NEWS

Gaming Horror stories

• 127 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #60 on: <09-13-10/0806:48> »
Best scene from a game of Paranoia:

Referee:  You are all travelling single file down the long hallway.  Suddenly the lights go out

Player at the back of the line:  I STAB HIM IN THE BACK!!
I had the same thing happen at a con when were all playing AD&D Drow. ;D

^ That is the way to do it.

I did have to remind my DM several times that he was gaming in MY HOUSE. He threatened to throw me out of the party many a time to you know, keep it down, keep players in line, get back on topic, stop being an ass to my friend. When he ignored me I took it into my own hands and started barking orders at the rest of the party to get their acts together. He'd tell me I was out of the party for starting fights and I'd tell him then he needed to get out of my house. That shut him up.
Yup thats the way to do it. DM has authority at any game. Unless The host isn't the DM. I had an argument with the same DM. I trumped him cause when he tried to banHammer a player, I announced the game was over! Got that funny look from the DM you know  :o. Then I said. Yeah you run the game, BUT it's MY house! For me as A DM if the party was side tracking to much, I'd waylay the most guilty (in my eyes) with the DMG upside the head. Chaotix was not exempt either :-*
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #61 on: <09-13-10/1446:18> »
This is a gaming horror story of my own making. The party was playing a Campaign' Redhand of Doom IIRC. and one of the players wanted to be a Mage/Half dragon. I asked if she would like to play the Prestige class thats evolves into a Half Dragon as her starting class. She said sure. Then I asked her if she was willing to be the Daughter of Tiamat? Understand I did this cause it was the band of goofballs that couldn't pay attention. So as the game progressed and the party got closer to the end. Our entrepid players didn't ever notice that the character stayed more than 60' away from the evil detecting character all the time. Well she was after all evolving into a half Red Dragon right? Well as the party was breaking into the Red Hands stronghold The cromatics started acting "funny". As in when the 1/2 Dragon yelled for this dragon to 'Get back here!' The Dragon flew back and bowed before her! The party was stunned but more interested in how some new Prestige class from a new book stacked up against the others.

Now Chaotix knew about the transformation. You know how girls talk! Oh and my old buddy that joined the party late... he saw there was something going on and stayed close to the 1/2 dragon (good survival instincts in that one). When Tiamat's avatar showed up and addressed her daughter... The  boys in hte party just handed over their sheets knowing they were beat!
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/1447:49> by Usda Beph »

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #62 on: <09-13-10/1509:56> »
OK, another Battletech one, because... well, because that's what I feel like posting.

So I had this long-running mercenary campaign. Whole thing was from scratch- they'd select one of four or five contracts that I'd write up, and each one had different employers, time of contract, type of missions, pay, bonuses, etc... and to my dismay, I totally biffed their salvage rules- they were pretty much treating the game like a shopping trip after a while, and by my own rules I'd hosed myself- soon they were running ridiculously tricked-out gear. And I was mad- mostly at myself, but it was easier to take it out on them.

So they took a job that involved finding a stolen short-range ballistic missile carrier (basically a Scud) that had been hidden in a shipyard somewhere. There were fourteen warehouses, and each one was on the map as a 3D paper building. And on the inside of each one was written what was in the building. The players had to stand a Mech next to a building for one full turn to scan it. It might be something random, like 'fruit' or 'lingerie' (hah!), might be the Scud, might be a booby trap, might even be an enemy unit- which could immediately open fire on the scanning unit at point blank range.

So, the defending units savaged one of the players Mechs (a Marauder, for those who know what I'm talking about), and it backed off a bit- but as the defenders got pushed back, they began using the Marauder as an inspector, avoiding combat and just checking buildings. I was gleeful- I was going to end that bastard's day. Because he walked right up to a building to inspect it, and I knew what building that was.

For those who know Battletech, they'll already be laughing- or cringing- when I say 'Demolisher II'. For those not familiar, imagine an old WWII heavy cruiser's gun turret, but put on treads. Two massive cannons, and a pair of machine guns to back them up. At this range, I need to roll a 4 or better on both cannons. It's bliss.

...and I missed with both. Even jammed the Ultra cannon. The MGs did pretty much nothing, and the Marauder blasted the tank into next week.

Now, that was NOT what I had in mind. I even had to walk away from the table for a while and calm down because I was so damned angry. I finally had a chance to punish the bastards, and failed miserably. Naturally, with my big surprise trashed without even going out with a whimper, the mercs won the day easily.

...and left me with a burning fire for revenge, which I administered several weeks later. But that post is for another time...
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/1514:49> by Jadehellbringer »
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #63 on: <09-13-10/1518:23> »
Okay, it's not a horror story, but in light of Jade's BT story, I gotta share what happened at a Solaris Free-for-all I participated in about 3 months back.

