NEWS

Gaming Horror stories

• 127 Replies

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #105 on: <09-16-10/1331:13> »
I never really got the BTRPG rules. Just straight wargaming here really. I mean, we had backstory and our own companies/units/commanders but I mean they weren't really used as people. Just run the mechs, roll the dice, and blow some shit up.

There was a lot more in-character stuff going on with the other members of our group but most of it was way too much accounting and I just couldn't be bothered with learning it at the time. At battletech, I'm way more of a "just give me my sheets, point me in the direction of the bad guys, let me know if there's anything I probably shouldn't shoot at, shut up and let me roll." I also tend to play my units more like turrets (really, how much maneuvering can you get with a 3-5 move rate?) and just pick a good spot where I could see a lot of people and preferably had my back covered, park, and alpha strike all day. We had a couple players that would just be dicks and run away from EVERYTHING (and I'm saying at the planning stage). <whine>They didn't want to put their units out in harm's way!</whine>

It's kinda sad when a preteen/teen girl was telling 30-50 year old men to stop being cowards and just play the damn game.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #106 on: <09-17-10/1133:52> »
Don't have the money for that at the moment.  So unless it's free, it will be a while before I can take a look at that.

Your FLGS charges you to flip through books? ;)
The FLGS sells WH40K and M:TG firstly and also caters to the video game crowd (consoles LANed up, lotta PC's, etc.) with only a handful of RPG books.  Very sad.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #107 on: <09-17-10/1151:59> »
Don't have the money for that at the moment.  So unless it's free, it will be a while before I can take a look at that.

Your FLGS charges you to flip through books? ;)
The FLGS sells WH40K and M:TG firstly and also caters to the video game crowd (consoles LANed up, lotta PC's, etc.) with only a handful of RPG books.  Very sad.
That is very sad. You need to make a trip up to The Source up here in Minneapolis. They have a very extensive collection, including a lot of older out-of-print books. Why, I just recently saw two copies of the FR "Grey Box" still in its shrink wrap for $25 each.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #108 on: <09-17-10/1154:37> »
If you want to talk about BattleTech RPG, I'll tell you the time I was getting into the main spaceport in Solaris City, on the Solaris VII Game World.

There was a multi-party game run by Herb Beas at GenCon when it was still in Milwaukee. It was started when 3rd Edition came out and it became a staple for a number of years. In that game I played a Capellan Death Commando (some of the best SpecOps guys in the game). I wasn't sneaking into the spaceport, rather I was traveling quietly trying to get into the city. As it turned out, members of the other parties in the group started some trouble. When security at the spaceport started locking things down I wanted nothing to do with that. I figured the best way to get out of there was to use the skills I trained and developed.

Did I tell you I was trained to cause pain, death, and destruction?

I ended up meeting with the other member in my party, another Capellan. The character was a Maskrovka agent, the secret police/traditional spy counterpart to my commando character. After finding a quiet room to change into my armor and gear up we started making our way over to the diplomatic wing. We changed our goal of making it out of the spaceport over to making it to the diplomatic mission located on the spaceport. As we made it around the now-deserted spaceport we ended up making contact with a couple of security guards. More than rent-a-cops, but less than full-on MPs. We decided to swing around close and take them on at very close range. This would allow us to maintain the element of surprise, giving us a chance to neutralize them before they could get on their radios. And just to sweeten the pot a little bit more we could see the signage to the entrance of the diplomatic wing. It was time to adjust our plan, to go from maximum speed to maximum damage and shock them into submission (note that we considered death to be submission).

I plastered myself against a rather large column and inched my way around to see if I could see the guards. Sadly, they saw me and proceeded to plaster themselves around the same column. So I motioned to my partner that I wanted her to take her two microgrenades and pitch them around the column, so I could follow up with my pistols.

*click* *click*

*toss* *toss*

*boom* *boom*

What, you were expecting a *BOOM* or even a *ka-BOOM*? These were microgrenades, and we were in a rather open area. These were going to damage, I was going to finish off.

So I swung around the column, drew from my cross-draw holsters, pointed my pistols at each of the two guards and declared to Herb that I was going to shoot each of them. He totaled up the modifiers and then asked me what my pistols skill was. I looked at my sheet.

I looked over my sheet again.

I studied my sheet for 30-45 seconds.

"I don't have the pistol skill."

