NEWS

[5e IC] Circles of Power [2076 Game Thread]

• 1361 Replies

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #540 on: <07-17-15/1650:16> »
As Solo finished with the searches, his mouth was dry he took another beer and said... "Al buddy... how about trying to fix that van of yours. I don't know much about fixing stuff but Nitro seemed interested... I bet he has already started. The dude seems very energetic...  and I'd totally like to learn a little bit, just in case one of my drones ever survive a hit... Are you sober enough for the gig?"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #541 on: <07-17-15/1718:43> »
Isaint looked up and showed Jackhammer a wry smile:
"I know the feeling. But don't worry, professional military is usually not all that bad to deal with. They are fairly predictable.
The first stage is always recon. Those guys hate going in blind, so if we keep on our toes, we should have a solid warning that something is up.
Next comes shock and awe: They get in position and strike with overwhelming force to minimize casualties on their side. At this point we hopefully are already in our respective rides and out of here. We spread out and hope they don't have enough back up to catch everyone.

What I do worry about is a more subtle attack: A mind control spell, a gas attack or a well chosen black mail to gain a traitor. That could be as devastating as a bomb dropped from above.

All in all the plan is: Get the family to a new home and receive a paycheck, while not getting shot.

Oh and one other thing: Your bouncer stance will get you shot with those people. There is no one to be scared away - just people who will shoot an obvious guard before he can react. Get behind some cover so you are able to counter when the flash bangs start flying."
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #542 on: <07-17-15/1724:41> »
That's probably why they call me the Frenchman. He answered Nitro after his accent remark.

ISaint, I don't need much sleep. Three short hours and I'm good to go for a full day. Don't even need Soycaf after lunch.

Now, let's say I've been under a rock until a couple days ago and my matrix connection wasn't cooperating when I got out. Can anyone explain to me in simple words what's that Boston and Sybil virus all about?
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #543 on: <07-17-15/1749:35> »
Aaron takes in Isaint's words and suddenly looks irritated and fidgety. He shuffles back and forth a bit, then resignedly begins walking around, looking for entry points and cover against them.
"Street thugs are more my thing." he says over his shoulder in a vague effort to justify himself.

"Just my luck. Nobody to hit, nothing to shoot. Just wait for the bombs to fall and get out of the way."
Aaron visibly bristled at the prospect of their current situation, but there was nothing he could do that he wasn't already besides having another beer. So he did.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #544 on: <07-17-15/1750:00> »
"As far as I understand it, it's bodysnatchers with nanites overwriting your brain. The more tech and nanites you have in your body, the greater the danger to become infected.
Now it seems that Boston and especially NeoNET got hit with a new variation: It works faster and there seems to be a fair degree of coordination behind it.
Whoever could control that stuff, could become an absolute ruler with a world full of fanatic followers."

Isaint scratched his beard that he had been growing over the last hour.
"Pretty scary, and possibly the key behind why some want the Doc alive and some dead."
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #545 on: <07-17-15/1841:54> »
The Frenchman raised an eyebrow. He didn't think he had any nanites in him, but he was heavily modified. If he understood properly he was a potential body for infection.
How does that 'Virus' propagate? Are you saying there are powers around who are encouraging that propagation?
That eTher girl at the Hotel, she is NeoNet isn't she? 

adamu

« Reply #546 on: <07-17-15/2020:31> »
[Thursday June 18th, 2076, Al’s Machine Shop, Docklands, London]

"Al buddy... how about trying to fix that van of yours. I don't know much about fixing stuff but Nitro seemed interested... I bet he has already started. The dude seems very energetic...  and I'd totally like to learn a little bit, just in case one of my drones ever survive a hit... Are you sober enough for the gig?"

The skinny unshaven man slitted his eyes. Five minutes dozing was about the first sleep he'd had in two days. And now it was over. He motioned with his chin across the room. "Looks like our alternahaired friend done already got started. But sure, ol' Al don't mind seein' how things is goin'."

