NEWS

Gaming Horror stories

• 127 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #75 on: <09-14-10/1714:07> »
Oh, the Corp/IS House descriptions are well worth it alone.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <09-14-10/1728:53> »
We have it too. Dad and I were in tears laughing. ONE of these days I'm going to make him try and run it.

And my staple really is anything over 85 tons with a gauss or a PPC. I'm easy to please. If I really have my choice the Battlemaster's my favorite ride; Marauder and -specifically- Dad's Stone Rhino variant are tied for very close seconds. Be thankful if you can talk me into anything under 70-75.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #77 on: <09-14-10/2041:41> »
I have a slew of horror stories, but they all revolve around one player. So I guess I really don't have more than one story as much as I have experience with one particular horrific player.

He was a munchkin to the Nth degree, the type that would min/max the hell out of his character, complain and throw an adult tantrum and sulk if he wasn't better than every other character at everything, and would generally bring game to a crashing halt if he didn't always get his way. I won't even mention what happened when he almost died once. He would whine and complain and argue with the GM non-stop until he could do whatever it was he wanted to do if he was told no. He always played the exact same character in every game. Same name, meta-type, load-out etc. Got to be really old after a while. Unfortunately he was just really too much to deal with outside of game and so we eventually just stopped playing with him. Now that we are restarting up the group (without him), the games are going much smoother and are way more fun. Go figure.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <09-14-10/2103:31> »
^I'm a bit scared we have a player that might turn out to be that. :/ I hope not. I sure's hell like him as a person but I don't quite like the vibe I'm getting off of him at the table. He's trying to make his character TOO perfect (then again, I'm great at making mine too flawed >_>;; ).
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #79 on: <09-15-10/0105:25> »
^I'm a bit scared we have a player that might turn out to be that. :/ I hope not. I sure's hell like him as a person but I don't quite like the vibe I'm getting off of him at the table. He's trying to make his character TOO perfect (then again, I'm great at making mine too flawed >_>;; ).

Ah, the curse of the role player ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #80 on: <09-15-10/1006:51> »
(OK, LAM's are cool and all, but waaaaaaayyyy broken.)

If you get a chance, take a look at the rules in the printed 3085 Record Sheet book. They're quick-start for LAMs, so it's only combat. But you'll see that the changes in how they're run in the game mechanics.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #81 on: <09-15-10/1031:14> »

Role Player and Psych Major. I love crazies.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #82 on: <09-15-10/1033:47> »
The problem I see is trying to be the best and forgetting that getting there is most of the fun! I'm statistically the best I can get, Min/Max I believe, I wanted a brute force I made Usda one, but I have lots of room to grow in skills.

Where's the fun if your character can already shoot the wings off a fly. Talk a Dragon into working for you, and have all the CEOs as contacts?
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #83 on: <09-15-10/1035:17> »

Awwww I love you too sweety!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #84 on: <09-15-10/1035:23> »
(OK, LAM's are cool and all, but waaaaaaayyyy broken.)

If you get a chance, take a look at the rules in the printed 3085 Record Sheet book. They're quick-start for LAMs, so it's only combat. But you'll see that the changes in how they're run in the game mechanics.
Don't have the money for that at the moment.  So unless it's free, it will be a while before I can take a look at that.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <09-15-10/1043:59> »
The problem I see is trying to be the best and forgetting that getting there is most of the fun! I'm statistically the best I can get, Min/Max I believe, I wanted a brute force I made Usda one, but I have lots of room to grow in skills.

Where's the fun if your character can already shoot the wings off a fly. Talk a Dragon into working for you, and have all the CEOs as contacts?

Which is why I'm making Code more bottom-of-the-barrel. He's done little itty bitty gang jobs here and there so he's not a TOTAL noob but he may as well be. I don't see anything wrong with taking a role and specializing in it. You're the tank. You're supposed to have muscle tissue for a brain. You're not trying to make your character smart and pretty and dexterous too. He's really good at breaking shit. I'm above average at sneaking into and running away from things. Mr. Face is trying to be sent from God. It's irritating me and I don't know how to snap at him for it without sounding like I'm taking it personally since, well, you know me. XD

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #86 on: <09-15-10/1107:40> »
Well there is only 4 of us. Best way to teach sometimes is to standback and let the bullets fly into the almighty. Once they're dead and asky why didn't you back me up. You reply, "Looked like you had the situation under control to me!

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #87 on: <09-15-10/1133:50> »

Remind me to let you invite me to a one-shot if I'm ever in your area, I think we would get along great. And leave lots and lots of shitlessly scared people in our way ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #88 on: <09-15-10/1135:40> »

Remind me to let you invite me to a one-shot if I'm ever in your area, I think we would get along great. And leave lots and lots of shitlessly scared people in our way ;D

:D!

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #89 on: <09-15-10/1137:17> »

Remind me to let you invite me to a one-shot if I'm ever in your area, I think we would get along great. And leave lots and lots of shitlessly scared people in our way WAKE;D
Kay I fixed that for ya Doc ;D