"What do you mean, you don't have the pistol skill? You're a Death Commando, it should be there."

So we pause to grab the book and go over the Life Paths for a minute to find the skill that I obviously overlooked. And to our surprise...Capellan commandos don't learn how to use a pistol. Nor is it taught in boot. Nor AIT. If you want to be a Death Commando and be able to use a pistol you have to learn it on your old time.

So now I faced a choice: take the penalty for untrained skill use, or do something dramatic. Being a gamer I went with dramatic. My action for the rest of the turn was to drop my pistols and move to my backup weapon, a vibrosword. But I was told that I would have to wait to the next turn to get it ready. Not a big deal I thought, so I went along with it. Of course being told that by the GM meant I was going to have to go along with it.

Next turn rolls around and I announce I'm going to try to use a draw cut on the guy in front of me, and continue the motion to attack the guy to the side of him. I get the modifiers, this time I do have the skill so I make my two rolls. A success on the first one with some open-ended rolling gave me a great damage roll, enough to permanently cripple his right hand (also known as his gun hand). The other guy...at least I didn't crit fail the attack roll. His response was three quick pulls of the trigger, close enough that he would have to be Helbie to miss.

Herb is not Helbie.

I took a bullet to my sword arm, another one to the opposite leg, and one to the belly. The limb hits were penetrating hits, each of which fractured a bone in the limbs struck. My armor stopped the third shot, but it still hurt like a bitch. My partner came around and using the hand cannon they favored (a Sternshot pistol for those of you playing from home) she proceeded to have her character inspect each of the brain pans with a lead probe. She then grabbed a people mover cart, threw my gear on the seat next to her, threw my broken body on the rear bench, and drove *through* the gate in the diplomatic section and up to the Capellan mission. She picked up my gear bag with one hand, threw me over her opposite shoulder, and walked to the front of the line at the desk. I was rather unceremonously flopped onto the top of the counter so I could look the now shocked woman manning that desk in the eyes. I locked eyes with her and said: "You need to get the senior diplomat out of whatever meeting he's in and into his office, where he will meet with my partner and me. You will then call whatever passes as a medic in this facilty to that same office so he can plug up the holes in me." When the first thing to come out of her mouth was shocked blubbering I asked to have my bag put on her desk, then with my good arm opened it to show the rather impressive sniper rifle I had with me. The model is a Minolta 9000, the signature weapon of the Death Commandos. That shocked her out of her stupor and got me what I wanted.

Still one of my favorite gaming cock-ups, and always a great story to tell. Too bad I can't show you how I tell the story in person, it's always fun to replay the movements to a small audience.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #109 on: <09-17-10/1155:36> »

Indeed. Sounds like you need to see if your local Demo Agent will be willing to run some BattleTech along with Shadowrun (or get two Agents in the area).
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #110 on: <09-18-10/0738:54> »
Peter I've been gaming since 1979! That has to be the best character SNAFU I have EVER heard. thank you for sharing it... Two Gun! ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #111 on: <09-18-10/1649:20> »
When you don't have a cooking skill, and you are trying to infiltrate a Kurita state dinner as a cook, best to stay away from the fish courses.

"How was I supposed to know it was blowfish!?"

"You killed the ambassador and started an international incident!"

"Come on, who heard of serving fish that can kill you!"

"You're fired."

The end of a promising Davion officer's SpecOp career.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: <09-18-10/1859:00> »
One time, a poor GM had to run a game with me and Bull as his players.  Poor bastard
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #113 on: <09-19-10/0828:45> »
Ok, a SR game, something that I came up with when my own players almost outsmarted me.

Long story short, said team of Runners was breaking into an Ares owned warehourse to boost some specific goodies. The rigger's van got shot to hell when a roaving KE patrol unit got suspicious and the rigger got into a high speed running firefight (but managed to escape) and back leaving said team stranded inside the warehouse without transportation or extraction. But, being the resourseful types, they decide to steal a van. Now, forgive me but I dont remember the van type, as this game happened about 12 years ago. They all made their checks for stealth (and came up for a decent plan of getting out) and for the Street Sam to hotwire the new van that was parked in the loading docks. I tried to use the noise of the engine to alert the sec forces, but then the rigger PC pointed out that the model van they were boosting was electric and therefore argued that the noise would be nill. I decided to to let it slide to avoid another rules lawyer session and slow the game; they tossed a few high fives and begin to put their escape plan into action. Being this was a warehouse van, a company vehicle, and after the Sam said "I back out of the parking space" I had a thought and immediately started going "BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP!!!" The group was like, "No way we tripped an alarm! Chilly (the decker) has the alarms wired!". I replied "No, but you forgot about the backup warning alarm on the van. Safety first in a loading dock, right?"