He dragged himself to his feet, scratched his as contemplatively, then sauntered over to his shot-up van.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #547 on: <07-17-15/2023:04> »
Nitro nods along listening to Solo as he continues poking around inside the van. "Ahhhh Genetech is pretty much fine, they mostly use retroviruses to do tha work. It's less addin to tha body as it is alterin it, heck of a lot ya can do to a metahuman body once ya star optimisin their DNA. Now nanites on tha other han 'ave a some people pissin their pants, pha! Ya steer clear o headcases ya fine, if ya get up close an perssonal than it aint really gonna matta watchya got or not eh?"

He pulls his head out of the van for a bit, looking it over then back at Solo with a grin. "Hmmm, now lemmie get sommin strait, we gots oursself an egghead who lossa people want.. some for his 'ead, some to smear his 'ead over the nearest available wall eh? Allso earin rumlins of a Johnson who's gone AWOL leavin you lot holdin a greased pig with a spotlight shinnin outchya ass. Well, don think I can halp much with what ya gonna do with 'im, but I reakin I can halp with how ya gonna get 'im there." he pauses to nod and grin at Solo "Ya be sayin wa wanna try out those hot wheels o yourse on tha streets eh? Well, I jus 'apen to ave some ties with tha London street racing scene, I coul mebbey make some calls, get some boys to setup a race meet nearby. We split tha marks up among our cars, dun wanna be riskin some git droppin' a fuckin missile up our tailpipe to solve all tha problems at once, we rok up to tha meet, break it up and slip away among twenny somthin vehicles." This time be pauses to look at Al, jerking his head towards the wrecked van "Inna meantime we fix this slag'eap up bes we can, then at tha meet give it over to a few o' tha boys to take a joyride, now dun worry I'll tell tha boys ta look af'er it. But seems my guess is lass time anyon saw tha marks they was all pilled in it yah? They see this thin tearin away from a meet will hopfully pull a few away from tha ressof us."
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

adamu

« Reply #548 on: <07-17-15/2032:45> »

Al shrugged. "Sounds fine ta me. Dependin' o' course on the wheres, whens an' so forth o' the meet." He patted the side of the non-descript white Bulldog, identical to thousands of others in London. "We use 'er as a decoy, I'll strip the morph plates and spoof reg off 'er first. Too much hassle ta replace. Anyhoo, it'll all be down ta the details once we settle on the buyer. Fer now, yeah, grab another beer an' let's git ta work."

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #549 on: <07-17-15/2042:29> »
Solo nods at Nitro. Augmentations were not a path that he considered before but chaos wizards do not tend to follow rules. They take anything that work, magical or not. Augmentations won't happen this specific mission tough, and magic could be a powerful ally to mimic their effects.
When Nitro speaks about street racing he answers "I'd appreciate it... will be fun to explore the limits of that mirage." . Afterwards, he carefully look and try to help as much as he can when the two runners begin working on the technical stuff of repairing. If Solo is really going to invest some of his attention in rigging he might as well learn a little bit about how to fix the darn things. He had a technical sense and was capable in fixing hardware and electronics, plain mechanics were beyond his experience.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #550 on: <07-18-15/0507:46> »
The Frenchman raised an eyebrow. He didn't think he had any nanites in him, but he was heavily modified. If he understood properly he was a potential body for infection.
How does that 'Virus' propagate? Are you saying there are powers around who are encouraging that propagation?

"I've got no idea who eTher is. First time I hear this name was tonight. But the virus isn't a virus but nanites that corrupt and reprogram other nanites. As I understand it, those little buggers are used in non-invasive surgeries to coat bones with titanium, thread wires to your reflexes and other such stuff. Some of those stay behind and are integrated in the whole structure, same as buildings that have been build with smart materials. Allegedly, that's also the reason why some buildings and a lot of nanoforged weapons have turned to rubble/slag: They were infected, there dormant nanites tried to rewrite a nonexistent brain and in the process destroyed their structures. Nasty stuff all around.
And yes, there is always someone horrible enough to thrive and profit from a disaster like this.
But again, this is all speculation as far as I can see. Boston seems to be a different strain - faster, nastier and with purpose."