Basically, everyone got to 'draft' four mechs from a limited supply. Much like other drafts, the later choices were not as good as the first round. But they were good to help 'soften up' some mechs so they were easier to kill with your better choice.

Anyway, I had an old 3025 Griffin as my bottom of the barrel. I was having a ball, so he came in second, after my first mech bit the dust. As he came in, he ran along the wall, then up a Level 1 platform. Unfortunately, I moved before the Daishi Widowmaker -- and he proceeded to come up right behind me, literally the hex right at my back. Thinking he's got an easy kill, he does a complete alpha strike (fires all his weapons, heat be damned!) right into my rear back armor (for those not in the know, this is the weakest place on a mech).

And misses me completely. Every shot. I never saw so many 2D6 rolls come up 2 and 3 in my life.

Of course, the Griffin didn't last much longer (another two rounds), but I'll never forget the look of sheer agony on the guys face as he missed with everything. Still makes me smile. ;D

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <09-13-10/2104:50> »
Gencon 08 I think it was.

I got a coupon from Cat Labs out of pity for going the whole game (I think it was 11 rounds) without hitting a single thing... only to break the losing streak by critting myself in the head with falling damage.

... Those dice got thrown out.

Dad can one-up me though (and it's just chaotic XD The x is just a spacer).
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #65 on: <09-14-10/0759:21> »
Battletech horror story of my own... I lost Initative.

FOR A WHOLE YEAR.
If I didn't lose on the first roll I tied. and we'd reroll, then I'd loose. I personally could not win an init roll to save my forces! :'(

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #66 on: <09-14-10/0828:55> »
Ok, sinse we are on the topic of tech, I got a quick one.

I was a newb Tech player, gettng ready for my second game ever at a local shop. I get handed TRO3025 and am told to pick my mech. Having had success in my first game with a Phoenix Hawk (a good light design). Now, I notice that everyone ELSE is using the newer TRO books with much more advanced designs. For you non-tech players, this is he equivilent of being issued a six shooter and going up against a Panther Cannon. Not only to I get smeared, but I get pretty much insulted the entire time becaue I "suck". Never mind all my target numbers to hit were suspiciously 10+ whilmy opponents needed arund like 6 or 7 and the explination for this kept changing.

Needles to say, I almost didnt come back to tech. But I met my current group and learned the ways o' tech. Revenge against at least one came later at another game at a different shop. One of the guys who stomped me was there. I also had another fist that day, my first ammo det with, you guessed, a P-hawk. His Zeus went up like a roman candle from my little old large laser's hit through the back.

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #67 on: <09-14-10/0942:34> »
Mystic, you played against idiots. To insult someone for picking a solid staple lvl one Mech shows their ignorance. Not to mention that the BV should have tipped in your favor for P/G scores. I'd have taken a Pheonix Hawk too. It's a darn good Mech. ;)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #68 on: <09-14-10/1535:20> »
Mystic, you played against idiots. To insult someone for picking a solid staple lvl one Mech shows their ignorance. Not to mention that the BV should have tipped in your favor for P/G scores. I'd have taken a Pheonix Hawk too. It's a darn good Mech. ;)

Yeah, they were itiots. This was the classic "mess with the newb" senerio with no use of BV and "set" Pilot/Gunnery ratings. And they didn't insult the mech, it was the player. But yeah, the P-Hawk is pretty much my de-facto favorite Mech.

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #69 on: <09-14-10/1541:36> »
LAM versions are crazy nutso potent.  It's insane how powerful those things are.  No wonder they dropped them from the line.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #70 on: <09-14-10/1546:33> »
LAM versions are crazy nutso potent.  It's insane how powerful those things are.  No wonder they dropped them from the line.
*cough*They're back*cough*

Turns out the WoBBies WERE crazy... ;)

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #71 on: <09-14-10/1626:17> »
Oh...oh God!

ARE THEY MAD??

(OK, LAM's are cool and all, but waaaaaaayyyy broken.)
There is no overkill.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #72 on: <09-14-10/1647:23> »
Oh...oh God!

ARE THEY MAD??

Duh... They're WoBBies!!  ::)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #73 on: <09-14-10/1708:25> »
Oh...oh God!

ARE THEY MAD??

Duh... They're WoBBies!!  ::)

You mean the "Legion of the Bats--t Insane"? hehehe, for anyone who is a tech and SR fan, check out Battlerun, a spoof that combines you guessed it: Battletech AND Shadowrun.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #74 on: <09-14-10/1709:37> »
I saw that.

Oddly, it looked like it might be fun.
There is no overkill.