;)

A few security teams and couple of combat drones later, the team was having a nice "chat" with the local KE Sec Chief.

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #114 on: <09-19-10/1534:33> »
Don't try to game on cold meds.

Or sleeping pills.

Just don't.

I fell asleep last night while Doom was running Dad and I through our first SR demo during dad's turn (I was stunned for 4 rounds) and when they got my attention again the room was spinning. o_0;;

Then the cold meds related incident was just me running some light mech off the map or a cliff or something because I'm not entirely sure my brain came with me to the convention or if it stayed in bed trying to recover from whatever bug I was trying to ignore. I couldn't even tell you what con it was, let alone the year. XD
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: <09-21-10/1637:02> »
Since I mentione it in another thread... the "pacifist" Phys Ad story!

So we had been playing Missions (Denver) in our local gaming shop for a few weeks, and had a mix of people droping in on the games.  So when the new guy came in with his ready character, we thought nothing of it.  Dwarven Phys Ad, some stealth, some negotiation, a pacifist.  Sounded OK to us.  I don't remember which Mission it was, but it involved getting in and out of a Doc Wagon facility.

So our team medic happens to be ex-Doc Wagon, and has some stacked contacts fo this (and happens to be the acting face as well).  Well during the planning the new guy decides we shoul try and get in as employees.  We think, "hey, good plan" and the medic begins calling his contacts.  The PhysAd gts a bit bored with this and decides to go on his own to case the joint.  He insists that his stealthy ways are best when he goes alone...so we let it slide.

Well during his overnight watch, we land access codes tha were put on an ambulance that was going to be out of service for the day. I get on programming it in my ride, and we try and call the PhysAd for pickup.  He tells us "I wouldn't have given you my code... I don't know you well enough". Ok, whatever, hopefully he'll see us riding in.  Our ride in looks set; so the gm turns to the PhysAd and starts doing some work to get him inside with us.

Well, the PhysAd walks through the door and starts requesting service from the troll nurse who is working the desk.  He ties to fast talk his way in... some roleplaying ensues, and the GM asks for a SIN, and a Con roll... the Ad glitches the test.  The gm response with "that SIN is one number short... what's the last number?"  At that point the guy says "I punch her in the throat!"  ??? and we all give "the look".  The GM asks if he undestands the pacifist trait... he says yes; that he's backed in a corner and has to fight his way out now.

In the end, our team couldn't have asked for better distractions to get around the facility.  He ends up running all over the Doc Wagon facility, then breaks in on a ritual healing, decides that the shaman with the obsidian knife is a threat as well, kills him and continues to rampage all throughout the place.  We slip in and out while this is gong on, and then he tries to call us for a pickup to getout of the place.  We left him, and never saw him return to the tables at that gaming shop.  Hopefully none of you will ever hve to meet him at your tables!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #116 on: <09-21-10/1646:17> »
I got a horror story for ya...

I was in this town, just for a weekend, so I dropped in on their local gaming store `cuz I had this awesome character rolled up and they had Missions going on. So I sit down with my wizzer dwarven PhysAd ...

:D :D :D Great story Caine!

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #117 on: <09-22-10/1147:39> »
Pacifist/Pacify. all works out in the end. Our player Codac seems his Dice want him to be a Pacifist! I seen him roll 20ish dice for damage all night last night. with usually no more than 3 successes! Yet he rolls almost 10 successes for damage. ;D
« Last Edit: <09-22-10/1338:33> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #118 on: <09-22-10/1228:57> »
^ That's also why I got a new set of dice. My whip kept doing that. I switched dice and I actually managed to kill a couple guys last night.

My damn white and clear dice betrayed me. T_T I loved those dice, too!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #119 on: <09-22-10/1304:13> »
^ That's also why I got a new set of dice. My whip kept doing that. I switched dice and I actually managed to kill a couple guys last night.

My damn white and clear dice betrayed me. T_T I loved those dice, too!
Maybe they just don't like Shadowrun. I know some of my dice don't like certain systems.

Register