Isaint paused.
"Assuming that some of those "headcases", as they are called, infiltrated S-K or whoever attacked us and executed that ambush, we'll have the devil of a time to get the Doc to safety, so he can continue his work."

talk think matrix

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #551 on: <07-18-15/0927:36> »

"I've got no idea who eTher is. First time I hear this name was tonight. But the virus isn't a virus but nanites that corrupt and reprogram other nanites. As I understand it, those little buggers are used in non-invasive surgeries to coat bones with titanium, thread wires to your reflexes and other such stuff. Some of those stay behind and are integrated in the whole structure, same as buildings that have been build with smart materials. Allegedly, that's also the reason why some buildings and a lot of nanoforged weapons have turned to rubble/slag: They were infected, there dormant nanites tried to rewrite a nonexistent brain and in the process destroyed their structures. Nasty stuff all around.
And yes, there is always someone horrible enough to thrive and profit from a disaster like this.
But again, this is all speculation as far as I can see. Boston seems to be a different strain - faster, nastier and with purpose."

Isaint paused.
"Assuming that some of those "headcases", as they are called, infiltrated S-K or whoever attacked us and executed that ambush, we'll have the devil of a time to get the Doc to safety, so he can continue his work."

Solo smiles at Frenchman, he catches their conversation in one of his beer brakes he adds:
" Don't you remember her Frenchman? You danced together earlier this night .  Quite a looker a senior manager in NeoNet, decking and magic skills and a drake.  I'd figured you remember dancing with such a memorable lady.

...  I discovered her Decker name  eTher  when I was feeding you data during that dance.  Apparently Al has her number - they worked together in the past or something like that.

To Isaint: eTher was probobly the one in command on the team of runners you whacked in oxford ...  Did you get the impression that they wanted the doc alive? 
"   

« Last Edit: <07-18-15/0932:17> by gilga »

adamu

« Reply #552 on: <07-18-15/1213:37> »

The two men had set to work on the van, Solo watching and learning.

Al was impressed. The new guy definitely knew his way around an engine, and he was sharp. The way he could work went beyond just knowing what to do - it was like he was playing chess with the shot-up van, plotting what the next three steps would be with preternatural foresight, almost as though he could anticipate all the roadblocks the severe damage would throw across their path.

They were making incredible progress, four hands working as one, and then, for no reason Al could tell, the damned hippy just seemed to get bored and wandered off. Turning to their student, Al put out his spent cigarette on a carburator head and said, "Well, looks like I'm on my own now." And he got back to work.

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #553 on: <07-18-15/1222:43> »
Oh, I remember her alright, just wanted to confirm her affiliation. If you ask, a little too teenage looking for my taste. But, hey, the girl can move, you got to give her that.
That Sybil shit is scary, I got to concede. That said, I still think we should secure what's in the doc's head on top of the individual himself; transfer or copy it to a datalock. 

The Frenchman shook his head at the trio sharing beers and grease under the van. Sure, Al had a pretty fancy installation, but it was the middle of the night and the next day could become frantic very fast. He had hope for a fully alert team.

I admire your dedication guys, but it's the middle of the night, you should all get rest the way ISaint suggested. Sleepy head are first to make mistake and in our field it can be deadly. I'm not your mother, you do as you please. ISaint, you should rest too. I usually sleep 12 to 3 in the afternoon. I can keep the watch for tonight.

adamu

« Reply #554 on: <07-18-15/1242:35> »

Al appreciated the Frenchman's advice. And wished he could take it. But his one window for sleep tonight had already been shot by their new engine enthusiast. No reason to lay his own problems on everyone else, and in any case, he'd get more done this way - his van really was in a bad state.

"Well, long as yer gon' be up, Frenchie, might as well be livin' a little," and he tossed the man a beer.

The conversation Solo, Isaint, and the Frenchman had been having while he and nitro worked reminded him he had a text to send.

<<@Silk: That job last year for Fairie Twinkle Dragon. Impression was she was more than just a client, more like a friend of yours. Just how much would you trust her? Got a tasty package here, it's the same sort of thing she sent us into that NeoNet data farm after, it's hot like an August day in Georgia, and we're looking for a buyer that'll make the best use of it, while simultaneously not killing us. Pretty sure she's in the mix already anyway - what do you think?>>

Then he pocketed his comm, took off his jacket, his yellowing wifebeater revealing a variety of body art and scarring, and got back to work on the van. "Solo, sleep if ya can, an' if'n ya can't, hand me that wrench, er, spanner."