestion Ingestion. Errata this to figure out what the Base Vector is.

#2 This is the real issue... Did whoever designed these Custom Drug Rules even READ the Addiction Rules??? Cause I can't believe that they did & still thought this was acceptable! The Addiction Threshold is 8 & Addiction Rating is 10 in the Example given, That's LETHAL!!!!! Who can throw enough dice to consistently hit a minimum Threshold of 7 using Attributes every other week? Taking this Drug once is all it takes and even fighting it will still have Wrecker Burned Out in 2 months & Dead inside 6 months after burning Attributes to 0. That is not usable gear when it kills you within 6 months, especially since it is presented as a poor man's alternative to 'ware. These drugs are supposed to be used on runs all the time.

This requires a complete overhaul of either these Rules or the Addiction Rules or Both before they become playable. I'd like Both to be the option since the base Addiction Rules are already kinda wonky & confusing. So instead of clarification we just got Lethality added under these rules.

3# more Lethality added here as well.... the Drug Interaction Table is no ones friend! Before it was that you couldn't use the same drug twice or any drugs that boosted the same Attributes without taking Stun Damage. Seems fair,  now it's 1d6 for every Drug past the first. Which means just using Stimm & Trauma Patches can get not nice, taking any drugs & then using a Stimm/Trauma Patch in combat can quickly become Lethal as well. So this makes using a Cram/Psyche cocktail iffy but then adding a Stimm patch makes it terrifying since that can straight out kill you or knock you unconscious immediately which would require another Stimm Patch to wake up from with another +1d6 that almost killed you the first time. So much Fail is happening here I have no idea how it got out of Play testing... if the goal is make people not do drugs, just don't include them don't make them Lethal to use. This Drug Interaction Table needs to just be deleted and go back to the Core Rules.
« Last Edit: <07-02-15/2003:44> by I_AM_ZHOUL!!! »

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-15/1409:36> »
***Diverts all power to shields***

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-15/1416:25> »
***Sets phasers to kill***

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-15/1424:37> »
***Begins Evasive Maneuvers***
***Starts loading drones into the scatter pack***
***Starts assigning boarding parties to guard duty***

+1 Internets to whoever gets those references...

HarshRhettoric

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-01-15/1450:23> »
Where's the rant? I have been sitting at my car dealership for three hours on this, the fourth day of what should have taken an afternoon when I bought the thing AND THERE IS NO RANT.

I swear, thes namby pamby half-posts are the death of America as a player on the world stage. They kill my sense of of entitlement, kill the game of Shadowrun, kill Christmas and they kill me. That's right, Zhoul, you have killed Christmas AND a fellow player. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? I WAS PROMISED A RANT!
Have you ever had a dream where you were standing on a pyramid in sort-of sun god robes with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing pickles at you?

Why am I the only one that has that dream?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-01-15/1506:06> »
I just played with the thought to post a challenge to build the best combat drug a master chemist runner could think of (Bonus points if you can replicate an example from fiction like the Mr. Hyde drug)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #6 on: <07-01-15/1524:01> »
::Waits patiently for rant::

I don't forsee them being Missions legal.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #7 on: <07-01-15/1541:18> »
***Yawns***

Because he's been harping on the same damn thing all bloody day.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #8 on: <07-01-15/1740:28> »
***Senses either a locked thread, banhammer usage or both incoming***
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-02-15/2327:07> »
***Diverts all power to shields***

Did the shields hold?

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #10 on: <07-02-15/2327:22> »
...sleazing grid...
...searching for drug rant from the zhul...
...no drug rants found containing zhul...
...using Ares Fuzzy Logic tm version 2074.15 free version...
Consider trying Ares's new line of browsing software. Only 250¥!
...searching...
...searching...
...15,000 entries for Zoo drug interactions found...
...Continue Search? N
...upgrade Fuzzy Logic
...upgrading Ares Fuzzy Logic...
...downloading...
...Upgrade to Ares Fuzzy Logic Pro complete. 250¥ charged to your Ares CreditPro account...
...Annual subscription service activated...
...cancel Fuzzy Logic subscription
If you cancel your subscription, your software will revert to the free version. Are you sure?...
...n
Subscription not canceled.
...searching...
...search for Zhoul instead? Y
Rant found at: (where?)
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-03-15/0005:01> »
::Waits patiently for rant::

I don't forsee them being Missions legal.

If they threw out the Drug Interaction Table also... that'd be great.

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <07-03-15/0233:39> »
...sleazing grid...
...searching for drug rant from the zhul...
...no drug rants found containing zhul...
...using Ares Fuzzy Logic tm version 2074.15 free version...
Consider trying Ares's new line of browsing software. Only 250¥!
...searching...
...searching...
...15,000 entries for Zoo drug interactions found...
...Continue Search? N
...upgrade Fuzzy Logic
...upgrading Ares Fuzzy Logic...
...downloading...
...Upgrade to Ares Fuzzy Logic Pro complete. 250¥ charged to your Ares CreditPro account...
...Annual subscription service activated...
...cancel Fuzzy Logic subscription
If you cancel your subscription, your software will revert to the free version. Are you sure?...
...n
Subscription not canceled.
...searching...
...search for Zhoul instead? Y
Rant found at: (where?)

He edited his opening post.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-03-15/0615:06> »
***Begins Evasive Maneuvers***
***Starts loading drones into the scatter pack***
***Starts assigning boarding parties to guard duty***

+1 Internets to whoever gets those references...

Starfleet Battles! There were also a series of video games based off of that game's mechanics (Starfleet Command).
« Last Edit: <07-06-15/0318:13> by Dinendae »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <07-06-15/0229:38> »
What a great game. (SFB).

Have 3 of the boxed sets for table top and I have played all 3 computer games.

<As for the topic>

Remember boys and girls, Nancy Reagan says: "Don't do drugs!"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.